Whole Foods bans sale of live lobsters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is about the most idiotic story I have heard in years.

Lobsters, I have been told, are lower on the evolutionary scale than cockroaches.

Do they respond to stimuli, can they seek out food, do they take self protective actions? They sure do.

But so do earthworms, the fore mentioned cockroaches, the lowly mosquito, and bed bugs, to name a few.

Who in the Whole Foods chain came up with this anthropomorphic view of the lobster, I have no idea.

That genius just lost my business from the market.

From now on, Whole Foods will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobster products at its more than 180 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, said Margaret Wittenberg, vice president of quality standards. And the chain will only deal with suppliers meeting their standards for humane treatment, handling and processing.

That is a direct quote from the article. So they will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobsters :LOL: So they dont mind if they are frozen to death or cooked before they purchase them to sell. :wacko:

Or - What about the shrimp and local seafood they buy right off the dock that's 2 blocks away from our Whole Foods?

Or - what about that screaming sound you hear when you tear a head of lettuce from the ground, or pluck the beans from the plant? :rolleyes:

Wonder where he's gonna stop?

I think this is just a publicity stunt to make the owner look oh, so PC.

It was only a matter of time. I posted a Washington Post article over on the Seafood forum last month announcing Whole Food's decision to stop selling live softshell crabs. They made mention at that time that they were also reviewing their policy concerning live lobster & crayfish.

So what's next? Live clams, mussels, oysters, etc.? They're live when sold.

You can thank the PETA people for this nonsense.

"...they could not ensure the creatures are treated with respect and compassion."

But eating them is OK?:wacko:

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the wackos have just secured another foothold. For some reason, it is okay for all the other predators in the world to be predators, but since humans are the ultimate predators, we are for some reason thought of by other humans as being evil.

Many of the people who think this way seem to also think the world would be better off without humans, and the amazing thing to me is that they are not generally seen as being insane. Think of it this way, what if a Bengal tiger suddenly started attempting genocide on all other Bengal tigers because he felt guilty about being a predator? The thing is, this would never happen, because Bengal tigers feel no guilt whatsoever about predation.

We've already endured many problems regarding our "inhumane" treatment of chickens and bovines. The thing most people don't realize is that "free range chickens" only means they can leave the chicken coop whenever they want to; they still come back to eat, and perhaps the biggest point here is that they do.

As to bovines, most of them wouldn't even exist if it weren't for us breeding and protecting them. I am reminded of the time an animal rights group "freed" a bunch of mink. The next morning, most of them were found squashed on the adjacent highway.

Yes, we affect our environment. So has any predator who has ever lived. So has the prey. As evolution has decreed, over and over again, if we don't deserve to live, we won't. Spare me the moralizing. We eat what we eat, and if we have learned to farm, domesticate, and harvest animals, good for us. The main thing we do that the other predators have not is to make sure our prey survives.

Our dentition and history mark us as omnivores, and I for one am glad of it. I love fruits, nuts, plants, animals, and whatever else you set in front of me. If I want live lobster, this is my right as being a member of the genus and species at the top of the food chain.

I have incisors, canines, and molars, which evolved to let me pretty much eat any thing I ****-well please. I really hate it when someone tells me that the human digestive tract does not contain the necessary "enzymes" to digest red meat. Idiots!

Screw people who are against people!

Sorry for the rant, but this is the sort of thing that really burns me up! I'm really glad no chains in my neighborhood have succumbed to such idiocy!

Kelly

Last edited:
Good thoughts, Kelly - I don't think the big chains are going to follow suit; as I said before, I think this is a publicity stunt created by the owner of WF to gain more attention, and seem more PC. He's been interviewed all over the place this past couple of weeks - not on the lobster issue, but on his 'philosophy' in general. He's just another aging hippie who's found corporate greed - IMVVHO!:) :angel:

I am just glad I live in a part of the country where the last place you would need to go for lobster is WF. I think this new policy is beyond stupid! Like others have said, what next?

KellyM said:
... I really hate it when someone tells me that the human digestive tract does not contain the necessary "enzymes" to digest red meat. Idiots!...

I actually have a article that argues the human digestive system is MORE appropriate for digesting meat than it is for digesting vegetable matter.

marmalady said:
Good thoughts, Kelly - I don't think the big chains are going to follow suit; as I said before, I think this is a publicity stunt created by the owner of WF to gain more attention, and seem more PC. He's been interviewed all over the place this past couple of weeks - not on the lobster issue, but on his 'philosophy' in general. He's just another aging hippie who's found corporate greed - IMVVHO!:) :angel:

Oh, an aging hippie? You really think so? I have never seen him, but this distresses me even more, being from that era myself. Most "real" hippies (as opposed to the new, twenty-something variety) I know are a good deal more practical than that these days. Starbucks Coffee was started by hippies, you know.

Nothing wrong with old hippies becoming the "establishment" (this has always been the natural course of things) unless they're idiots! Okay, now that I think about it, so maybe this is the natural course of things as well. Sigh...

Kelly

KellyM said:
Oh, an aging hippie? You really think so? I have never seen him, but this distresses me even more, being from that era myself. Most "real" hippies (as opposed to the new, twenty-something variety) I know are a good deal more practical than that these days. Starbucks Coffee was started by hippies, you know.

Nothing wrong with old hippies becoming the "establishment" (this has always been the natural course of things) unless they're idiots! Okay, now that I think about it, so maybe this is the natural course of things as well. Sigh...

Kelly

Lol, Kelly, I'm from that era too! Yes, when I saw him on 60 minutes a few weeks ago, there were lots of old shots of him in the late 60's, early 70's, when he had his first 'health food coop'.

Gotta agree with Kelly on pretty much everything he said.

Personally, I don't even like lobster, so it's not an issue for me. (geebs, jennyema, and Andy M. are free to feed me a fresh one and convince me otherwise)

As another member of the original Woodstock nation tribe/annoying boomer (select your description, younger ones), I think it's rather ironic that younger folks who profess to espouse the values of the hippie era are more eager to tell you what you CAN'T eat, say, think, etc. than we were.

Just so much Koolaid over the dam, IMO.

Am with mudbug.

No, not on the lobster thing (you mean there really is someone out there who does not like the bugs?)

But if I can remember correctly, and lived through those years, the mantra was 'do your own thing'.

Now I would just go back to the old live and let live, but it is the same idea.

But mudbug, you don't like lobster?

No such thing as a foodie failing in my opinion Mudbug. Going along with your thought, to me a foodie is someone who loves food. Just because there is something you don't like, that is not a downfall.

And when you come up north to visit me (open invitation anytime!!!) I will change your mind about those suckers!

Lobsters are bugs of the sea. They literally are no different from cockroaches besides their size.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom