"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
oh good point, I was looking at it at my own perspective. I have seen friends spend with out thinking. lol...

Seriously, what ever these people do for a living, im jumping in the same boat. Its gotta be sales/consulting or they own a big business. oh cant forget the lawyers and Dr's

My age has alot to do with it also. Im 23 and not yet married and looking at prices of houses really discourages me. I havent even started life and it already seems impossible
Like GotGarlic said these are not started houses. I bought my first house 4 years ago. We got our starter home. We love it, but there are a lot of things that we settled on so that we could afford it. It is not our dream house, but we love it all the same. buying a house is (most likely) the most expensive purchase you will ever make. It is not easy either. You can do it though. 23 is young these days to own a house. No way I would have ever been able to afford it when i was that age. We used money we got as gifts from our wedding as the down payment on ours. Without that we would have not been able to do it for a much longer time.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Sous Chef

IMHO The huge houses are gigantic monuments to consumption. Many are cheaply built consume massive amounts of energy and are way beyond what any family needs no matter how wealthy they are. They are sort of like those monsterous SUVs that are rapidly going out of style. there is just no reason a dentist with 2 kids in suburbian needs to drive a hummer that gets 12mpg. and he also does not need a 4500 sf house with 3 media rooms.

The old money where I grew up lived in surprisingly modest houses... spacious and well built but nothing like today's mc-mansions... they had good cars and quality everything but they maintaned it and did not replace on lease every couple years.... that is how the old money kept its money.

I wont go into lending or financial resposibility beacuse some of these people definitley can affford the McMansions (although many can not)but on a global consumtion level thses houses are disasterous.

They are either built on "greenfields" (formerly undeveloped or agricultural land) or existing servicable homes are demolished and carted off to the landfill to make way. They consume tremendous amounts of petro-chemical based non bio-degradable building materials and generally have finishes and systems that will last no more than a decade.

the profit margin is huge on these which is why you see so little new construction for middle and working class units (like say Levittown)

On this issue I have strong opinion and I do practice what I preach. I live in a formerly abandoned 150+ year old 850sf rowhouse (with 2 other people and a dog) near public tranportation in a redevloping inner city neighborhood. My house is one of only five left on a city block that probably once had at least 20. I am not a hard core environmentalist but I do believe is cities and building communities rather than trophies. If half of the sprawl outside my city had developed responsibly there would be more farms more campsites more hiking trails etc withing reach of the city instead of an endless growing ring of suburbia. It pains me everytime I drive out into the country and see anothe cul-de-sac amidst the farms or I see someone selling pieces of an old german barn on craigslist.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
and he also does not need a 4500 sf house with 3 media rooms.
I do not think it is fair to make that statement. Who are any of us to say what someone else needs?

The person who bought that house worked hard (I am speaking in generalities here. I know this is not always the case) to earn the money they used to buy that house. It is up to them to decide what they want to spend it on. What if they enjoy that house and enjoy having 3 media rooms? Didn't they earn the right to have those things by working hard and earing enough money to pay for them?

Again, it is all perspective. I know people who grew up with 12 people living in one room. Multiple people would share a bed. Those people could just as easily look at you and say that you do not need a multi room house with a bedroom and bed for every person.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

It's not hard to buy a home if you have the dough - stable job history, good credit etc. I know you are much in like w that house, but everyone's taste is different. Personally, it does not appeal to me. Looks like a road for trafficc outside the house. Hard to tell. The property isn't set back far enough w enough land around it. Looks like there's still construction going on. I might consider it if it was beachfront property in So Ca - j/k. Even then, not my taste. There are lots of reasons why homes don't sell. But, right now it's a buyers' market. Prices are very low & probably will drop even further. As a homeowner considering selling, this market gives me a stomach ache. Anything I've considered looking at is a short/fast close and/or the bank is foreclosing. If you are serious, sit down with a lender, & don't get in over your head.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Sometimes the house payments aren't that much higher than rent payments. Might as well make the money go somewhere useful. What I'm excited about is we calculated our finances a few months ago and if we keep up our current payments we will have the house paid off in a total of 12 years. Wahoo! Then I can go buy one of those castles on the hill! J/K

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

When you enlarge your screen and then enlarge
the first photo, you see the massiveness of it all. You never have to leave. But the people inside disconnect. If you scroll down below the photo, the advertiser is 'flowers.com
I guess you need flowers from dying of shock when you get your first mortgage payment.

If you do the same for photo 2, you see the virgin land being destroyed. Such a shame.! No mountain shack or bungalow here.

* * safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand
come and see my shiny palace built upon
the sand. * author ? *
Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I think no matter what your thoughts are on types or sizes of houses, virtually every financial counselor agrees that home ownership is key in financial security. Sadly, most folks don't get much counseling beyond that and end up in over their heads. There are record numbers of foreclosures right now and it breaks my heart for those people who are losing their homes.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Head Chef

Oh no way, im not buying a house untill im 27 or 28. I need to build my income. I just spent 15k on a new car. I pay double each month for my payments. Since i still live at home becasue i cant afford school, car, rent and food, i have decided to plan for the future. married when im 25 and then a house when im 28. A modest house for two and however many kids i have by then.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
When you enlarge your screen and then enlarge
the first photo, you see the massiveness of it all. You never have to leave. But the people inside disconnect. If you scroll down below the photo, the advertiser is 'flowers.com
I guess you need flowers from dying of shock when you get your first mortgage payment.

If you do the same for photo 2, you see the virgin land being destroyed. Such a shame.! No mountain shack or bungalow here.

* * safe upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand
come and see my shiny palace built upon
the sand. * author ? *
yeah the mountain itself is massive. the land is getting destroyed. I used to ride my horses up there when i was a kid but not anymore.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I pay double each month for my payments.
That is a great thing to do! It is an excellent habit to get into. If you can do the same thing when you buy your house then you will be in great shape. Well maybe not double, but anything extra is great. We have always paid more than our mortgage payment each month. It really adds up.