"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Head Chef

Why do restaurants do this?

In the recent past I have had several restaurant experiences that IMO diminish from the overall dining.

For example, when dining in an upscale restaurant with somewhat pricey menu, linen tablecloths, napkins; why did my salad dressing come in a plastic cup?

On vacation this past month we had dinner in a seafood restaurant that was located on the water and served very fresh, wonderful fried seafood...but the sauces were served in packets. Why not go the extra and make your own? Is there something I am missing?

I just think these little details are noticed. Am I wrong?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

they're only wasting $$$. or very, very lazy. or unskilled...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It doesn't make sense, as you said, to go to so much trouble and expense, and then serve condiments in disposable plastic or packets. What they don't realize is that it is the little things that stand out. We have found the same in some of the hotels we have stayed at. Most of the places we have stayed on our trip have shampoo and conditioner. Some are in little packets, and some are in bottles. One only had soap and no shampoo. Even though we paid much less for that place, we noticed that omission. Some have had not only the "regular" toiletries, but have had extras like mouth wash, face moisturizers, etc. People notice the little things, and it can be (in fact probably usually is) the little things that make consumers want to come back or go somewhere else.

Barbara
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
elaine - you have touched on my biggest pet peeve. To go to a wonderful restaurant and not get homemade salad dressings, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and what you speak of...........oh come on...why ISN'T that stuff homemade???? Whew - seriously, that stuff gets me going!

They are wasting SERIOUS money like luvs said and VERY lazy!!!! ...and let's not forget unskilled............and lazy..................

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Let's just open up our own upscale restaurant and show them how it's done...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL You reminded me, KE, that I hadn't touched on the sauces, etc. not being made there. The dressings and sauces are part of the meal and should be made there. And if they aren't going to make them, they should at least use serving dishes, rather than packets. Next, they'll start handing you a jar of gravy to pour on your potatoes!

Barbara
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey elf, pass that bottle of ketchup that doesn't pour, ya know the one you half beat to death that won't cough up a drop, that is til ya hold it up to the light and guess what? all over your face and shirt
kades
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Hey elf, pass that bottle of ketchup that doesn't pour, ya know the one you half beat to death that won't cough up a drop, that is til ya hold it up to the light and guess what? all over your face and shirt
kades
I know the VERY one kades - it has happened. You put it down 'cause you gave up and then it burps all over the place!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I know the VERY one kades - it has happened. You put it down 'cause you gave up and then it burps all over the place!
That reminds me of something that happened at work a few years ago (another reason for restaurants not to use packets). The school lunch that day came with BBQ sauce. I always shake the packets down so that it doesn't get all over me when I open it. That particular time, though, I shook my BBQ packet down, then I looked at the sweet, quiet girl across from me, with my BBQ sauce all over her white blouse! The stupid packet had a hole it in!

Barbara
Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Next, they'll start handing you a jar of gravy to pour on your potatoes!
I'd just get up and leave and head to a fast food restaurant. Geez!