"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
DC Grandma

I was in love with Robert Mitchem....Paul reminded me so much of him in sooo many ways. I guess that is why he was the love of my life...

I learned to hate "the African Queen" I didn't go to any of my Senior Years activity's so i filled in as an Usher at the movie theater where my friend worked...saw that movie for 8 hours a night for two weeks !!

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I was in love with Robert Mitchem....Paul reminded me so much of him in sooo many ways. I guess that is why he was the love of my life...
Oh, Marge, I know what you mean about Robert Mitchum. Did you ever see him in Thunder Road? I love that movie.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove

I learned to hate "the African Queen" I didn't go to any of my Senior Years activity's so i filled in as an Usher at the movie theater where my friend worked...saw that movie for 8 hours a night for two weeks !!
Now that you mention it Marge, your right, Paul did look like Robert Mitchem, very handsome.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I've always preferred brunettes, so Carry Grant is my favorite.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Even though Clark Gable is just about as gorgeous as it gets, Humphrey Bogart played opposite Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. Bogie had his quirky charm, too. Especially liked African Queen with him and Katharine Hepburn.
Right you are! I knew that didn't feel right, and a charming, knock you dead, good looking charmer was Clark, but yes, Humphrey Bogart did have his very own personal style of charm. I didn't care for for Katherine, and yet it may well have been because of her involvement with Spencer Tracy, a pair both on and off the screen. Actually, they did make some good movies, and quite a few as I remember. It may have been their private life that just ruined them for me, not than it was any worse than a lot of the others, even back then. If memory serves though Ingrid had passed on even before I was born. Yet those movies are as enjoyable as ever.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Head Chef

I loved redheads so much I married one...

BTW... This picture was taken only a few miles from where the African Queen now resides. :D

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Even though Clark Gable is just about as gorgeous as it gets, Humphrey Bogart played opposite Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. Bogie had his quirky charm, too. Especially liked African Queen with him and Katharine Hepburn.
Bergman wasn't a redhead, but Hepburn certainly was. (Casablanca may be my favorite dramatic movie ever.) I agree about Gable being gorgeous, and Bogart being dark and intriguing, and in his own way, quite charming. I'm all for the swarthy ones, with the exception of Joseph Cotten, who I think is all that and a bag of chips.

BC
Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestobake
Right you are! I knew that didn't feel right, and a charming, knock you dead, good looking charmer was Clark, but yes, Humphrey Bogart did have his very own personal style of charm. I didn't care for for Katherine, and yet it may well have been because of her involvement with Spencer Tracy, a pair both on and off the screen. Actually, they did make some good movies, and quite a few as I remember. It may have been their private life that just ruined them for me, not than it was any worse than a lot of the others, even back then. If memory serves though Ingrid had passed on even before I was born. Yet those movies are as enjoyable as ever.
Depends on when you were born. Ingrid died in 1982. By then, my children were in their teens. Oops. Guess I'm showin' my age.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Depends on when you were born. Ingrid died in 1982. By then, my children were in their teens. Oops. Guess I'm showin' my age.
I thought she died way before then. When was Casablanca made? I certainly was around long before 1982, but I certainly am not up on movie trivia, and we were just talking about that very movie not long ago. Cary Grant another one over whom we can drool! Robert Mitchum, I liked all those, but you must admit they are old more than a little bit older than we. YES!! Joseph Cotton. Why don't we have such handsome actors and actresses now ? How about Richard Widmark? If memory serves, it wasn't too hard to look at him either.

No Ingrid certainly wasn't a redhead by a long ways.

phinz you really did get you a redhead didn't you? Nice lookin' lady, I would say! Looks like you all could be right close to the beach!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hey, Loves, Casablanca was made in 1942, just slightly (very just) before my time. Great film. And, you're right, Richard Widmark wasn't too hard on the eyes either.