"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #61
Master Chef

If I didn't own my small business I've been running for nearly 30 years I would have been outa here years ago. L.A. is good for business but I've always hated living here. I can't wait to get really old and retire so I can move to somewhere down south of the border on the Baja Pennisula.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
If I didn't own my small business I've been running for nearly 30 years I would have been outa here years ago. L.A. is good for business but I've always hated living here. I can't wait to get really old and retire so I can move to somewhere down south of the border on the Baja Pennisula.
Man, you don't have to wait until "you're really old" to retire! I did so at 56 by just eliminating bills and saving money. I made double payments on anyhing I could until everything but the house was paid off.

I worked as much overtime as I could and made each pay check as large as possible and then saved as much of each pay check as I could. when I got to the point where everything was paid off except the house, and I had an entire years income saved, I was done! I still do side work for about $1000 income per/month, but that's not as hard as it sounds. Almost anyone can make $250 a week doing something! I make as many meals as possible at home from fresh veggies and stretch each dollar as far as possible.

Man, driving around LA on my way to San Diego was a trip I've always looked forward to. From up in the mountians, LA looks like it has a dome of smog over it. I always thought "Man, no way am I going down ino THAT!"

Retire while you're young enough to enjoy it!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I just got my King Arthur catalog in the mail. Seeing you live so close, do you think you could come over to my house and hide all my credit cards?
I haven't looked at my KA catalog, yet...is looking at it a bad idea?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My neice worked at KA and ran their test kitchen for quite some time. She knows the real story of the place and if you or anyone has any questions they would like to ask her, just post them and I'll email her with them. It's change to "employee owned" was not a smooth change over and the company suffered many bad problems as a result.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #65
Master Chef

Timothy, I like your attitude. We retired quite early through certain decisions and deciding what we could do without. No regrets. But we never made what anyone would consider a big amount of money. I guess deciding not to have kids was a big part of it for us. Like some have mentioned, when we retired, we did so to Florida, then decided to move north.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It depends on what you want, what you actually need, and your will power.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Life's too short. If you don't like where you live--sell the business and start packing! Or, relocate your business to where you want to live...
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Timothy, I like your attitude.
Well there's something I haven't heard recently! Thank you. I"m loving retirement! Of course the money-panic-thing still happens periodically, but that's a life-long habit and not really a worry any more.

the hardest thing I've had to adjust to is the freedom to do any damn thing I feel like doing every day, all day. Quite often, I just go down to the tourist part of town and walk around in the sun and drink sodas. Then home for supper and a movie. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #69
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
It depends on what you want, what you actually need, and your will power.
All of it, none of it and Shrek's credit card...I'll be opening it this weekend. Take my time and choose wisely...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
People from Massachusetts are notoriously a very parochial bunch of people. The story goes, If a nuclear bomb fell on NYC, the headlines in the Boston papers would read: "Boston Man Killed In Big Apple".

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Where else would I live?
Five times I have left this state and kept returning. Moved to South Texas, Hawaii, Tacoma twice and back here each time. Reason? Who needs a reason. This is New England! Did you need to ask?