Wifey had another baby!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
First let me say I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while. Life has been tough lately. I recently sold my party rental business and I'm having a lot of separation anxiety with that. I'm having to deal with finding a new career path. Wifey just had our second baby (girl). Right now both kids are sick with the flu. What with the sale (forced sale) of the business money is pretty tight now. My first true love (my truck) is very sick and I don't know if I can revive her. I suppose after almost 13 years and 300,000 miles she's probably ready to retire.

On the upside, with what little spare time I have had lately, I have been spending more time in the kitchen. Last week I made what I woudl consider to be the best pot roast I have ever made. The gravy was sublime and teh meat was buttery and tender. I've also been doing a lot of stir frying and still making a TON of broths every chance I get. I've also been experimenting a lot with risoto (sp) and sauces. My biggest problem is I have a hard time cooking for just the family. I have a HUGE tendency to cook for 10 or more people out of sheer habbit.

Since I have been cooking a lot more lately I have taken special notice of my pots and pans. I don't know what the typical life expectancy is on non-stick but I'm sure I've gone past it an almost all my pans. My pots are all showing signs of scorching and the tops have all cracked. It's truly embarrasing to say the least.

So anyway... I was thinking about maybe having an enormous pot-luck with some foodies here at the forum this summer. Right now I'm just thinking out loud. I haven't thought about any logistics yet. Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

Sorry for the long post. Since I haven't been here in so long I have a lot of built-up discussion to let out:-p

Hey, Chris! First, congratulations on the new daughter. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. They grow up way too soon. My "baby" was 33 in November. I still don't know how that happened.

Great news on your pot roast. I'll bet it was awesome. There's nothing like a great piece of beef.

As for your cookware, guess you got your best out of them. I had a Revere Ware nonstick skillet for 20 years that I replaced a year ago. I'm still using some "regular" Revere Ware I've had for over 30 years that's still going strong.

Having said that, I also have lots of things like Calphalon, etc., so I'm not a Revere Ware junkie.

I, too, have a problem cooking in minimal quantities. I began cooking when I was 8-years-old and cooked for at least 7 people until Buck and I ended up empty nesters. Whoa! That was a real wake-up call. I'm still trying to adjust. Just say...I'm so happy we have a freezer.

And, yes, the potluck sounds wonderful.

Hey Home Chef-congrats on the new addition-there is absolutely nothing in this life as precious or as wonderful as a new child !! You are so lucky!!

Sorry to hear about your buisness and your truck, but you will find as time goes on that these were just little bunps in the road.

Just wanted to wish you all the best:)

Things will get better.

Think about good first, you have a new baby, may she be the pride and joy for you and your wife. The rest of the stuff is only temporary, it will get better.

Oh yea. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff. We're all healthy and hpaay with shelter and good food. After all that there's not much to complain about, right ;-)

Also, I thinkn I'm going to start looking for some All-Clad. I certainly can't afford a set but I can get a pot & pan for now and build on that.

It's so nice to see you back, HC!

First off, congrats on the new little girl in your life - that's awesome!
Secondly, :dry: maybe you ought to have the baby "register" for calphalon for her baby shower. heh heh.

With your adoration for the kitchen, ever thought of expanding it and perhaps attending a culinary school? Even though money's tight, I bet there are grants out there that are just waiting to be used.

Oh, and I'd love to hear what you did with the roast!

Back
Top Bottom