"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I can't remember what brought me here other then my love of all food related topics.

The reason I have stayed has been the friendly atmosphere. The good definitely out weighs anything negative on board I have came across. I received a warm welcome when I joined and enjoy reading the off topic forums as much as the food related forums.

@ Addie, I would never have guessed you were a relatively newer member, you certainly fit in well with the longtime members.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno Barbara,

As always, it is a pleasure to have your feedback ... Please do tell us, and the New Members; How has D.C. changed since 2004 ?

What were some of themes that were posted at that time ? How do they differ ?

From your viewpoint, which oldies but goodies do you miss ?

Eight years is a long time, and thus, how have the Members changed and are there Members who are still actively posting ?

Thanks so much for all your valuable input.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Ciao,
Margi.
As Alix reminded me, I have actually been here since 2002 (it just has the wrong date at the left). Wow, so many things have changed that I can't even think of most of them! A lot of features have been added since I started, such as the calendar, member photos, and many of the forums, all of which is natural since we grew so much. DC is under different ownership than when I first joined, and many changes were made to bring it up-to-date.

One of the things that I have always loved about DC is that no one is a stranger unless they choose to be. When you join, you are family. Also, some very real friendships have developed here. As Laurie said, I have found three sisters I never knew I had, and although I haven't met them in person yet (have talked on the phone to two of them) I love them as much as blood sisters and fully intend to meet them someday.

DC has gotten me through many frustrations in life, not just with cooking. It is a place where I can share the joys of my life. Second to the Bible and my family, it is probably the place where I turn for answers more than any other. So, with all the ups and downs of any relationship, all of you at Discuss Cooking are a real part of my life.

My husband (Maidrite is his user name here--he isn't on as much as he used to be, but he still pops in now and then) and I have had the very good fortune to meet almost 20 DC members so far. One has since died, and some just moved on, but we still keep in touch with most of them.

I was a moderator for awhile, and I really enjoyed doing that. Now I just pop in and give my two hundred dollars worth (I talk too much to just give my two cents worth!) and enjoy reading how things are going for my DC family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Barbara, you've been here longer than that. I came over in 2002 and you were already here.

My story is almost the same as Barbara's. Except I'm not on the other boards anymore. I'm too cheap!
I KNEW I was here since 2002, but for some reason the thing under my avatar says 2004, so I figured I was mistaken. I know I had to be here longer than you (by a week or two) because I invited you! Thanks for reassuring me that I wasn't crazy when I thought I was here that long!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I KNEW I was here since 2002, but for some reason the thing under my avatar says 2004, so I figured I was mistaken. I know I had to be here longer than you (by a week or two) because I invited you! Thanks for reassuring me that I wasn't crazy when I thought I was here that long!
Yep. After the infamous BBQ argument! It was December-ish for me. You'd been here a while by then.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Can anyone tell me how DC was started and who owns it? Just curious.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #35
Master Chef

I was active on the TV Food Network site for awhile, then they shut down. The reasons for that were obvious: Not commercial enough, and not enough site moderators to filter the kooks out. My opinion only. When they closed, someone who participated directed me to this site. Been here since. Can't tell you how many years.

I'd always been the "go to" person in my family, and among many of my friends, for practical cooking advice (for example, a nephew once called me from a grocery store, thousands of miles away, to guide him through purchases for a dinner he wanted to make for a new girlfriend. My sisters call me annually to help them through tourtiere during the holidays. And I'm often helping people at the grocery store who are confused). So I love this site.

It isn't just the food, either. I've had help through having to put two dear pets down over the years, and help training my new shelter dog. We cry on each others' shoulders through tragedies and rejoice through victories.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yep. After the infamous BBQ argument! It was December-ish for me. You'd been here a while by then.
I will never forget the infamous BBQ argument! The funny thing is Kitchenelf, Dove, James, and I have eaten at the one party's BBQ place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I was active on the TV Food Network site for awhile, then they shut down. The reasons for that were obvious: Not commercial enough, and not enough site moderators to filter the kooks out. My opinion only. When they closed, someone who participated directed me to this site. Been here since. Can't tell you how many years.

I'd always been the "go to" person in my family, and among many of my friends, for practical cooking advice (for example, a nephew once called me from a grocery store, thousands of miles away, to guide him through purchases for a dinner he wanted to make for a new girlfriend. My sisters call me annually to help them through tourtiere during the holidays. And I'm often helping people at the grocery store who are confused). So I love this site.

It isn't just the food, either. I've had help through having to put two dear pets down over the years, and help training my new shelter dog. We cry on each others' shoulders through tragedies and rejoice through victories.
We got a lot of new [family] members when that one shut down!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I remember how I found this place. I was looking for recipes for quark. Once I found this site, I loved it and joined, like so many others here.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #38
Executive Chef

To All Of The Contributors On This Post

Buon Giorno, Ladies and Gents,

I wish to take a moment to thank all of you for your feedback, anecdotes, compelling information and your profound human interest side stories too, which have certainly touched a few chords here and there ...

Lovely input and again, thanks alot for your heartfelt input ...

Have a nice Sunday,
Ciao.
Margi
Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno Addie,

Yes, I am in agreement, that it seems you have spent more than just one year at D.C.

In reference to Hershey“s : Eva, my Mom used to prepare a Hershey Chocolate Cake when I was in pre-school and primary. However, she is Swiss French, and chocolate is a profound part of these two cultures, even today.

When I had moved over to Manhattan, at 17 1/2 to go to NYU School of Journalism, I stayed with my paternal Grandmom Margherite, and she made very few chocolate confections. However, her Tiramisł, Sicilian Cannoli and her cheesecakes were divine ...

I have posted her Tiramisł and a couple of cheesecakes ... One is a Cappucchino Cheesecake ... I have not yet posted her Cannoli, as I need to translate it from Italian to English. Time consuming ... However, I shall get to it in July when I am in Puglia, and relaxing.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Thanks for all your culinary advice, and your wonderful anecdotes and human interest sincerely told stories about your life and the lives of those who touch yours.

Always a pleasure.
Ciao,
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I was looking for a recipe (I think it was for the marinated eggplant salad), and the Mothership caught me in her purple beam of light. I couldn't cover myself in hot pink fast enough to hide, and so, here I am, a member of DC.