"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Whole Foods, what to get?

Okay, we are hicks from the sticks. Will be visiting Minneapolis to see family soon. There's a Whole Foods, recently opened, within a few blocks of Baby Bro's house. His wife loves it, Baby Bro terms it "Whole Paycheck". Apparently quite expensive. What are the good things to get there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

BTW, they also have a Costco close by, which we plan on visiting. Got that covered.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Okay, we are hicks from the sticks. Will be visiting Minneapolis to see family soon. There's a Whole Foods, recently opened, within a few blocks of Baby Bro's house. His wife loves it, Baby Bro terms it "Whole Paycheck". Apparently quite expensive. What are the good things to get there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

BTW, they also have a Costco close by, which we plan on visiting. Got that covered.
Bulk rice, bulk salt, bulk oatmeal....see a trend here? Also perfect for picking out spices that you only need a little of or would like to try, but only if they have them in bulk...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Bulk rice, bulk salt, bulk oatmeal....see a trend here? Also perfect for picking out spices that you only need a little of or would like to try, but only if they have them in bulk...
So, we will be bulking up? Thought that was what Costco was for! Geez, they also have a nearby Penzeys.

I am feeling really deprived.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Too expensive. WFM customers = rich people who don't like to cook and would rather visit their expensive deli and reheat dinners and pretend they cooked them.

My best tip: Get some Lundberg "Jubilee" mixed brown rice, WFM is my only local supplier. Also WFM has some really nice/rare cheeses.

Their meats and seafood can't be beat, unless cost is some object.

I visit Trader Joe's a couple times a week, and WFM a couple times a month. I spend $50-$70 at Trader Joe's, I spend $10-$12 at WFM.

Have a look at WFM's soaps, particularly Zum Bars from IndigoWild. WFM sells them by the pound, you cut off as much as you want from logs of various scented soaps. I've been a WFM customer for decades and I remember their boutique soaps as being my initial draw. My advice: cut a very few thin slices from fragrances that smell good. If you like them you can return to WFM or order online.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We stopped in one in Mpls last year, and found them to be horrendously expensive. Will check out the cheese/seafood/rice!

Love Trader Joe's, of course we don't have them around here either.

Oh, I remember seeing the soaps! Will have to cut off a few slices! They smelled really good! Thanks, Greg!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I'd love to hear if anybody else likes Lundberg Jubilee rice. It's my #1 favorite brown rice. It's a mixture of several different brown and wild rices.

My #1 favorite white rice is Thai jasmine long grain (not broken) rice.

Hey, if y'all are anywhere where they have Sunflower markets they are a very viable competitor to WFM and TJ's, around the same price line as TJ's. They are apparently only in the Southwest and nearby states: CA, UT, NV, AZ, NM, OK, TX... My emotions surge remembering living in SF NM for a summer and visiting Sunflower 2-3 times a week. (SF NM also has WFM and TJ's.)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So, we will be bulking up? Thought that was what Costco was for! Geez, they also have a nearby Penzeys.

I am feeling really deprived.
Bulk in that you get to pick the size you want. Buying two ponds of oatmeal in bulk at WF is cheaper than at Costco and I don't have to get 10 pounds of it. Same with the rice, and they have all kinds of rice to choose from.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Bulk in that you get to pick the size you want. Buying two ponds of oatmeal in bulk at WF is cheaper than at Costco and I don't have to get 10 pounds of it. Same with the rice, and they have all kinds of rice to choose from.
This is what I need to know! Thanks, PF!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

WFM has bins of all kinds of grains that you can scoop out as much as you want and pay for just that.

My general rule is that WFM is where you go to buy things you can't find anywhere else.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Half Baked

I have gone there a few times and usually don't come out with much. Too expensive for what you get. I do like to get ideas from their deli salads when I am there.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote