"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #81
Master Chef

I have always loved ... I don't know how to put it. The western parts of the eastern states. Appalachia, and around there. But when we found communities we liked, we found people who "didn't take to outsiders", something I haven't found in the Midwest, where we were welcomed with open arms.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

I was watching this very biased program the other night, well, at least for a while until I couldn't take anymore, about southern living or something like that. It surprised me how far north the "southern" states came, including Virginia. When it came to states like KY, VA, TN, the folks they were interviewing were reluctant to accept them as southern. The one guy said about VA, "They ain't southern. They may be hillbillies, but they're yankee hillbillies". I thought that was funny. They weren't very fond of FLA either.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
it is 78 degrees and sunny in december
This ain't right. That's a bit too warm. 70 would be just about right for me this time of the year...:))
Football fans visiting here from Wisconsin must be panting in this weather...lol...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix
This ain't right. That's a bit too warm. 70 would be just about right for me this time of the year...:))
I like temps in the 70's, but not with the snow! Guess I live in the right place for me. :)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I was watching this very biased program the other night, well, at least for a while until I couldn't take anymore, about southern living or something like that. It surprised me how far north the "southern" states came, including Virginia. When it came to states like KY, VA, TN, the folks they were interviewing were reluctant to accept them as southern. The one guy said about VA, "They ain't southern. They may be hillbillies, but they're yankee hillbillies". I thought that was funny. They weren't very fond of FLA either.
You were watvhing "You Don't Know Dixie." I think what I found most disturbing is how tightly they hold on to their traditions when they no longer serve a purpose. Their reverance for the gun is passed on down to the kids as young as five. Five y.o. have no need to be going out and shooting their supper. Write down your traditions. Talk about them around the supper table. For those states that they think are not southern enough, listening to them talk, they sure sound southern.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #86
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You were watvhing "You Don't Know Dixie." I think what I found most disturbing is how tightly they hold on to their traditions when they no longer serve a purpose. Their reverance for the gun is passed on down to the kids as young as five. Five y.o. have no need to be going out and shooting their supper. Write down your traditions. Talk about them around the supper table. For those states that they think are not southern enough, listening to them talk, they sure sound southern.

Local, back-country folks here in Florida think of themselves as true Southerners. "Bubba" is one of the most popular baby names here. Hunting and Fishing are HUGELY popular pastimes here.

When I was up North in Maryland, visiting my Sister and Brother, I was received with much laughter when I told them "You guys talk funny".

They said I have what they called a "Real Southern Accent" and that folks up there had a hard time understanding what I said. I told them that "You folks up here talk like machine guns. I only catch about every fourth word you say because you talk so danged fast."

A very popular phrase around here is "You can take my gun away, but you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."

I have a friend who witnessed a street robbery of a tourist, pulled her gun from her purse and put the robber on the ground, spread eagled, under threat of death. She said when the cops came, the guy had peed himself.

btw, she's licenced to carry concealed and is a very good shot.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

That was it, Addie, thanks.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #88
Master Chef

Timothy, you and I have so much in common. I do think northern Florida has more southerners than south Florida. St Augustine is probably my favorite Florida town. That said, I don't believe that any of us should feel apologetic about deciding some particular place is where we feel at home. We aren't, after all, the old soviet union. We're all USAmericans. We should all grow where we are planted. Talking funny! I love it! I'll start another line on that one!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #89
Master Chef

Living in this part of the world all my life, I've never know what it is to be REALLY cold!! Last Feb. we visited Yellowstone for an unbelievable and rewarding winter experience. I was up close and personal with bitter cold for the first time in my life. The temp. dipped to 24 degrees below zero the night before we left, and we gained nearly 100 degrees when we got home the next day.
East West, home's best.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Timothy, you and I have so much in common. I do think northern Florida has more southerners than south Florida. St Augustine is probably my favorite Florida town. That said, I don't believe that any of us should feel apologetic about deciding some particular place is where we feel at home. We aren't, after all, the old soviet union. We're all USAmericans. We should all grow where we are planted. Talking funny! I love it! I'll start another line on that one!
St. Augustine is a tourist town, but the tourists are only a tiny fraction of the people here. St. Augustine has a wide business base also, it supports the multitude of locals in the area.

One of my favorite things to do is to go walk St. George Street and enjoy the tourist side of town. I know some of the people who work down there.

I'll take it you've visited our little town before then, Claire?