Why do you live where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always loved ... I don't know how to put it. The western parts of the eastern states. Appalachia, and around there. But when we found communities we liked, we found people who "didn't take to outsiders", something I haven't found in the Midwest, where we were welcomed with open arms.

I was watching this very biased program the other night, well, at least for a while until I couldn't take anymore, about southern living or something like that. It surprised me how far north the "southern" states came, including Virginia. When it came to states like KY, VA, TN, the folks they were interviewing were reluctant to accept them as southern. The one guy said about VA, "They ain't southern. They may be hillbillies, but they're yankee hillbillies". I thought that was funny. They weren't very fond of FLA either.

roadfix said:
This ain't right. That's a bit too warm. 70 would be just about right for me this time of the year...:))

I like temps in the 70's, but not with the snow! Guess I live in the right place for me. :)

I was watching this very biased program the other night, well, at least for a while until I couldn't take anymore, about southern living or something like that. It surprised me how far north the "southern" states came, including Virginia. When it came to states like KY, VA, TN, the folks they were interviewing were reluctant to accept them as southern. The one guy said about VA, "They ain't southern. They may be hillbillies, but they're yankee hillbillies". I thought that was funny. They weren't very fond of FLA either.

You were watvhing "You Don't Know Dixie." I think what I found most disturbing is how tightly they hold on to their traditions when they no longer serve a purpose. Their reverance for the gun is passed on down to the kids as young as five. Five y.o. have no need to be going out and shooting their supper. Write down your traditions. Talk about them around the supper table. For those states that they think are not southern enough, listening to them talk, they sure sound southern. :ohmy:

You were watvhing "You Don't Know Dixie." I think what I found most disturbing is how tightly they hold on to their traditions when they no longer serve a purpose. Their reverance for the gun is passed on down to the kids as young as five. Five y.o. have no need to be going out and shooting their supper. Write down your traditions. Talk about them around the supper table. For those states that they think are not southern enough, listening to them talk, they sure sound southern. :ohmy:

Local, back-country folks here in Florida think of themselves as true Southerners. "Bubba" is one of the most popular baby names here. Hunting and Fishing are HUGELY popular pastimes here.

When I was up North in Maryland, visiting my Sister and Brother, I was received with much laughter when I told them "You guys talk funny".

They said I have what they called a "Real Southern Accent" and that folks up there had a hard time understanding what I said. I told them that "You folks up here talk like machine guns. I only catch about every fourth word you say because you talk so danged fast."

A very popular phrase around here is "You can take my gun away, but you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands."

I have a friend who witnessed a street robbery of a tourist, pulled her gun from her purse and put the robber on the ground, spread eagled, under threat of death. She said when the cops came, the guy had peed himself.

btw, she's licenced to carry concealed and is a very good shot.

Timothy, you and I have so much in common. I do think northern Florida has more southerners than south Florida. St Augustine is probably my favorite Florida town. That said, I don't believe that any of us should feel apologetic about deciding some particular place is where we feel at home. We aren't, after all, the old soviet union. We're all USAmericans. We should all grow where we are planted. Talking funny! I love it! I'll start another line on that one!

Living in this part of the world all my life, I've never know what it is to be REALLY cold!! Last Feb. we visited Yellowstone for an unbelievable and rewarding winter experience. I was up close and personal with bitter cold for the first time in my life. The temp. dipped to 24 degrees below zero the night before we left, and we gained nearly 100 degrees when we got home the next day.
East West, home's best.;)

Timothy, you and I have so much in common. I do think northern Florida has more southerners than south Florida. St Augustine is probably my favorite Florida town. That said, I don't believe that any of us should feel apologetic about deciding some particular place is where we feel at home. We aren't, after all, the old soviet union. We're all USAmericans. We should all grow where we are planted. Talking funny! I love it! I'll start another line on that one!

St. Augustine is a tourist town, but the tourists are only a tiny fraction of the people here. St. Augustine has a wide business base also, it supports the multitude of locals in the area.

One of my favorite things to do is to go walk St. George Street and enjoy the tourist side of town. I know some of the people who work down there.

I'll take it you've visited our little town before then, Claire?

I'm also "blooming where I was planted". I live 3.6 miles from the hospital I was born in, in Duluth, MN. I moved to California for a couple years, but I came back to be close to my family, even though it meant braving the winters. I met my wonderful boyfriend shortly after I got back, and have been with him ever since. Now, his company wants to make him district manager, so he might be uprooting me and moving us to Minneapolis. On the plus side, since it's a couple hours south, it stays a few degrees warmer in the winter. The downside is that I can't handle heat very well, and it gets hotter down there in the summer.

St. Augustine is a tourist town, but the tourists are only a tiny fraction of the people here. St. Augustine has a wide business base also, it supports the multitude of locals in the area.

One of my favorite things to do is to go walk St. George Street and enjoy the tourist side of town. I know some of the people who work down there.

I'll take it you've visited our little town before then, Claire?

When I worked in Downtown Boston, I used to go sit on a bench during my lunch hour and just watch the tourists. You could always spot them. They were the ones who had their maps upsidedown. :LOL:

I ended up in the Grand Rapids area after a fairly fruitless job search. Had friends here who allowed me to stay with them while I looked for a job. At the time any job any where would have done. Now I am so thankful that this is where I landed. The area is clean and the people friendly and of course this is Michigan's Bible belt. The older I get the more I appreciate living where folks care about everything around them, clean fresh yards, friendly neighbors, quiet neighborhoods. If I really wanted to party, well, like most other places I could find lots to do. But these days I prefer the quiet life.

There is something to be said for relly good friends, and the quiet life. It doesn't have to be boring. :chef:

Hey Katie, I've traveled around the USA quite a bit and with no hesitation, I can say that Kentucky is the most beautiful state I've seen. Streams, hills, valleys, all beautiful. Florida is beautiful also, but you can't walk in the woods here. You might get eaten.Some of those old gators have never seen a human and if they did, it would just look like supper to them.

Yes, Timothy, Kentucky IS a beautiful place. I recall when I was about 13, my father loaded us up in the car and we spent a couple of weeks touring the state. We lived in the far western part (near where I am now) and made a loop from the southernmost part of the state toward the far easternmost part, then up and over to the top of the state and traveling back home. We essentially visited any and everything to see on our route around the perimeter (and sometimes into) the state. I'll never forget it.

After that trip, my siblings and I always refer to the bronze historical markers as "hysterical" markers because Daddy would all but screech the car to a halt to "educate" us as to what the marker was telling us about its area.

My husband and I live in a beautiful area that is quite near a twin lake resort that offers all manner of water fun. And, yes, we have hills, valleys, streams, woods...you name it. Kentucky is rolling, lush and green. Er...blue. It IS the bluegrass state after all. Come visit sometime. You won't be disappointed.

When I worked in Downtown Boston, I used to go sit on a bench during my lunch hour and just watch the tourists. You could always spot them. They were the ones who had their maps upsidedown. :LOL:

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Boston during my working years. I used to sit and people watch around the Government Center area and Faneuil Hall. The thing that always struck me was the expensive neck ties that all of the men wore. Those guys must spend a couple thousand a year just on ties!:ohmy::LOL:

Yes, Timothy, Kentucky IS a beautiful place. I recall when I was about 13, my father loaded us up in the car and we spent a couple of weeks touring the state. We lived in the far western part (near where I am now) and made a loop from the southernmost part of the state toward the far easternmost part, then up and over to the top of the state and traveling back home. We essentially visited any and everything to see on our route around the perimeter (and sometimes into) the state. I'll never forget it.

After that trip, my siblings and I always refer to the bronze historical markers as "hysterical" markers because Daddy would all but screech the car to a halt to "educate" us as to what the marker was telling us about its area.

My husband and I live in a beautiful area that is quite near a twin lake resort that offers all manner of water fun. And, yes, we have hills, valleys, streams, woods...you name it. Kentucky is rolling, lush and green. Er...blue. It IS the bluegrass state after all. Come visit sometime. You won't be disappointed.

Hi Katie, I'm shopping for a pop-up camper so I can start touring the USA. When I find one, Kentucky is one place for sure that I want to see again. The last time I went through Kentucky was in the spring. The streams were all flowing briskly and lots of animals to see along the highway, in the adjacent fields. What a beautiful state you live in!

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Boston during my working years. I used to sit and people watch around the Government Center area and Faneuil Hall. The thing that always struck me was the expensive neck ties that all of the men wore. Those guys must spend a couple thousand a year just on ties!:ohmy::LOL:

Very conservative city. Men still wear jackets in the summer, and casual Friday is not allowed in a lot of firms. Specially law firms. :ohmy:

Very conservative city. Men still wear jackets in the summer, and casual Friday is not allowed in a lot of firms. Specially law firms. :ohmy:

That's another thing I like about California: Business Casual means you wear shoes. Business Professional means you wear shoes, and socks!

That's another thing I like about California: Business Casual means you wear shoes. Business Professional means you wear shoes, and socks!

For us, Casual Friday means jeans and sneakers. But no holes in the jeans, and sneakers have to be reasonably clean and not tattered. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom