"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

That was classic! Thank you for sharing, reminds me of the old book "Kids Say the Darndest Things!"

And Thank you for also sharing your thoughts GW, you obviously have a very sincere heart....its nice to see that in this day and age!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Kids got it down, it's when we grow up we make it complicated

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Remember Art Linkletter, anyone? Even back then kids still came up with this stuff. GW, your list was great - - - but that's just not how kids think. They still said the silly stuff, even back then.

...even when she looks like a truck - priceless!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Remember Art Linkletter, anyone? Even back then kids still came up with this stuff. GW, your list was great - - - but that's just not how kids think. They still said the silly stuff, even back then.

It's been my experiene that kids are much more perceptive than people give them credit for. Their remarks are, for the most part, without guile, and are given in sincerity. Those remarks are responses to the world they continually witness.

When a child says something like (and this isn't on the list) "Not married, because married people just yell at each other all the time.", that is what they've seen in their world. It's a sad take on the families that they have seen.

It's not that the child is saying bad things. It's sad that the child's veiw of something that could be wonderful, is skewed by poorly executed family behaviors.

To me, the family is a sacred institution, as is marriage. And the home should be a refuge from the difficulties of the world, a place where you want to be. And your spouse and kids should be the most prescious and important people in your life. Anything less is robbing you and yours of the most basic happiness available in this world.

I know that I seem like a wet blanket right now, but this is very serious to me. We all need to be the best that we can be for our loved ones. That's what I believe with all of my heart, mind, and strength.

Seeeeeey; Goodweed fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Remember Art Linkletter, anyone? Even back then kids still came up with this stuff.
I remember Art Linkletter and his interviewing children. I can't say how much I remember except it was gentile, kind and relaxed. And the kids would say the darndest things.
>>>
I remember a Heinlein story, or a story in a story, {edit: Or was it Alan Sherman?} where Deity (?) created a sex/pleasure organ that would react only to true love. The organ quit working at about 4 years old .....
>>>
About #1, Sharing, no doubt there should be common interest but I feel there has to be divergent interests. I guess the home and property could be an analogy, the house has 'common areas', Wife has her own room for her collections, I have the garage in which she parks her car. I build cars, she rides in them. I lock in the hubs and go off road, Wife can't share this because she's sane and her screaming is too distracting ... ;)
>>>
Quote:
LOL! Wife isn't the prettiest of women, I'm not the handsomest of men. We have never had illusions on this subject. Somehow I can't keep my hands from her ..... And when I look into her eyes ....
>>>
TBC, Dentist appointment. Yee Haw!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Thanks for the laugh, Wayne!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Executive Chef

This was my favorite:

How can a stranger tell if two people are married
Derrick [8] - You might have to guess, based on whether they are yelling at the same kids.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
It's been my experiene that kids are much more perceptive than people give them credit for. Their remarks are, for the most part, without guile, and are given in sincerity. Those remarks are responses to the world they continually witness.

When a child says something like (and this isn't on the list) "Not married, because married people just yell at each other all the time.", that is what they've seen in their world. It's a sad take on the families that they have seen.

It's not that the child is saying bad things. It's sad that the child's veiw of something that could be wonderful, is skewed by poorly executed family behaviors.

To me, the family is a sacred institution, as is marriage. And the home should be a refuge from the difficulties of the world, a place where you want to be. And your spouse and kids should be the most prescious and important people in your life. Anything less is robbing you and yours of the most basic happiness available in this world.

I know that I seem like a wet blanket right now, but this is very serious to me. We all need to be the best that we can be for our loved ones. That's what I believe with all of my heart, mind, and strength.

Seeeeeey; Goodweed fo the North
I can assure you you will never be a "wet blanket" in my eyes. You are a wonderful man and I wish there were more just like you, my friend!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 AM   #19
Master Chef

It's funny here in KZ....I don't think that many of the women are happy with the local crowd.......it's the women who are focused on their children (if they have them) and their careers.... Most of our employees are women and there is a reason......they are aggressive and career-oriented......many have children and no spouses.........they love my husband.......David is old and hairless......so it's not hormonal attraction.......they call him the godfather behind his back......but when we have get-togethers I will pontificate on how to attract a good husband.......all are listening......I always say........look at how your boyfriend treats his mother and other females in the family.....then go from there........
Old 07-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Kids that age are very much influenced by their piers as we all know and will pick up on anything without fully understanding so we must make sure we project the right message. Not all kids would come up with the answers I posted but those answers would have been influenced by comments made by their parents be they in jest or not. I recall my brother being stopped by the police for not having a current rego sticker on his windscreen, while trying to explain to the cop that he hadn't received it his son popped up "Yes you have Dad, you put it in the glove box" sooooooooooo we must be very careful what we say in front of them.