Why does the day before "things" often feel like the possible last meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
I'm going for a little procedure Thursday (gallbladder bit the dust - hope I don't). Now, I am a Nurse, & I know how miniscule this is, but since I first found out it's actually going to be removed I've been acting like each meal is my last. A little enencouragement maybe? I have had worse medical experiences. I realize my emotional mind is doing it's own little private thing while my actual brain is taking a sabbatical on the subject leaving me an anxious mess. Also it would help to know that when I get upset or anxious I cook, & bake & cook & bake & cook & bake - and, well you get the picture. I haven't been on here in a while because I've either been very sick or working or cooking. TODAY ALONE I made 3 dozen banana split bread muffins, 2 dozen blueberry muffins, 2 dozen ginger bread muffins, 2 gallons of chicken ala king, 2 gallons of potato soup, pear sauce, tater tot casserole plus 2 pizzas. We only ate the pizzas. The rest? Possible meals for the family post surgery. Tomorrow it will be lemon poppy seed muffins, apple cinnamon muffins, cranberry orange muffins &roughly 5 pounds of chili. I see that really I made a couple of entrees and whole lotta muffins today. And tomorrow I shall continue. If I don't check in for a while, you all will know why. Just in case: thanks for the advice, & entertainment. Hopefully we will chat again soon.

We humans are a weird bunch. For example, I am the world champion at thinking of the worst possible outcomes for any event associated with my health. I'm having shoulder surgery next month and I will be sleepless over it the night before.

It's a normal reaction to be worried about your situation. It would be unnatural if you didn't worry. So try to think logically and rely on your professional training to help you remember the positives.

You'll be fine and send be some of those banana split bread muffins. They sound delicious.

Nurses are the worst patients. We know too much for our own good. Nothing makes me more anxious than something going on with me.

Deep breaths, sit and mellow for a bit, Sleepytime herbal is good for a mellow. Thinking of you! {{{{{{Fluffy Angel }}}}}}

I know the feeling, I go in on Friday for some work. Fun fun fun! I just figure I will eat well now, because for the next week or so, I am not gonna be eating anything memorable.

Good luck with everything!

Oh Sweetness! {{{{{{{Fluffy Angel}}}}}}}

Everything will be fine. You've been a baking and cooking fool! Nobody will starve.

Please let us know how we can help! We'll see you soon!

Last edited:
TATTRAT said:
I know the feeling, I go in on Friday for some work. Fun fun fun! I just figure I will eat well now, because for the next week or so, I am not gonna be eating anything memorable.

Good luck with everything!

Eeks, Tatt! Hope all goes well with you!

{{{{{{{{Tatt}}}}}}}}}

Gall bladder surgery was one of the easiest surgeries I have ever had done. I had the laporoscopic (sp?) surgery. As soon as it was over and I woke up, I felt great. A little sore, and that's it. And that was with me having what the doctor called "the gall bladder from hell."

was there 11 other guys eating with you, and a kinda butch looking chick named mary there?

let me tell you, don't trust that iscariot guy...

Nurses and doctors are not the best patients ... None the less, my very best is being sent your way, for a speedy recovery ...

Just think of all your fave fave dishes, and close your eyes, and the minor surgery shall be over ... And then:

you shall be at your table eating your fave meal !

All my best, Ciao,
Margi.

Hope all goes smoothly for you Tatt

Gall bladder surgery was one of the easiest surgeries I have ever had done. I had the laporoscopic (sp?) surgery. As soon as it was over and I woke up, I felt great. A little sore, and that's it. And that was with me having what the doctor called "the gall bladder from hell."

+1

My surgeon tried to do mine laparascopically, but there was too much scar tissue from previous abdominal surgeries (four). So he did it the regular way. The incision was only about three inches long! My mom had gallbladder surgery in the '90s and her incision was about eight inches long.

I was set for several days in the hospital, but they sent me home the next day because I was in the hospital bed surrounded by my laptop, cell phone, several magazines, and a dozen jazz CDs I was ripping to the laptop. The resident said it didn't look like I needed to be there :)

Surgery has come a long way, baby. You'll be home before you know it.

Fluffy Angel,
I'm not a nurse but I'm the worlds worst at fearing the worst. I've had 4 at the least bad outcomes from being put to sleep so no matter what I refuse it and then for weeks before my dh shows up at the coffee shop, work, dialysis with me with bite marks all over. :LOL: I snarl and snap at everyone refuse to eat,and snip at anyone who comes near me, I get so angry people look at me as if I'm a nasty old lady. And you know what I am. The poor nurses who have to Get me hooked to an IV, and especially the ones who ask me questions that I've already answered 4-5 times already take a step back when I say what again? So keep cooking and baking and let your family say thanks. But warn them to back off if they even look as if they might tell you it will be ok, you'll be fine, we love you. Any of that stuff sends me right over the edge.OH yes, You will be just fine!!!
kadesma:LOL:

Surgery, of course, went well if I haven't posted anything since. Thank you all for the uplifting & encouraging words of wisdom. I read this just before I was called back for my surgery & didn't have a chance to respond right away. Feeling much better now.

Welcome back, FA! We missed you! Hope all went well, and you're good as new!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom