"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
That's gonna be the basis for the next myth the Mythbusters test. Hey, lets put Buster (their test dummy) in a pool, float a power strip on sandals and see how big of a splash will kill him!
hahahahahaahahahahaha!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Looked at another way, Why do men die before Women?

You make us want to.

LaDum!

Far as the picture?

Is it real? Is the circuit active (?) or is it something someone put together for a laugh? A hot plate in the pool, Right!

Far as the picture ... too many people get their 'lessons' from Hollywood. If the circuit were active death, or even a shock, is far fronm certain. The people in the pool would have to be in series with the circuit, or be a better conductor than all the water around them, to even feel anything.

In short, the picture isn't "real" and if it is the people in the pool aren't in any real danger unless they grab hold of a ground (or a neutral).

Hollywood, main frames fail and blow up entire buildings, people get in house current and and breakers blow and wires fry, high explosives go off with huge rolling fireballs, the reconstruction of perfect detail from a handful of pixels .... none of it real.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Although I love to cook, I joined this forum because of this thread. Yes, ladies, I am a male.

Wart is somewhat correct. However, I think wart's explanation is lacking.

The fact is, the picture IS REAL. Clean water is not a very good conductor of electricity. Salt water is a much better conductor.

That doesn't matter, though, when examining this picture. There is a reason they used a surge protector to float above the water rather than a simple extension cord (as they are using on the side of the pool). If water hits the top of the surge protector, it disengages the circuit. Therefore, no one in the pool will be electrocuted. I could go on, but I'm sure you ladies are already bored.

This thread should be entitled, "Why Men Are Smarter Than Women."

Sorry, ladies. I just get tired of you bashing on us. It's really not called for, nor is my retort. But, that's the way it is.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Wow guys, overanalyze much lol? It's just a funny picture. I don't think it's meant to bash anyone... not like there's a lack of women jokes out there. Just saw one on another forum titled "Why beer is better than women." I laughed... and yes, I'm a woman.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
Wow guys, overanalyze much lol? It's just a funny picture. I don't think it's meant to bash anyone... not like there's a lack of women jokes out there. Just saw one on another forum titled "Why beer is better than women." I laughed... and yes, I'm a woman.
Hi, Jen.

Nice pup, pup in your avatar. :)

I do over analyze. It's funny, because every woman I've been involved with has accused me of that (and rightly so). I guess that's why I've never been married and never will be. :) Of course, we are not involved in any way and never will be.

Anyway, an over abundance of jokes here or there is irrelevant. All that matters is the joke at hand. I do admit, it's freaking hilarious, but I still must defend my mates.

On another note, why do "women" become offended when a man calls them "girl?" If I was a girl, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Why? Because the word Women (Woman) is a concatenation of three seperate words: Woe To Man.

That's not cool, IMO. So, again, I just don't get it. As a female, I'd rather be called girl than woman.

OK. Sorry for the rambling, but that is what I do.

Now, can I give all of you the BEST pasta sauce recipe in the world? I've perfected this over years, and it IS the best. I also have other recipes and spice mixes that are simply da bomb.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Although I love to cook, I joined this forum because of this thread. Yes, ladies, I am a male.

Wart is somewhat correct. However, I think wart's explanation is lacking.

The fact is, the picture IS REAL. Clean water is not a very good conductor of electricity. Salt water is a much better conductor.

That doesn't matter, though, when examining this picture. There is a reason they used a surge protector to float above the water rather than a simple extension cord (as they are using on the side of the pool). If water hits the top of the surge protector, it disengages the circuit. Therefore, no one in the pool will be electrocuted. I could go on, but I'm sure you ladies are already bored.

This thread should be entitled, "Why Men Are Smarter Than Women."

Sorry, ladies. I just get tired of you bashing on us. It's really not called for, nor is my retort. But, that's the way it is.
Hey, what happened to your since of humor? My brother is married and has 4 daughters.... he thought it was funny!

I am married and have two sons and three daughters; my husband and sons also thought it was funny!

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
Hey, what happened to your since of humor? My brother is married and has 4 daughters.... he thought it was funny!

I am married and have two sons and three daughters; my husband and sons also thought it was funny!
It's all good, hon. Please read my response to Jen. I admit, it is hilarious. Truly, it's all good.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
Everymom

I'm going to lock this thread. Its really run its course and I don't want to see it degenerate into some kind of odd man vs woman thing.

Closed Thread