"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

maybe he is hot ... my dogs when hot get right on the leather ..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Yep. Hard to say.
My 8-1/2 year old went through a phase doing that for a while. Now she is content being back on the floor where "she belongs", and her joints are stiff, so the floor definitely isn't more comfortable for her.
Dogs do like sleeping up high when possible. It is where the alpha always sleeps, the highest spot. Nothing a mousetrap won't cure.
The mousetrap thing can be very effective. Buy the really small ones and set a few all over the couch and then cover with a sheet. Dogs sometimes learn a little slower than cats with this but it works a lot of the time. As far as why, I'd love to know, too. My Bella does the same thing, including jumping off fast and pretending she wasn't up there.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...but then, my dog just turned 5 months old recently and we spoiled him to bits. Who wouldn't? With a face like his, drool and all, we love him...

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
My Bella does the same thing, including jumping off fast and pretending she wasn't up there.
A sure sign; they don't put the remote back where you left it.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
A sure sign; they don't put the remote back where you left it.
OMG!!!! And I've been yelling at my kids for this!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMom View Post
I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...but then, my dog just turned 5 months old recently and we spoiled him to bits. Who wouldn't? With a face like his, drool and all, we love him...
There are lots of people who still think of dogs as dogs and do their best not to humanize them and place them at the same level as humans. Family members? Yes. Equals? No.
But hey, Cesar Milan has turned retraining humanized poochies into quite the little enterprise.... So I guess it benefits some people
Old 07-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMom View Post
I love my dog going on top of the couch. In the family room, our couch(es) are leather too. If it is fabric like in the formal lounge room, I will object as it may leave a smell, but leather you can wipe off the drool. I do not understand what the problem is...
He has the habit of always gathering his blankets in his dogbed by scratching it this way and that way until his bed is arranged just the way he likes it. Now he does this on the couch even though there's no blankets to gather and this leaves scratch marks all over my couch
Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Thanks all - I'm going to try the "behaviour modification via mouse trap" method (something I definitely would not have thought of on my own :-)) Will report back on effectiveness !
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK View Post
He has the habit of always gathering his blankets in his dogbed by scratching it this way and that way until his bed is arranged just the way he likes it. Now he does this on the couch even though there's no blankets to gather and this leaves scratch marks all over my couch
Oh...I am so sorry...

My dog just flops on the couch and sleeps or on the couch and put his head on my lap. I don't like him on the floor as sometimes it is just too cold there and you know how we people are...it is nice to be cool on the floor while young but it soon catches up with you when you get old...so do animals...

As for dogs, if the Hilton is available with all the services, why go camping on the car park?

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I hsve a question and I think I know the answer. but I want to ask anyway.

I always heard that the mousetrap will hurt the dog. Is this true. I am not sure anymore as my Lab springs them and crushes the trap in his mouth. Which also leads me to ask would mousetrap traning be efective on this dog.