Why does my mouth hurt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
I was eating some chips... when I put one in my mouth and it touched the back of my tongue, I got a jolt of pain from my tongue to the back of a jaw... almost under my earlobe.

Any clue what it may be?

You probably just pulled a jaw muscle/tendon/joint in an awkward way. We think we chew the same but there could have been a bit of a variance in this bite. Just watch for it again and if it keeps happening see your dentist - it could be TMJ (temperomandibular joint) Syndrome.

kitchenelf said:
You probably just pulled a jaw muscle/tendon/joint in an awkward way. We think we chew the same but there could have been a bit of a variance in this bite. Just watch for it again and if it keeps happening see your dentist - it could be TMJ (temperomandibular joint) Syndrome.

I didnt bite though...
i just put the chip to the back of my mouth

Didn't you start to bite down on it? You probably at least got as far as closing your mouth. If you open your mouth and then start to close it you are still moving your jaw. Even if you are just opening your mouth you are moving your jaw.

kitchenelf said:
Didn't you start to bite down on it? You probably at least got as far as closing your mouth. If you open your mouth and then start to close it you are still moving your jaw. Even if you are just opening your mouth you are moving your jaw.

Yeah, I guess I was shutting my mouth a little.... it was a big chip.

Sounds to me as if you may have just poked a nerve ending with a sharp corner of the chip. A similar thing happens when you get a Novocain shot and the needle hits a nerve, only then it can be light lightning in your head.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

It happened a few times... I put them away...
I having chicken and fries right now... my mouth is fine..

Hmmm! Could be a cavity. A hard piece of food pushing against a cavity will cause the sort of pain/sensation you described. It could also be a chipped tooth -- if a chunk has broken off a molar, you might not realize it (often doesn't hurt) but food pressing into the area may cause pain. If you can't see any problems, try poking each tooth lightly with something like a toothpick -- you'll know if you hit one that's causing problems.

It could have been a "terrorist chip"! :mellow: They have been sighted in your area! If you come across such a chip.... DIP IT! Only THEN are they made harmless. :shifty: Just kidding. I stick with Elf. *getting spatula to seperate us*

I dont think so...
I have this little white spot on my tongue, it looks like one of my taste buds is swelled up and white... almost like a pimple... and it hurts...
thats about it...
ive gotten these before.. i dont know what they are...

It sounds like a canker sore. Here is what a canker sore is.

What are canker sores?

Canker sores are shallow, painful sores in your mouth. They are usually red or may sometimes have a white coating over them. You might get them on the inside of your lips, the insides of your cheeks, the base of your gums or under your tongue. Canker sores are different from fever blisters, which usually are on the outside of your lips or the corners of your mouth.

Anyone can get canker sores, but women people in their teens and 20s get them more often. Canker sores may run in families, but they aren't contagious. Doctors don't know what causes canker sores, but they may be triggered by stress, poor nutrition, food allergies and menstrual periods.

gobo - I've gotten swollen tastebuds before - they're a real pain! no pun intended! You just have to wait a couple of days for them to go away. The taste buds on the tip of the tongue taste sweet - if they are over-stimulated it can cause them to swell. It's probably from candy.

Ya I know they are
And you're right... I had a half a big bag of sour patch kids last night.

Back
Top Bottom