Whole Foods, what to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I workd near a WF so I'm there a lot.

Their 365 b rand chocolate chunks have 72% cacao and are healthier than the choc chips sold locally so I get them.

Naked juices are a dollar less each there.

I buy other things only if they are on sale or if I can't get them elsewhere.

I go there once every couple of months. Like others have said some things its the only place in town with it.
But I look around alot. My wife calls me a professional window shopper.

As always, DC comes through! Thanks for all the great advice, guys!

Sometimes you can find a real bargain at the WF...it's nice to have an idea of what you pay for things already and only look at those things you normally use. Then when you have scoped those out, then look for those items you rarely find or have never seen and know you will be paying for the novelty.

lol, umm, what?

you lost me, pf. :mellow:

if the angle of the hypotenuse leaves chicago at 3pm travelling magnetic north, what is it's declination?

:D

Last edited:
lol, umm, what?

you lost me, pf. :mellow:

if the angle of the hypotenuse leaves chicago at 3pm travelling magnetic north, what is it's declination?

:D
Answer: 42:D

What don't you understand? 'cuz it still makes sense to my twisted brain.

darn it, i knew you'd get that.

lol.

"scoped those out"; where, at wf? so you mean to only look for things you can't find closer to home?

am i reading that right?

i must be a new yawkuh. i'll look for a bargain anywhere. even at wf, but assume that it's going to be a rareity.

darn it, i knew you'd get that.

lol.

"scoped those out"; where, at wf? so you mean to only look for things you can't find closer to home?

am i reading that right?

i must be a new yawkuh. i'll look for a bargain anywhere. even at wf, but assume that it's going to be a rareity.

No, I meant scoped out those things you would normally buy and compare the prices. Some you will find are more expensive (of course) but sometimes you can find something you normally use at a cheaper or comparable price, or only pennies more for a better product (less additives).

Like I don't mind spending the extra 5 cents a can for Glen Muir Tomatoes at our WF-type store (locally owned) if it keeps me out of Wal-mart.

lol, oh, now i get it.

i've never heard of a profit leader before, only loss leaders... lol, i think you just invented it. :)

Whole paycheck, a second mortgage and I would suggest that you sell the blood of your first born also. And if that is not enough, then may I suggest the eye of newt and the wings of a bat. For a tip to the bagger, an arm and a leg would be nice. :ohmy:

Whole paycheck, a second mortgage and I would suggest that you sell the blood of your first born also. And if that is not enough, then may I suggest the eye of newt and the wings of a bat. For a tip to the bagger, an arm and a leg would be nice. :ohmy:
Guess what, dearie? It's MY paycheck and I'll spend it where I like. You don't shop there. I get that. But some of us do - at least once in awhile. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take almost anything at WF's meat counter over the crappy quality, gas-packaged, antibiotic-laden, conveyor belt meat I've seen sold at the reg'lar supermarket. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
Guess what, dearie? It's MY paycheck and I'll spend it where I like. You don't shop there. I get that. But some of us do - at least once in awhile. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take almost anything at WF's meat counter over the crappy quality, gas-packaged, antibiotic-laden, conveyor belt meat I've seen sold at the reg'lar supermarket. YMMV. ;)

Steve, did you lose your sense of humor for the day? There is no need to attack me. For those who shop in WF, I am happy for them It is called "Freedom of Choice." So sorry if I offended you. I will try to choose my words more carefully and keep my sense of humor to myself from now on. Please accept my deepest apology. It is never my intention to offend anyone at any time.One more thing. My name is Addie, not Dearie. Thank you.

I admit, WF does have an excellent selection of meat cuts. I was not commenting on your paycheck or your ability to purchase food for your family. I am so sorry you took my comment on such a personal level. It certainly wasn't directed strictly at you. It was only a comment made in jest and not pointed at any one individual in DC.

Once again, please accept my deepest, deepest apology. If there is ever a time I hurt your feelings again on such a personal level, please let me know immediately and I will try to make ammends. :)

Last edited:
Addie, I'm not attacking you. LOL. Didn't you see the little winky face? Honestly, it would take a lot more than that to hurt my feelings.

I'm just trying to point out that we all have the right to make our own choices. I'm pretty fussy about what I buy. Maybe some think I'm too fussy. For instance, my wife and I don't buy soda pop. My daughter likes it, and I don't condemn her for liking it. I just tell her if she wants that kind of stuff, she will have to pay for it herself.

I have tried to lighten up a little here at DC, because I realize it takes all kinds to make up a "community."

Last edited:
Addie, I'm not attacking you. LOL. Didn't you see the little winky face? Honestly, it would take a lot more than that to hurt my feelings.

I'm just trying to point out that we all have the right to make our own choices. I'm pretty fussy about what I buy. Maybe some think I'm too fussy. For instance, my wife and I don't buy soda pop. My daughter likes it, and I don't condemn her for liking it. I just tell her if she wants that kind of stuff, she will have to pay for it herself.

I have tried to lighten up a little here at DC, because I realize it takes all kinds to make up a "community."

Sorry, I didn't notice the winking eye. My error. And I agree with you on the soda. One of life's evil products. But to each their own. :)

While I would not by staples, toilet paper or most products readily available elsewhere, Whole Foods is a great source for some things.

Best cheese selection in the Seattle area, with the exception of the Pike Place market shops. Really good wine selection, miles above any supermarket. Good antipasti bar. Lots of other hard to find specialty products.

On the other hand, there are a couple of really good small produce markets really close to my home that have as good, if not better produce. I also have a really good, large Asian market nearby that has great seafood selection and more unusual cuts of meat.

Of note, Whole Foods always seems to have fresh branzini, which I can't seem to find anywhere else, short of Pike Place market.

And...in mid-fall, WF has a wildly amazing selection of mushroom. I swear last year just before Thanksgiving, they had a huge table with at least 20 varieties of shrooms.

Weirdly, they are strangely ignorant of anything outside their wheelhouse though. I was there last week and asked the meat counter if they had guancale and no one behind the counter knew what it was. ???:huh:

While I would not by staples, toilet paper or most products readily available elsewhere, Whole Foods is a great source for some things.

Best cheese selection in the Seattle area, with the exception of the Pike Place market shops. Really good wine selection, miles above any supermarket. Good antipasti bar. Lots of other hard to find specialty products.

On the other hand, there are a couple of really good small produce markets really close to my home that have as good, if not better produce. I also have a really good, large Asian market nearby that has great seafood selection and more unusual cuts of meat.

Of note, Whole Foods always seems to have fresh branzini, which I can't seem to find anywhere else, short of Pike Place market.

And...in mid-fall, WF has a wildly amazing selection of mushroom. I swear last year just before Thanksgiving, they had a huge table with at least 20 varieties of shrooms.

Weirdly, they are strangely ignorant of anything outside their wheelhouse though. I was there last week and asked the meat counter if they had guancale and no one behind the counter knew what it was. ???:huh:

Considering guanciale is not as readily available as pancetta, I wouldn't consider them ignorant for not knowing. It wouldn't even surprise me that some Italian-American markets would not know it either.

i was raised by a pack of wild italians (my parents' plane went down in an italian neighborhood in the jungles of joisey), and i agree most of them wouldn't know a cured pig's cheek if they saw one.

but i think anyone who's used to butchering and cooking certain cheeky animals (pigs, tuna, etc.) knows that cheek meat is the best part.

Last edited:
It really pays to know your prices, Whole Foods has some decent prices, but their specialty items is where they get quite expensive.

I bought raw sugar there cheaper than my regular grocery store and Trader Joe's. I get local eggs for about the same price as regular eggs in the grocery store, (maybe a little more but the cost of eggs fluctuates in the regular grocery). Pantry staples seem competitively priced, especially the store brands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom