Whole Foods, what to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I meant scoped out those things you would normally buy and compare the prices. Some you will find are more expensive (of course) but sometimes you can find something you normally use at a cheaper or comparable price, or only pennies more for a better product (less additives).

Like I don't mind spending the extra 5 cents a can for Glen Muir Tomatoes at our WF-type store (locally owned) if it keeps me out of Wal-mart.

I have never been to Walmarts. It is too far away from my home and would require a car to get there. Son #1 has an account there. He buys his work clothes there and underwear. No groceries. If I need something and he is going there he will pick something up for me. Other than than that I have no need for Walmarts.

I find their practices against women and other minorities unacceptable. They have too many issues that they need to address. Therefor, I will not contribute to their practices for any purchases that I can find elsewhere. Even if it cost more. In spite of the many lawsuits that have been filed against them, they have not learned their lessons. If my son chooses to shop there and pick me up an article on his own, that is his business. I don't tell others how or where to spend their money. And I don't expect them the adopt or practice my beliefs. :)

Weirdly, they are strangely ignorant of anything outside their wheelhouse though. I was there last week and asked the meat counter if they had guancale and no one behind the counter knew what it was. ???:huh:
I Googled and couldn't figure out what it was from the search results. I did find, "if you know your guancale from your pancetta get in touch couple of vacancies to fill" as a twitter post, https://twitter.com/ChefAlexTyndall/statuses/61024016483360768.

It's a very traditional ingredient for carbonara pastas.

Pancetta works just fine. I'm betting that for every "traditional" recipe using guanciale, there are an equal number that use pancetta.;)

Pancetta works just fine. I'm betting that for every "traditional" recipe using guanciale, there are an equal number that use pancetta.;)

How did this digress? I wasn't arguing. Use pancetta, bacon, whatever. It is still a traditional ingredient, and yes, not so much in the US.

My point was that WF has a bunch of meat mongers in a store that has some emphasis on specialty products and they don't know what it is.

Sheesh.....

How did this digress? I wasn't arguing. Use pancetta, bacon, whatever. It is still a traditional ingredient, and yes, not so much in the US.

My point was that WF has a bunch of meat mongers in a store that has some emphasis on specialty products and they don't know what it is.

Sheesh.....

It was not my intention to seem argumentative, but I cringe anytime someone uses the word "traditional" when it comes to a particular dish.:rolleyes: Maybe if it is a family recipe/dish, then it might be appropriate. Then again, why does someone like grandmas version better than aunt Bettys? Recipes (not talking about baking formulas) shouldn't be "cookie cutter". That would be boring!:huh:

Back
Top Bottom