"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Why does the day before "things" often feel like the possible last meal?

I'm going for a little procedure Thursday (gallbladder bit the dust - hope I don't). Now, I am a Nurse, & I know how miniscule this is, but since I first found out it's actually going to be removed I've been acting like each meal is my last. A little enencouragement maybe? I have had worse medical experiences. I realize my emotional mind is doing it's own little private thing while my actual brain is taking a sabbatical on the subject leaving me an anxious mess. Also it would help to know that when I get upset or anxious I cook, & bake & cook & bake & cook & bake - and, well you get the picture. I haven't been on here in a while because I've either been very sick or working or cooking. TODAY ALONE I made 3 dozen banana split bread muffins, 2 dozen blueberry muffins, 2 dozen ginger bread muffins, 2 gallons of chicken ala king, 2 gallons of potato soup, pear sauce, tater tot casserole plus 2 pizzas. We only ate the pizzas. The rest? Possible meals for the family post surgery. Tomorrow it will be lemon poppy seed muffins, apple cinnamon muffins, cranberry orange muffins &roughly 5 pounds of chili. I see that really I made a couple of entrees and whole lotta muffins today. And tomorrow I shall continue. If I don't check in for a while, you all will know why. Just in case: thanks for the advice, & entertainment. Hopefully we will chat again soon.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We humans are a weird bunch. For example, I am the world champion at thinking of the worst possible outcomes for any event associated with my health. I'm having shoulder surgery next month and I will be sleepless over it the night before.

It's a normal reaction to be worried about your situation. It would be unnatural if you didn't worry. So try to think logically and rely on your professional training to help you remember the positives.

You'll be fine and send be some of those banana split bread muffins. They sound delicious.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nurses are the worst patients. We know too much for our own good. Nothing makes me more anxious than something going on with me.

Deep breaths, sit and mellow for a bit, Sleepytime herbal is good for a mellow. Thinking of you! {{{{{{Fluffy Angel }}}}}}
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I know the feeling, I go in on Friday for some work. Fun fun fun! I just figure I will eat well now, because for the next week or so, I am not gonna be eating anything memorable.

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh Sweetness! {{{{{{{Fluffy Angel}}}}}}}

Everything will be fine. You've been a baking and cooking fool! Nobody will starve.

Please let us know how we can help! We'll see you soon!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I know the feeling, I go in on Friday for some work. Fun fun fun! I just figure I will eat well now, because for the next week or so, I am not gonna be eating anything memorable.

Good luck with everything!
Eeks, Tatt! Hope all goes well with you!

{{{{{{{{Tatt}}}}}}}}}
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Gall bladder surgery was one of the easiest surgeries I have ever had done. I had the laporoscopic (sp?) surgery. As soon as it was over and I woke up, I felt great. A little sore, and that's it. And that was with me having what the doctor called "the gall bladder from hell."
Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

was there 11 other guys eating with you, and a kinda butch looking chick named mary there?

let me tell you, don't trust that iscariot guy...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Nurses and doctors are not the best patients ... None the less, my very best is being sent your way, for a speedy recovery ...

Just think of all your fave fave dishes, and close your eyes, and the minor surgery shall be over ... And then:

you shall be at your table eating your fave meal !

All my best, Ciao,
Margi.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My Steve has recently found out that he needs to have his gall bladder removed too