Why Amazon often takes a few days before it ships out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I ve been purchasing on Amazon for years but looks like they don't like to ship out the products the second day after placing the order, the quickest was 3 days, the longest was a week, before they actually ship out. I am not buying something running out of stock or "only a few left", fastest delivery shown is often the next day, but they often do not ship out the next day. Is it because I choose free shipping over $25 so they like to intentionally ship it out later in hope of you purchasing their 2-day free delivery service or something like subscription?
I always combine $25 enough and don't pay shipping cost and always "No thanks" to any free trial.

Last edited:
I haven't had that experience. I order my Mom's briefs through Amazon. I ordered the last case on Tuesday last week around 4 p.m. They were here Wednesday before 5:00. I was expecting them on Friday. I was pretty impressed by that given that my parents live in the back-of-beyond in Northern MN.

Is it because I choose free shipping over $25 so they like to intentionally ship it out later in hope of you purchasing their 2-day free delivery service or something like subscription?
I always combine $25 enough and don't pay shipping cost and always "No thanks" to any free trial.

I’m a Prime subscriber and always had things shipped promptly with a few rare exceptions. So yes, your choosing free shipping could be a factor.

I do watch the Prime video service so I think the subscription is worth it.

I’m a Prime subscriber and always had things shipped promptly with a few rare exceptions. So yes, your choosing free shipping could be a factor.

I do watch the Prime video service so I think the subscription is worth it.

Is it $7.99 or $12.99 for a month? And free shipping of any prices ?

We have an annual subscription. The fee for Amazon Prime is $119 per year or $12.99 per month. All orders include free shipping (unless you buy from a third-party seller - sometimes these are free, sometimes not), plus you get access to free movies and books.

OK $119 Annually is too expensive for me. Amazon earns enough. If $50 a year, I would have subscribed. I don't watch movies or listen to music. Nothing I purchase is urgent.

You can share a Prime membership. I don’t know what the limit is on how many can share one account. With sharing, everyone gets free shipping but only the primary member gets all the other benefits.

You can share a Prime membership.

It use to be the case you share Prime but now it is only with another adult in the same household.

Still, when you compare the cost of Netflix, Hulu, Prime is very reasonable. Having free shipping makes me order stuff from Amazon so I save time by not going to the store.

The amount of stuff I order on Amazon and the time not spent going to stores are definitely worth the price of Prime.
I’m part time caregiver of both my mother and stepmother and if they’re close to running out of essentials I can have most items shipped out to them immediately. They live an hour away from me so this is a huge convenience to have items at their doorstep within 2 days, and often the very next day.
Before Prime free shipping items often took several days, while some were delivered in 2 days if the items came directly from the local Amazon warehouse.

I had prime, but I couldn't justify renewing it. For the most part, I order my Mom's briefs every 6 weeks. The company ships them free and the time it takes for them to arrive is within 24-48 hours.

While we're on the subject of Amazon delivery their delivery system often puzzles me.
Just this afternoon I'm tracking their delivery van on my laptop for my package to arrive and after circling around my block making several deliveries the van parks at the corner from my business, 25 feet away, and proceeds to deliver several packages. The tracking says "you're next" so I'm anxiously waiting for the guy to step into my shop with my package. But no, the next thing I know he drives off and my tracking info suddenly changes to "delayed, on the way, but it may be late" . This usually means I'll get it the next day as this has happened on numerous occasions. WTH??

While we're on the subject of Amazon delivery their delivery system often puzzles me.
Just this afternoon I'm tracking their delivery van on my laptop for my package to arrive and after circling around my block making several deliveries the van parks at the corner from my business, 25 feet away, and proceeds to deliver several packages. The tracking says "you're next" so I'm anxiously waiting for the guy to step into my shop with my package. But no, the next thing I know he drives off and my tracking info suddenly changes to "delayed, on the way, but it may be late" . This usually means I'll get it the next day as this has happened on numerous occasions. WTH??

Clearly, a sternly worded letter is called for.

What drives me crazy are the panic e-mails that no one was at the post office to sign for the Amazon postal deliveries that were just shipped up on the same truck making door-to-door Amazon deliveries. Any driver, even a novice, could get their deliveries done well before the Post Office closing time of 4 PM. Lingle has a population of 470 people, why don't they hit the Post Office first? It's the most central building in the town...

I wouldn't be surprised if my package (most likely a padded, letter sized envelope) was buried in the package rubble inside the van and the guy couldn't find it...??

Yeah, but his tablet should have told him you were next. The packages on the truck are arranged in delivery order on shelves.

I had Prime for 2 months. Free shipping on my first order was great, less than a week.
My next order did not qualify for free shipping as it came from the supplier although I did get free shipping as it was over the required amount.

I cancelled it for the 3rd month. They also refunded me for the previous month when they saw I had not used it for 6 weeks.

I obviously don't buy enough from them to make it worth while. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom