"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

"Why Do I Keep....?"

Is there something that you just keep doing over and over and it drives you bonkers?

This morning I went to the pantry to get a tin of dog food. As I do EVERY time I go for a tin of dog food (which is on the left on the pantry shelves), I open the spare fridge on the right and stare mindlessly in it for at least a minute. The thing is I do it EVERY time! It's become hilarious actually. My DH has said I should maybe start storing the tins in the fridge to save a step. Then I will probably look on the shelf first!

What wacky thing do you do over and over? Come on, I am sure we each have at least one!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

So I guess either other people don't do such silly things.....or don't want to admit it?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I look for the ground coffee in the pantry, when I store it in the freezer. I don't always do that, but very often. And yes, I stand there staring at the pantry for a while before I figure it out. Then, when I have made my cup of espresso, I go to put the coffee away in the other refrigerator. Sometimes I look for the milk in the freezer. I'm sure there are more.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I have other things to but for some reason it is ALWAYS the dog food!

Oh, I had a bag of julienne carrots for salads and I used some one day and then I couldn't find them after that. I ended up buying another bag - good thing because when I took the first bag out of the freezer a week later they really weren't edible.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I brush bits of food off of the counter on the kitchen floor. I became so used to doing that over the years in the restaurant, from working on busy lines, that I do it at home. Nothing like getting a cold piece of chicken or toast crumbs between your toes.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Sous Chef

About a month ago I stopped changing Sproutlet number 2's diaper on her changing table. She fought so hard I was worried she would fall and get hurt and we were moving and we had to leave most of our stuff behind for the moving truck, so I figured I wouldn't waste that space in one of our vehicles. Now, almost every time I change Sproutlet number 2's diaper, I get the old diaper opened up and realize I am missing one of 2 things, the wipes or the new diaper. I need 3 things to change the baby's diaper, wipes, a new diaper, and the baby. How can I possibly forget one of three things regularly? Then of course when I have to get up and get whatever I'm missing, I lose the thing three since she hates to have her diaper changed. Also, I often forget Sproutlet number 2 when I put her in time out. I feel terrible about it, but I just keep doing it. I've decided that I'm going to start setting a timer.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Well Laurie, it's hard here cuz, I've been so long away from the kitchen. Now it's time to re-do the pantry the cabnet's, you name it, I need to do it. the Pain of it is, I start to do one thing, then I see another that needs my attention, then I move on to another on and most of the time I end up making cookies either for the kids or the nurses. I end up going to bed and wondering how the day got away from me. Wanna watch me drive my CAR?????
ma
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I brush bits of food off of the counter on the kitchen floor. I became so used to doing that over the years in the restaurant, from working on busy lines, that I do it at home. Nothing like getting a cold piece of chicken or toast crumbs between your toes.
You need a dog.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
You need a dog.
EVERYONE needs a dog. Goes without saying.

I have found the occasional roll of paper towels in the fridge. Our cleaning lady has found some creative places to hide the vaccuum cleaner attachments and squirt stuff. Of course, nowhere near the vac or anything needing squirted.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

When we first moved into this home over 13 years ago, I arranged the dishes in a certain way in a double cabinet - dinner plates on the left and sandwich plates on the left. We bought a new set of dishes about 6-7 years ago and for whatever reason SO reversed the location of the dinner and sandwich plates. At least half the time I still open the wrong door when I need a plate. Even worse, sometimes I pause, knowing it's a trick and second guess myself and still open the wrong door.

I can only assume this is a sign of extraordinary intelligence.