"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #71
Executive Chef

The USAF landed me here in 1979. I met my husband and married him in 1980. I am from Michigan and he is from New Jersey. We fell in love while dating on a 79 Suzuki 750 (we still have that bike), and we never looked back. We love the mountains in Colorado, and we decided to stay. Now if we left, we would leave behind our kids and grandkids who have made Colorado their home. Good thing we like it here.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
We live 8 mls from Chester just inside Wales.
I have always wanted to show up in Wales in the spring for the choir practice and contests. My favorite folk song is "All Through The Night" Learned it in the third grade and have been singing it for the rest of my life. You will often hear me humming it while doing housework.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #73
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
People from Massachusetts are notoriously a very parochial bunch of people. The story goes, If a nuclear bomb fell on NYC, the headlines in the Boston papers would read: "Boston Man Killed In Big Apple".

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Where else would I live?
I read an anecdote recently where a Boston matron was asked why she doesn't travel. She reportedly said, "Why should I travel? I'm already here."

I'm in south Florida because this is where my late husband wanted to retire to. My oldest child is here, so at my age it just makes sense to stay here, though my heart belongs to St. Louis, Mo.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Christmas day it was 74F here. Nuff said?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #75
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have lived all over the eastern part of the country. When I stopped working I decided to come back to where I started. Initially that was a good choice. Now my close friends and family members have died and I really don't have any reason to stay in this area other than the fact that it is familiar to me. Any ideas on where in the U.S.A. would be good for an old person without a beach body to live?
It's actually not too shabby down here, AB. I haven't been to the beach, which is all of 30 minutes away, for about two years. And that was to look at the water, stick my toes in, and come back home. The sun is shining, it's going to be a high of 78F this afternoon..... migratory birds are in town.....could be worse.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've lived up and down and backwards in the United States, but mostly east of the Mississippi River. My longest stint was 30 years in Washington, DC before I moved back to western Kentucky in 1994 when Buck retired.

I was born in Nebraska and only stayed there about 4 years before moving to northern Minnesota...near the maligned Ely area. I still have family there.

Left Minnesota to go to Kentucky because that's where work plopped my father. Then, since I was wise beyond my years upon high school graduation, I went back to the same area in Minnesota for a few years. After that it was my D.C. time.

When Buck retired, we moved to within 8 miles of where I spent my elementary and high school years.

After Buck died in 2008 and I remarried I moved only about 50 miles away, still in Kentucky.

It's lovely here and I feel "at home and at peace" here. Although, I have to say that I've always enjoyed wherever I've lived. I'll be here until I die and that's just fine. This is my home.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Two words, "Salt Life".

Craig
Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've lived up and down and backwards in the United States, but mostly east of the Mississippi River. My longest stint was 30 years in Washington, DC before I moved back to western Kentucky in 1994 when Buck retired.

I was born in Nebraska and only stayed there about 4 years before moving to northern Minnesota...near the maligned Ely area. I still have family there.

Left Minnesota to go to Kentucky because that's where work plopped my father. Then, since I was wise beyond my years upon high school graduation, I went back to the same area in Minnesota for a few years. After that it was my D.C. time.

When Buck retired, we moved to within 8 miles of where I spent my elementary and high school years.

After Buck died in 2008 and I remarried I moved only about 50 miles away, still in Kentucky.

It's lovely here and I feel "at home and at peace" here. Although, I have to say that I've always enjoyed wherever I've lived. I'll be here until I die and that's just fine. This is my home.
Hey Katie, I've traveled around the USA quite a bit and with no hesitation, I can say that Kentucky is the most beautiful state I've seen. Streams, hills, valleys, all beautiful. Florida is beautiful also, but you can't walk in the woods here. You might get eaten.Some of those old gators have never seen a human and if they did, it would just look like supper to them.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

days like today are why i live here. it is 78 degrees and sunny in december
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
days like today are why i live here. it is 78 degrees and sunny in december
We had an eight in our temperature today