"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm with Callisto - putting it in her mouth will not do it ... you have to put it down her throat where she has to swallow or choke - she will swallow before she chokes.

But, yeah - banana flavored/scented antibiotics for cats? Probably a generic that would work for other critters as well .... which might be inclined to eat something with a banana flavor/smell.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

I have a pill shooter, it is about 5 inches long and holds a pill and you shoot the pill in the cat's open mouth. It usually takes hubby and me to do the job tho, he holds the cat and cat's front feet in a towel and I open the cat's mouth and pop that pill in or if cat is taking liquid meds.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I'm with Callisto - putting it in her mouth will not do it ... you have to put it down her throat where she has to swallow or choke - she will swallow before she chokes.

But, yeah - banana flavored/scented antibiotics for cats? Probably a generic that would work for other critters as well .... which might be inclined to eat something with a banana flavor/smell.

it's tough to say the reasoning they have so as to why they give banana meds to a regulsr pet!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Again, you don't know what the meds taste like, only what you smell.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Master Chef

90% of what we percieve as taste is actually aroma.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
90% of what we percieve as taste is actually aroma.
Humans are not cats. With my cats they hear the box or can and come running. Scent has nothing to do with it. I can tap a can of green beans and they come running.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
Head Chef

I once had to give my cats Kaopectate (or maybe it was Pepto Bismol) with a turkey baster! Not fun! I nearly bled to death. Since then I've had dogs -- they eat just about anything, and they don't try to kill you if you have to shove something down their throats.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
Master Chef

Talking How to give your cat a pill

How to give your cat a pill... humor
1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "Thats a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

There is a liquid preparation of erythromicin that smells and tastes like banana. It's usually a thick white liquid. It's used for children a lot and I've often noticed that vets can use the same meds for certain animal conditions that humans use. I'll bet that's what you're giving your cats. I know kids will do the same with the med as your cat is doing too!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
How to give your cat a pill... humor
1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "Thats a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.

thank you!! the only meds my cat loved were the stuff for furballs - he would come running for that stuff all i did was take cap off and squeeze. and he loved brewers yeast, i can't remember what my vet told me to use that for but he loved it also. that was lot of years ago my poor aja passed of old age at 22.