"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, oh, now i get it.

i've never heard of a profit leader before, only loss leaders... lol, i think you just invented it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Whole paycheck, a second mortgage and I would suggest that you sell the blood of your first born also. And if that is not enough, then may I suggest the eye of newt and the wings of a bat. For a tip to the bagger, an arm and a leg would be nice.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #33
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Whole paycheck, a second mortgage and I would suggest that you sell the blood of your first born also. And if that is not enough, then may I suggest the eye of newt and the wings of a bat. For a tip to the bagger, an arm and a leg would be nice.
Guess what, dearie? It's MY paycheck and I'll spend it where I like. You don't shop there. I get that. But some of us do - at least once in awhile. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take almost anything at WF's meat counter over the crappy quality, gas-packaged, antibiotic-laden, conveyor belt meat I've seen sold at the reg'lar supermarket. YMMV.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Guess what, dearie? It's MY paycheck and I'll spend it where I like. You don't shop there. I get that. But some of us do - at least once in awhile. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll take almost anything at WF's meat counter over the crappy quality, gas-packaged, antibiotic-laden, conveyor belt meat I've seen sold at the reg'lar supermarket. YMMV.
Steve, did you lose your sense of humor for the day? There is no need to attack me. For those who shop in WF, I am happy for them It is called "Freedom of Choice." So sorry if I offended you. I will try to choose my words more carefully and keep my sense of humor to myself from now on. Please accept my deepest apology. It is never my intention to offend anyone at any time.One more thing. My name is Addie, not Dearie. Thank you.

I admit, WF does have an excellent selection of meat cuts. I was not commenting on your paycheck or your ability to purchase food for your family. I am so sorry you took my comment on such a personal level. It certainly wasn't directed strictly at you. It was only a comment made in jest and not pointed at any one individual in DC.

Once again, please accept my deepest, deepest apology. If there is ever a time I hurt your feelings again on such a personal level, please let me know immediately and I will try to make ammends.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #35
Wine Guy

Addie, I'm not attacking you. LOL. Didn't you see the little winky face? Honestly, it would take a lot more than that to hurt my feelings.

I'm just trying to point out that we all have the right to make our own choices. I'm pretty fussy about what I buy. Maybe some think I'm too fussy. For instance, my wife and I don't buy soda pop. My daughter likes it, and I don't condemn her for liking it. I just tell her if she wants that kind of stuff, she will have to pay for it herself.

I have tried to lighten up a little here at DC, because I realize it takes all kinds to make up a "community."
Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Addie, I'm not attacking you. LOL. Didn't you see the little winky face? Honestly, it would take a lot more than that to hurt my feelings.

I'm just trying to point out that we all have the right to make our own choices. I'm pretty fussy about what I buy. Maybe some think I'm too fussy. For instance, my wife and I don't buy soda pop. My daughter likes it, and I don't condemn her for liking it. I just tell her if she wants that kind of stuff, she will have to pay for it herself.

I have tried to lighten up a little here at DC, because I realize it takes all kinds to make up a "community."
Sorry, I didn't notice the winking eye. My error. And I agree with you on the soda. One of life's evil products. But to each their own.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #37
Head Chef

While I would not by staples, toilet paper or most products readily available elsewhere, Whole Foods is a great source for some things.

Best cheese selection in the Seattle area, with the exception of the Pike Place market shops. Really good wine selection, miles above any supermarket. Good antipasti bar. Lots of other hard to find specialty products.

On the other hand, there are a couple of really good small produce markets really close to my home that have as good, if not better produce. I also have a really good, large Asian market nearby that has great seafood selection and more unusual cuts of meat.

Of note, Whole Foods always seems to have fresh branzini, which I can't seem to find anywhere else, short of Pike Place market.

And...in mid-fall, WF has a wildly amazing selection of mushroom. I swear last year just before Thanksgiving, they had a huge table with at least 20 varieties of shrooms.

Weirdly, they are strangely ignorant of anything outside their wheelhouse though. I was there last week and asked the meat counter if they had guancale and no one behind the counter knew what it was. ???
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
While I would not by staples, toilet paper or most products readily available elsewhere, Whole Foods is a great source for some things.

Best cheese selection in the Seattle area, with the exception of the Pike Place market shops. Really good wine selection, miles above any supermarket. Good antipasti bar. Lots of other hard to find specialty products.

On the other hand, there are a couple of really good small produce markets really close to my home that have as good, if not better produce. I also have a really good, large Asian market nearby that has great seafood selection and more unusual cuts of meat.

Of note, Whole Foods always seems to have fresh branzini, which I can't seem to find anywhere else, short of Pike Place market.

And...in mid-fall, WF has a wildly amazing selection of mushroom. I swear last year just before Thanksgiving, they had a huge table with at least 20 varieties of shrooms.

Weirdly, they are strangely ignorant of anything outside their wheelhouse though. I was there last week and asked the meat counter if they had guancale and no one behind the counter knew what it was. ???
Considering guanciale is not as readily available as pancetta, I wouldn't consider them ignorant for not knowing. It wouldn't even surprise me that some Italian-American markets would not know it either.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

i was raised by a pack of wild italians (my parents' plane went down in an italian neighborhood in the jungles of joisey), and i agree most of them wouldn't know a cured pig's cheek if they saw one.

but i think anyone who's used to butchering and cooking certain cheeky animals (pigs, tuna, etc.) knows that cheek meat is the best part.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It really pays to know your prices, Whole Foods has some decent prices, but their specialty items is where they get quite expensive.

I bought raw sugar there cheaper than my regular grocery store and Trader Joe's. I get local eggs for about the same price as regular eggs in the grocery store, (maybe a little more but the cost of eggs fluctuates in the regular grocery). Pantry staples seem competitively priced, especially the store brands.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote