"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Why do people think they can outrun the police?

LOL, in this day and age, why do people try to drive and hide from the police?

I just saw the chase in Miami. A woman stole a U-Haul and was trying to get away from about 1000 police cars and helicopters.

I didn't think a U-Haul could outrun a fast bike.

In fact, with all the forensics these days, I don't know how anyone gets away with any crime. I guess I'm just not clever enough.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Goofy, huh, Jan. Very recently someone in our are stole an 18-wheeler complete with trailer and tried to run from the police. Well, duh! "Gee, officer, I didn't think you'd notice me."

Another candidate for Jay Leno's stupid criminals!

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Master Chef
Well, when I was younger.... I noticed a cop car turn around behind me, I knew what he was after me for... NO SEAT BELT!!! (I wear mine now!) Anywho... since I knew he was commin after me, I high tailed it on home and pulled into my parents side drive way and into the house. They could not give me a ticket since they could not prove it was me in the car!!! But they came to the door..... I know, I know, it was stupid... but I ran!!!

I honestly don't understand why folks continue to run knowing that the end could be ugly. I guess they got to get their 15 minutes of fame on the ol' telly!!!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
with those helicopters you are DOOMED from the get go, just give it up!
but where there is non, there are certain instances where the police will Stop the chase if they beleive it will endanger lives further, those perps can sometimes get away with it.
as for forensics, that`s great where they perp already has a record (and happily most do).
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Head Chef
I saw it on a Breaking News report on our local NBC station. Will wait until tonight to find out the details.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Remember the ol' saying? 'No motor beats Motor-ola.'
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Senior Cook
When you are high/drunk logic does not come into the picture.

I wonder what they say in front of the judge when the sober up?
They probably don't get a lot of sympathy.
"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
Head Chef
No matter what time I turn on the news there are always stories about people being chased by the police.

It is really depressing because sometimes someone is killed.

I never watch the news before I go to bed because it is too depressing.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
i tried a few times in my younger/wilder days; not a very bright thing to do.
got caught twice: once on foot, once in a car.

my friends and i were successful almost all of the time on foot because the average weight of the cops in my hometown was about 300lbs each. it was kind of a joke.
the time i got caught we broke into the high school to get water from the fountains. we used to play street hockey in the high school tennis courts across the street on sundays. unbeknownst to us, someone had broken in one weekend and stole cash from a teacher's desk, so the next weekend, they were wating for us. i almost made it, but got my wrist impaled on the top of a 10 foot chain link fence trying to get away. i was just hanging there by my wrist, so even the tub-o-lards were able to catch up. i didn't get in trouble because they caught the thieves later that night, and my alibi coincided with all of the other hockey players'. i just got a slap on the wrist, you might say.

the time i got caught in a car, i was heading over a friend's house early in the morning before going canoeing for the day. on the way to his house, canoe starpped to the top of the car, i got stuck behind someone who was going really slowly, swerving all over the lane like they were drunk. i waited for a straight stretch of road, and gunned it around them. unfortunately, it was in a no passing zone, and a cop was already stationed there for a speed trap.
i was already way ahead, and when i disappeared over a hill i made a quick couple of turns in a small residential neighborhood, taking a back way to my buddy's house. the cop anticipated the back roads and was able to cut me off. it must have been pretty easy to spot my truck with the canoe...duh.
after being roughed up a bit, i ended up with about $300 in fines and 6 points on my license.

that was back in the late 70's, early 80's, in some fairly well off neighborhoods in north jersey. i wouldn't even think about doing it today in any bneighborhood, even if i were still young and incredibly stupid.
(no comments from the peanut gallery )
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Drugs and Desperation are what make people run. They obvioulsy arn't thinking clearly.

americanwit is offline   Reply With Quote