"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, you mean there was a time you weren't part of DC? And I mean that in the most loving of ways. You just kind of slipped in the back door and joined the party like you had always been here.

And come on, you would NEVER replace that cherished Hershey recipe .
I have only been here since 11/11. And no matter how many times I search for other recipes, I keep coming back to Hershey's. Just can't beat it. I am probably one of the oldest members. After 73+ years, I have raised five children, one grandchild, and outlived two husbands. In between all that I have cooked more than my share of meals in the most humble environment possible, (wood stove) learning to tell the temperature of the oven by sticking my hand in to tell if it is ready. And I have had my share of the latest and greatest equipment. I have cooked over campfires and on the newest stove to come off the assembly line. I have scrubbed clothes by hand on a scrubbing board and had the best washer going. But you can't beat hanging clothes out on a clothesline. Two of my children were gifted kids and my granddaughter. they were a challenge to raise. I buried two husbands, one from Alzheimer's and one from throat cancer. Not a fun thing to do. But with all of this I have had a blast. I have seen this country go from the out house to outer space.

I have lived in four different states. I have travelled all over this country. I am a firm believer in Buy America and See America First. I have never had a strong desire to see Europe. I would rather go see the Grand Canyon. The Majestic Rockies. The two oceans that frame our country. Visit the two countries that are our borders and good neighbors.

Now my life is more subdued and quiet. My body is aging in the manner it is supposed to. My children are grateful for all of the experiences I allowed them to have. And for that they now look after me on a daily basis. They are appalled at how they see other children treat or neglect their parents. They still turn to me for information on "how to's." They know that no matter how smart they are, I am still a wealth of information. When Son#1 got vaccinated for smallpox, he called me to ask how to stop the itching. He forgot about putting an ice cube on it. He knew he couldn't use the aloe gel. And he was one of the gifted kids. Mom to the rescue. Some of my knowledge and useful information is straight out of the Middle Ages. but it works and they no longer chide me. I have had a good and interesting life. I wouldn't trade one day.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Katie H., CWS and Kadesma,

Ladies, firstly, I have a tremendous amount of empathy, and understand how healing it can be when one is in need of support, suggestions / advice, and / or assistance, or just kindness ...

I had found myself with a Kleenex in hand reading these three ...

Thanks for the beautiful contributions.

Ciao, Have A Nice Evening,
Margi.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Addie,

Buonsera ... Hope that you are feeling better and having a lovely wkend.

Thanks once again for such a lovely contribution chockful of anecdotes, I always look forward to reading ...

Here´s to Hershey´s ...

Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, Ma, it is the best! I now have the best Ma a girl could ever ask for, three sisters I never knew I had and a hugge extended family! M love/hate complaint was with the DC version on my phone.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
Certified Cake Maniac

Addie, I really meant that it just feels like you have been here longer because you have fit in so well. I, like Margi a dprobably almost everyone here, love to read your stories, advice and encouragement. And as for Hershey, I am going to have to try that recipe one of these days. (Don't tell anyone but I still use their chocolate chip cookie recipe lol)

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Addie,

Buonsera ... Hope that you are feeling better and having a lovely wkend.

Thanks once again for such a lovely contribution chockful of anecdotes, I always look forward to reading ...

Here´s to Hershey´s ...

Kind regards,
Ciao, Margi.
The Hershey's recipe on the back of the cocoa can is the most chocolately flavor you will find for the cake and the frosting. Can't rave about it enough.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I really meant that it just feels like you have been here longer because you have fit in so well. I, like Margi a dprobably almost everyone here, love to read your stories, advice and encouragement. And as for Hershey, I am going to have to try that recipe one of these days. (Don't tell anyone but I still use their chocolate chip cookie recipe lol)
I have always said if you want to have true flavor go to the experts. You wouldn't go to a lemon site for good chocolate flavor. The experts have research kitchens and are at work every day to improve their product.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I just joined last November and I am still a newbie. I used to read the DC forum some years ago although not as a member. So in some ways, I feel it is good to be back.

In November I think I was searching for weekly menu planning ideas as I felt I was in some kind of narrow repetitive cycle. While I found what maybe I was looking for elsewhere, the menus people presented looked like "Lists" and while it looked like everyone was playing in the same sandbox there was little interaction as though they paid attention to their neighbor only out of the corners of their eyes. When I found the DC WFD threads, I said , this isn't entirely what I want. I want a Defintiive Extended Plan. Well, That's pretty drastic and unrealistic and incompatible with how my life goes anyway. However, once I started reading these threads and others, one soon gets a sense that members pay attention and appreciate each other's contributions.

I am pretty sure my intention was to just stop in for a quick cup of coffee only I decided this time to stay for the conversation. Thanks to you all.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I was (and still am) a member of another cooking forum. Another member posted an invitation to Discuss Cooking at the other site, and as soon as I checked it out, I loved it. I actually paid for a lifetime membership at the other cooking forum, but I spend much more time here. I have been at DC since April 2004.
Barbara, you've been here longer than that. I came over in 2002 and you were already here.

My story is almost the same as Barbara's. Except I'm not on the other boards anymore. I'm too cheap!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I'm still trying to get used to the Android App....and I think it is still trying to get used to me too! So far it has been a bit of a love/hate relationship, but I know we will work out our differences!
Hang in there! The iPad app lacks many of the features of the website, but is so quick and convenient. Android is probably similar.