Why do you live where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I didn't own my small business I've been running for nearly 30 years I would have been outa here years ago. L.A. is good for business but I've always hated living here. I can't wait to get really old and retire so I can move to somewhere down south of the border on the Baja Pennisula.

If I didn't own my small business I've been running for nearly 30 years I would have been outa here years ago. L.A. is good for business but I've always hated living here. I can't wait to get really old and retire so I can move to somewhere down south of the border on the Baja Pennisula.

Man, you don't have to wait until "you're really old" to retire! I did so at 56 by just eliminating bills and saving money. I made double payments on anyhing I could until everything but the house was paid off.

I worked as much overtime as I could and made each pay check as large as possible and then saved as much of each pay check as I could. when I got to the point where everything was paid off except the house, and I had an entire years income saved, I was done! I still do side work for about $1000 income per/month, but that's not as hard as it sounds. Almost anyone can make $250 a week doing something! I make as many meals as possible at home from fresh veggies and stretch each dollar as far as possible.

Man, driving around LA on my way to San Diego was a trip I've always looked forward to. From up in the mountians, LA looks like it has a dome of smog over it. I always thought "Man, no way am I going down ino THAT!"

Retire while you're young enough to enjoy it!

I haven't looked at my KA catalog, yet...is looking at it a bad idea?:ermm:
My neice worked at KA and ran their test kitchen for quite some time. She knows the real story of the place and if you or anyone has any questions they would like to ask her, just post them and I'll email her with them. It's change to "employee owned" was not a smooth change over and the company suffered many bad problems as a result.

Timothy, I like your attitude. We retired quite early through certain decisions and deciding what we could do without. No regrets. But we never made what anyone would consider a big amount of money. I guess deciding not to have kids was a big part of it for us. Like some have mentioned, when we retired, we did so to Florida, then decided to move north.

Life's too short. If you don't like where you live--sell the business and start packing! Or, relocate your business to where you want to live...

Timothy, I like your attitude.

Well there's something I haven't heard recently! Thank you. I"m loving retirement! Of course the money-panic-thing still happens periodically, but that's a life-long habit and not really a worry any more.

the hardest thing I've had to adjust to is the freedom to do any damn thing I feel like doing every day, all day. Quite often, I just go down to the tourist part of town and walk around in the sun and drink sodas. Then home for supper and a movie. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it!:LOL::ohmy:

People from Massachusetts are notoriously a very parochial bunch of people. The story goes, If a nuclear bomb fell on NYC, the headlines in the Boston papers would read: "Boston Man Killed In Big Apple".

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Where else would I live?

Five times I have left this state and kept returning. Moved to South Texas, Hawaii, Tacoma twice and back here each time. Reason? Who needs a reason. This is New England! Did you need to ask? :rolleyes:

The USAF landed me here in 1979. I met my husband and married him in 1980. I am from Michigan and he is from New Jersey. We fell in love while dating on a 79 Suzuki 750 (we still have that bike), and we never looked back. We love the mountains in Colorado, and we decided to stay. Now if we left, we would leave behind our kids and grandkids who have made Colorado their home. Good thing we like it here.

We live 8 mls from Chester just inside Wales.

I have always wanted to show up in Wales in the spring for the choir practice and contests. My favorite folk song is "All Through The Night" Learned it in the third grade and have been singing it for the rest of my life. You will often hear me humming it while doing housework. :chef:

People from Massachusetts are notoriously a very parochial bunch of people. The story goes, If a nuclear bomb fell on NYC, the headlines in the Boston papers would read: "Boston Man Killed In Big Apple".

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Where else would I live?

I read an anecdote recently where a Boston matron was asked why she doesn't travel. She reportedly said, "Why should I travel? I'm already here."

I'm in south Florida because this is where my late husband wanted to retire to. My oldest child is here, so at my age it just makes sense to stay here, though my heart belongs to St. Louis, Mo.

I have lived all over the eastern part of the country. When I stopped working I decided to come back to where I started. Initially that was a good choice. Now my close friends and family members have died and I really don't have any reason to stay in this area other than the fact that it is familiar to me. Any ideas on where in the U.S.A. would be good for an old person without a beach body to live?

It's actually not too shabby down here, AB. I haven't been to the beach, which is all of 30 minutes away, for about two years. And that was to look at the water, stick my toes in, and come back home. The sun is shining, it's going to be a high of 78F this afternoon..... migratory birds are in town.....could be worse.

I've lived up and down and backwards in the United States, but mostly east of the Mississippi River. My longest stint was 30 years in Washington, DC before I moved back to western Kentucky in 1994 when Buck retired.

I was born in Nebraska and only stayed there about 4 years before moving to northern Minnesota...near the maligned Ely area. I still have family there.

Left Minnesota to go to Kentucky because that's where work plopped my father. Then, since I was wise beyond my years upon high school graduation, I went back to the same area in Minnesota for a few years. After that it was my D.C. time.

When Buck retired, we moved to within 8 miles of where I spent my elementary and high school years.

After Buck died in 2008 and I remarried I moved only about 50 miles away, still in Kentucky.

It's lovely here and I feel "at home and at peace" here. Although, I have to say that I've always enjoyed wherever I've lived. I'll be here until I die and that's just fine. This is my home.

I've lived up and down and backwards in the United States, but mostly east of the Mississippi River. My longest stint was 30 years in Washington, DC before I moved back to western Kentucky in 1994 when Buck retired.

I was born in Nebraska and only stayed there about 4 years before moving to northern Minnesota...near the maligned Ely area. I still have family there.

Left Minnesota to go to Kentucky because that's where work plopped my father. Then, since I was wise beyond my years upon high school graduation, I went back to the same area in Minnesota for a few years. After that it was my D.C. time.

When Buck retired, we moved to within 8 miles of where I spent my elementary and high school years.

After Buck died in 2008 and I remarried I moved only about 50 miles away, still in Kentucky.

It's lovely here and I feel "at home and at peace" here. Although, I have to say that I've always enjoyed wherever I've lived. I'll be here until I die and that's just fine. This is my home.

Hey Katie, I've traveled around the USA quite a bit and with no hesitation, I can say that Kentucky is the most beautiful state I've seen. Streams, hills, valleys, all beautiful. Florida is beautiful also, but you can't walk in the woods here. You might get eaten.Some of those old gators have never seen a human and if they did, it would just look like supper to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom