"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Isn't Missoula a cattle transfer town? Sort of like Vermont used to be? More cows than people.
Not anymore...it's a transient center, you know, you feed them and they will come. Many of the folks here are vegetarians, we don't need so many cows. It's more of a farm/produce/orchard area.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not anymore...it's a transient center, you know, you feed them and they will come. Many of the folks here are vegetarians, we don't need so many cows. It's more of a farm/produce/orchard area.
We stopped there once on our way cross country. There were a bunch of pens filled with steers and a lone gas tank. An old man came out and did fill our tank, but wasn't sure what to charge us. The gas was for the trucks that brought the cattle in to be shipped. He just wrote down how much they put in their tanks and then someone sent a bill to their company. We paid him in cash. We had the feeling that the company never saw that money. Fine with us.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
We stopped there once on our way cross country. There were a bunch of pens filled with steers and a lone gas tank. An old man came out and did fill our tank, but wasn't sure what to charge us. The gas was for the trucks that brought the cattle in to be shipped. He just wrote down how much they put in their tanks and then someone sent a bill to their company. We paid him in cash. We had the feeling that the company never saw that money. Fine with us.
That must have occurred a while ago...we even have an escalator in the mall now and not a cow pen in sight.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

About 35 years ago. Do you have a traffic light too? And more than one cop who also drives the school bus?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
About 35 years ago. Do you have a traffic light too? And more than one cop who also drives the school bus?
And a Coffee Shop on every corner.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #46
Master Chef

Probably a Dunkin' Donuts PF! Just like "Chickenman"!

Minot is a bit far for me to want to drive 1850 miles for a meet-up, no matter HOW much fun you guys all are! Now if we picked a place a little more centered it might be nice, but with as far spread as we are maybe two "conventions" held at the same time, one centered east of the Mississippi and one west? We could pull them together via an internet connection and be in two places at once!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

This place had to have been on the outskirts of town. We also stopped at a diner, gift shop for a cup of coffee and something to eat. They had a boot scraper outside. The place was filled with a bunch of cowboys that had that wonderful horsey smell. And all their Ford 250 pickup trucks were parked outside. I had to explain to my son about a lot of things. Like what that thing outside the door was. This diner was the only building around. When you looked to the left, you could see the mountains at the end of the prairie. Beautiful sight.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
This place had to have been on the outskirts of town. We also stopped at a diner, gift shop for a cup of coffee and something to eat. They had a boot scraper outside. The place was filled with a bunch of cowboys that had that wonderful horsey smell. And all their Ford 250 pickup trucks were parked outside. I had to explain to my son about a lot of things. Like what that thing outside the door was. This diner was the only building around. When you looked to the left, you could see the mountains at the end of the prairie. Beautiful sight.
I'm thinking you were east of the mountains from us...out towards Bozeman or Billings. Cows were never a big thing in Missoula, it's a logging town. We are also surrounded on all sides by the mountains, not just one side.

CG...not a single Dunkin Donuts around here...but if you like expensive espresso's, we got 'em.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #49
Master Chef

PF, you guys ain't missin' much. DD is the biggest player, but they aren't the best IMO. Not much in the way of donut eaters in our house, but when I want one I want a good one. Been saving my donut calories for when a new place opens - which was supposed to be almost 2 month ago! Small "chain" - I think ours is the 5th one? All made from scratch in-house. We drove a couple towns over to sample. Boy was that donut good.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The grocery I use is a scratch bakery. Very good, almost as good as the bakery where Shrek and I worked.