"Why Do I Keep....?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Is there something that you just keep doing over and over and it drives you bonkers?

This morning I went to the pantry to get a tin of dog food. As I do EVERY time I go for a tin of dog food (which is on the left on the pantry shelves), I open the spare fridge on the right and stare mindlessly in it for at least a minute. The thing is I do it EVERY time! It's become hilarious actually. My DH has said I should maybe start storing the tins in the fridge to save a step. Then I will probably look on the shelf first! :wacko::LOL:

What wacky thing do you do over and over? Come on, I am sure we each have at least one! ;)

Last edited:
I look for the ground coffee in the pantry, when I store it in the freezer. I don't always do that, but very often. And yes, I stand there staring at the pantry for a while before I figure it out. Then, when I have made my cup of espresso, I go to put the coffee away in the other refrigerator. Sometimes I look for the milk in the freezer. I'm sure there are more.

I have other things to but for some reason it is ALWAYS the dog food!

Oh, I had a bag of julienne carrots for salads and I used some one day and then I couldn't find them after that. I ended up buying another bag - good thing because when I took the first bag out of the freezer a week later they really weren't edible. :ermm:

I brush bits of food off of the counter on the kitchen floor. I became so used to doing that over the years in the restaurant, from working on busy lines, that I do it at home. Nothing like getting a cold piece of chicken or toast crumbs between your toes.:wacko:

About a month ago I stopped changing Sproutlet number 2's diaper on her changing table. She fought so hard I was worried she would fall and get hurt and we were moving and we had to leave most of our stuff behind for the moving truck, so I figured I wouldn't waste that space in one of our vehicles. Now, almost every time I change Sproutlet number 2's diaper, I get the old diaper opened up and realize I am missing one of 2 things, the wipes or the new diaper. I need 3 things to change the baby's diaper, wipes, a new diaper, and the baby. How can I possibly forget one of three things regularly? Then of course when I have to get up and get whatever I'm missing, I lose the thing three since she hates to have her diaper changed. Also, I often forget Sproutlet number 2 when I put her in time out. I feel terrible about it, but I just keep doing it. I've decided that I'm going to start setting a timer.

Well Laurie, it's hard here cuz, I've been so long away from the kitchen. Now it's time to re-do the pantry the cabnet's, you name it, I need to do it. the Pain of it is, I start to do one thing, then I see another that needs my attention, then I move on to another on and most of the time I end up making cookies either for the kids or the nurses. I end up going to bed and wondering how the day got away from me. Wanna watch me drive my CAR?????
ma

I brush bits of food off of the counter on the kitchen floor. I became so used to doing that over the years in the restaurant, from working on busy lines, that I do it at home. Nothing like getting a cold piece of chicken or toast crumbs between your toes.:wacko:
You need a dog.

Greg Who Cooks said:
You need a dog.

EVERYONE needs a dog. Goes without saying.

I have found the occasional roll of paper towels in the fridge. Our cleaning lady has found some creative places to hide the vaccuum cleaner attachments and squirt stuff. Of course, nowhere near the vac or anything needing squirted.

Last edited:
When we first moved into this home over 13 years ago, I arranged the dishes in a certain way in a double cabinet - dinner plates on the left and sandwich plates on the left. We bought a new set of dishes about 6-7 years ago and for whatever reason SO reversed the location of the dinner and sandwich plates. At least half the time I still open the wrong door when I need a plate. Even worse, sometimes I pause, knowing it's a trick and second guess myself and still open the wrong door.

I can only assume this is a sign of extraordinary intelligence.

When we first moved into this home over 13 years ago, I arranged the dishes in a certain way in a double cabinet - dinner plates on the left and sandwich plates on the left. We bought a new set of dishes about 6-7 years ago and for whatever reason SO reversed the location of the dinner and sandwich plates. At least half the time I still open the wrong door when I need a plate. Even worse, sometimes I pause, knowing it's a trick and second guess myself and still open the wrong door.

Wait until next April Fool's Day and switch them back.

You need a dog.

EVERYONE needs a dog. Goes without saying.
I agree with both statements whole heartedly! :)

Because I do some (I do most in a rented kitchen) professional cooking from my home we have had to baracade the dogs from the kitchen so I don't have the luxury of using them as vacuum cleaners. But they do a good job in the office when we drop crumbs on the floor! :rolleyes:

Even worse, sometimes I pause, knowing it's a trick and second guess myself and still open the wrong door.

Andy, I just guffawed when I read that. I'm glad it didn't wake up the kids! Thanks for sharing!

Every night, I forget my medications until it's time to go to bed. I know that if I take them an hour earlier, I would be asleep in a few minutes. As it is, I for get and lay in bed for an hour before I even get sleepy.

Every night, I get my pillows and lay down on the couch to watch a movie I've DVR'ed. AND every night, I always fall asleep. Sometimes it takes me 4 tries to get through a movie. :LOL: I know I'm going to fall asleep, but that doesn't matter, I go through the same routine anyway. :huh: I'll never learn.

I have a TV in my bedroom but do I watch it in there? Nooo....the angle is better in the living room, I guess. :)

Cheryl you'd fall asleep even if you watched your movie on a bedroom TV. Only difference is that you wouldn't have to get up and go to bed after you turn off the TV set. :)

My advice is that you should probably watch movies in the daytime/afternoon, like on weekends. I know I'd never last through an evening movie either...

Last edited:
The most foolish thing I do often is always different. One day, I put my tie on before going to work, in the dark. I finished getting dressed, forgot that I was already wearing a tie, and put on another one. I use the kind of ties that I have to tie, and so you'd think I'd have felt the first one. But nope, instead, I went to work with two ties on. That was years ago and it's still legendary in the workshop. Oh, and I have so many more.

And yes, Andy, it's true. It's a sign of hyper-intelligence. In the words of a famous C&W song, "That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it."

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cheryl you'd fall asleep even if you watched your movie on a bedroom TV. Only difference is that you wouldn't have to get up and go to bed after you turn off the TV set. :)

My advice is that you should probably watch movies in the daytime/afternoon, like on weekends. I know I'd never last through an evening movie either...

Hi Greg - I know...I do watch TV sometimes during the day, but I'm usually busy doing other stuff. Actually, half the time that's the main reason I watch TV at night, is to fall asleep... :sleep: :) Occasionally though, there's something I find worth watching and go to sleep anyway, lol....old habits die hard, I guess....

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
The most foolish thing I do often is always different. One day, I put my tie on before going to work, in the dark. I finished getting dressed, forgot that I was already wearing a tie, and put on another one. I use the kind of ties that I have to tie, and so you'd think I'd have felt the first one. But nope, instead, I went to work with two ties on. That was years ago and it's still legendary in the workshop. Oh, and I have so many more.

And yes, Andy, it's true. It's a sign of hyper-intelligence. In the words of a famous C&W song, "That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it."

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:ROFLMAO: Two ties!!

A teacher friend, now unfortunately deceased, showed up at school with one black and one navy shoe. She too dressed in the dark. Thankfully she taught 2nd grade, and nobody else noticed. I wouldn't have either, but she pointed it out to me.

And her hubby was the principal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom