Why & When Had You Joined D.C.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, you mean there was a time you weren't part of DC? And I mean that in the most loving of ways. You just kind of slipped in the back door and joined the party like you had always been here. :heart:

And come on, you would NEVER replace that cherished Hershey recipe :rolleyes:.

I have only been here since 11/11. And no matter how many times I search for other recipes, I keep coming back to Hershey's. Just can't beat it. I am probably one of the oldest members. After 73+ years, I have raised five children, one grandchild, and outlived two husbands. In between all that I have cooked more than my share of meals in the most humble environment possible, (wood stove) learning to tell the temperature of the oven by sticking my hand in to tell if it is ready. And I have had my share of the latest and greatest equipment. I have cooked over campfires and on the newest stove to come off the assembly line. I have scrubbed clothes by hand on a scrubbing board and had the best washer going. But you can't beat hanging clothes out on a clothesline. Two of my children were gifted kids and my granddaughter. they were a challenge to raise. I buried two husbands, one from Alzheimer's and one from throat cancer. Not a fun thing to do. But with all of this I have had a blast. I have seen this country go from the out house to outer space.

I have lived in four different states. I have travelled all over this country. I am a firm believer in Buy America and See America First. I have never had a strong desire to see Europe. I would rather go see the Grand Canyon. The Majestic Rockies. The two oceans that frame our country. Visit the two countries that are our borders and good neighbors.

Now my life is more subdued and quiet. My body is aging in the manner it is supposed to. My children are grateful for all of the experiences I allowed them to have. And for that they now look after me on a daily basis. They are appalled at how they see other children treat or neglect their parents. They still turn to me for information on "how to's." They know that no matter how smart they are, I am still a wealth of information. When Son#1 got vaccinated for smallpox, he called me to ask how to stop the itching. He forgot about putting an ice cube on it. He knew he couldn't use the aloe gel. And he was one of the gifted kids. Mom to the rescue. Some of my knowledge and useful information is straight out of the Middle Ages. but it works and they no longer chide me. I have had a good and interesting life. I wouldn't trade one day. :ermm::cool:

Katie H., CWS and Kadesma,

Ladies, firstly, I have a tremendous amount of empathy, and understand how healing it can be when one is in need of support, suggestions / advice, and / or assistance, or just kindness ...

I had found myself with a Kleenex in hand reading these three ...

Thanks for the beautiful contributions.

Ciao, Have A Nice Evening,
Margi.

Addie,

Buonsera ... Hope that you are feeling better and having a lovely wkend.

Thanks once again for such a lovely contribution chockful of anecdotes, I always look forward to reading ...

Here´s to Hershey´s ...

Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.

Oh, Ma, it is the best! I now have the best Ma a girl could ever ask for, three sisters I never knew I had and a hugge extended family! M love/hate complaint was with the DC version on my phone.

Addie, I really meant that it just feels like you have been here longer because you have fit in so well. I, like Margi a dprobably almost everyone here, love to read your stories, advice and encouragement. And as for Hershey, I am going to have to try that recipe one of these days. (Don't tell anyone but I still use their chocolate chip cookie recipe lol)

Addie,

Buonsera ... Hope that you are feeling better and having a lovely wkend.

Thanks once again for such a lovely contribution chockful of anecdotes, I always look forward to reading ...

Here´s to Hershey´s ...

Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.

The Hershey's recipe on the back of the cocoa can is the most chocolately flavor you will find for the cake and the frosting. Can't rave about it enough. :yum::yum:

Addie, I really meant that it just feels like you have been here longer because you have fit in so well. I, like Margi a dprobably almost everyone here, love to read your stories, advice and encouragement. And as for Hershey, I am going to have to try that recipe one of these days. (Don't tell anyone but I still use their chocolate chip cookie recipe lol)

I have always said if you want to have true flavor go to the experts. You wouldn't go to a lemon site for good chocolate flavor. The experts have research kitchens and are at work every day to improve their product. :)

I just joined last November and I am still a newbie. I used to read the DC forum some years ago although not as a member. So in some ways, I feel it is good to be back.

In November I think I was searching for weekly menu planning ideas as I felt I was in some kind of narrow repetitive cycle. While I found what maybe I was looking for elsewhere, the menus people presented looked like "Lists" and while it looked like everyone was playing in the same sandbox there was little interaction as though they paid attention to their neighbor only out of the corners of their eyes. When I found the DC WFD threads, I said , this isn't entirely what I want. I want a Defintiive Extended Plan. Well, That's pretty drastic and unrealistic and incompatible with how my life goes anyway. :LOL: However, once I started reading these threads and others, one soon gets a sense that members pay attention and appreciate each other's contributions.

I am pretty sure my intention was to just stop in for a quick cup of coffee only I decided this time to stay for the conversation. Thanks to you all. :yum::)

I was (and still am) a member of another cooking forum. Another member posted an invitation to Discuss Cooking at the other site, and as soon as I checked it out, I loved it. I actually paid for a lifetime membership at the other cooking forum, but I spend much more time here. I have been at DC since April 2004. :cool:

Barbara, you've been here longer than that. I came over in 2002 and you were already here.

My story is almost the same as Barbara's. Except I'm not on the other boards anymore. I'm too cheap!

LPBeier said:
I'm still trying to get used to the Android App....and I think it is still trying to get used to me too! So far it has been a bit of a love/hate relationship, but I know we will work out our differences!

Hang in there! The iPad app lacks many of the features of the website, but is so quick and convenient. Android is probably similar.

I can't remember what brought me here other then my love of all food related topics.

The reason I have stayed has been the friendly atmosphere. The good definitely out weighs anything negative on board I have came across. I received a warm welcome when I joined and enjoy reading the off topic forums as much as the food related forums. :)

@ Addie, I would never have guessed you were a relatively newer member, you certainly fit in well with the longtime members. :)

:chef: Buon Giorno Barbara,

As always, it is a pleasure to have your feedback ... Please do tell us, and the New Members; How has D.C. changed since 2004 ?

What were some of themes that were posted at that time ? How do they differ ?

From your viewpoint, which oldies but goodies do you miss ?

Eight years is a long time, and thus, how have the Members changed and are there Members who are still actively posting ?

Thanks so much for all your valuable input.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Ciao,
Margi. :yum:
As Alix reminded me, I have actually been here since 2002 (it just has the wrong date at the left). Wow, so many things have changed that I can't even think of most of them! A lot of features have been added since I started, such as the calendar, member photos, and many of the forums, all of which is natural since we grew so much. DC is under different ownership than when I first joined, and many changes were made to bring it up-to-date.

One of the things that I have always loved about DC is that no one is a stranger unless they choose to be. When you join, you are family. Also, some very real friendships have developed here. As Laurie said, I have found three sisters I never knew I had, and although I haven't met them in person yet (have talked on the phone to two of them) I love them as much as blood sisters and fully intend to meet them someday.

DC has gotten me through many frustrations in life, not just with cooking. It is a place where I can share the joys of my life. Second to the Bible and my family, it is probably the place where I turn for answers more than any other. So, with all the ups and downs of any relationship, all of you at Discuss Cooking are a real part of my life. :cool:

My husband (Maidrite is his user name here--he isn't on as much as he used to be, but he still pops in now and then) and I have had the very good fortune to meet almost 20 DC members so far. One has since died, and some just moved on, but we still keep in touch with most of them.

I was a moderator for awhile, and I really enjoyed doing that. Now I just pop in and give my two hundred dollars worth (I talk too much to just give my two cents worth!) and enjoy reading how things are going for my DC family.

Barbara, you've been here longer than that. I came over in 2002 and you were already here.

My story is almost the same as Barbara's. Except I'm not on the other boards anymore. I'm too cheap!
I KNEW I was here since 2002, but for some reason the thing under my avatar says 2004, so I figured I was mistaken. I know I had to be here longer than you (by a week or two) because I invited you! Thanks for reassuring me that I wasn't crazy when I thought I was here that long! :wacko:

I KNEW I was here since 2002, but for some reason the thing under my avatar says 2004, so I figured I was mistaken. I know I had to be here longer than you (by a week or two) because I invited you! Thanks for reassuring me that I wasn't crazy when I thought I was here that long! :wacko:

Yep. After the infamous BBQ argument! ;) It was December-ish for me. You'd been here a while by then.

I was active on the TV Food Network site for awhile, then they shut down. The reasons for that were obvious: Not commercial enough, and not enough site moderators to filter the kooks out. My opinion only. When they closed, someone who participated directed me to this site. Been here since. Can't tell you how many years.

I'd always been the "go to" person in my family, and among many of my friends, for practical cooking advice (for example, a nephew once called me from a grocery store, thousands of miles away, to guide him through purchases for a dinner he wanted to make for a new girlfriend. My sisters call me annually to help them through tourtiere during the holidays. And I'm often helping people at the grocery store who are confused). So I love this site.

It isn't just the food, either. I've had help through having to put two dear pets down over the years, and help training my new shelter dog. We cry on each others' shoulders through tragedies and rejoice through victories.

Yep. After the infamous BBQ argument! ;) It was December-ish for me. You'd been here a while by then.
I will never forget the infamous BBQ argument! The funny thing is Kitchenelf, Dove, James, and I have eaten at the one party's BBQ place. :LOL:
I was active on the TV Food Network site for awhile, then they shut down. The reasons for that were obvious: Not commercial enough, and not enough site moderators to filter the kooks out. My opinion only. When they closed, someone who participated directed me to this site. Been here since. Can't tell you how many years.

I'd always been the "go to" person in my family, and among many of my friends, for practical cooking advice (for example, a nephew once called me from a grocery store, thousands of miles away, to guide him through purchases for a dinner he wanted to make for a new girlfriend. My sisters call me annually to help them through tourtiere during the holidays. And I'm often helping people at the grocery store who are confused). So I love this site.

It isn't just the food, either. I've had help through having to put two dear pets down over the years, and help training my new shelter dog. We cry on each others' shoulders through tragedies and rejoice through victories.
We got a lot of new [family] members when that one shut down! :cool:

I remember how I found this place. I was looking for recipes for quark. Once I found this site, I loved it and joined, like so many others here.

To All Of The Contributors On This Post

Buon Giorno, Ladies and Gents,

:) I wish to take a moment to thank all of you for your feedback, anecdotes, compelling information and your profound human interest side stories too, which have certainly touched a few chords here and there ...

Lovely input and again, thanks alot for your heartfelt input ...

Have a nice Sunday,
Ciao.
Margi

Buon Giorno Addie,

Yes, I am in agreement, that it seems you have spent more than just one year at D.C.

In reference to Hershey´s : Eva, my Mom used to prepare a Hershey Chocolate Cake when I was in pre-school and primary. However, she is Swiss French, and chocolate is a profound part of these two cultures, even today.

When I had moved over to Manhattan, at 17 1/2 to go to NYU School of Journalism, I stayed with my paternal Grandmom Margherite, and she made very few chocolate confections. However, her Tiramisù, Sicilian Cannoli and her cheesecakes were divine ...

I have posted her Tiramisù and a couple of cheesecakes ... One is a Cappucchino Cheesecake ... I have not yet posted her Cannoli, as I need to translate it from Italian to English. Time consuming ... However, I shall get to it in July when I am in Puglia, and relaxing.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Thanks for all your culinary advice, and your wonderful anecdotes and human interest sincerely told stories about your life and the lives of those who touch yours.

Always a pleasure.
Ciao,
Margi. Cintrano.

I was looking for a recipe (I think it was for the marinated eggplant salad), and the Mothership caught me in her purple beam of light. I couldn't cover myself in hot pink fast enough to hide, and so, here I am, a member of DC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom