"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Wifey had another baby!!!

First let me say I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while. Life has been tough lately. I recently sold my party rental business and I'm having a lot of separation anxiety with that. I'm having to deal with finding a new career path. Wifey just had our second baby (girl). Right now both kids are sick with the flu. What with the sale (forced sale) of the business money is pretty tight now. My first true love (my truck) is very sick and I don't know if I can revive her. I suppose after almost 13 years and 300,000 miles she's probably ready to retire.

On the upside, with what little spare time I have had lately, I have been spending more time in the kitchen. Last week I made what I woudl consider to be the best pot roast I have ever made. The gravy was sublime and teh meat was buttery and tender. I've also been doing a lot of stir frying and still making a TON of broths every chance I get. I've also been experimenting a lot with risoto (sp) and sauces. My biggest problem is I have a hard time cooking for just the family. I have a HUGE tendency to cook for 10 or more people out of sheer habbit.

Since I have been cooking a lot more lately I have taken special notice of my pots and pans. I don't know what the typical life expectancy is on non-stick but I'm sure I've gone past it an almost all my pans. My pots are all showing signs of scorching and the tops have all cracked. It's truly embarrasing to say the least.

So anyway... I was thinking about maybe having an enormous pot-luck with some foodies here at the forum this summer. Right now I'm just thinking out loud. I haven't thought about any logistics yet. Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

Sorry for the long post. Since I haven't been here in so long I have a lot of built-up discussion to let out

Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sorry about your business and truck but HUGE congratulations on your baby girl!! Good luck on all fronts!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hey, Chris! First, congratulations on the new daughter. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. They grow up way too soon. My "baby" was 33 in November. I still don't know how that happened.

Great news on your pot roast. I'll bet it was awesome. There's nothing like a great piece of beef.

As for your cookware, guess you got your best out of them. I had a Revere Ware nonstick skillet for 20 years that I replaced a year ago. I'm still using some "regular" Revere Ware I've had for over 30 years that's still going strong.

Having said that, I also have lots of things like Calphalon, etc., so I'm not a Revere Ware junkie.

I, too, have a problem cooking in minimal quantities. I began cooking when I was 8-years-old and cooked for at least 7 people until Buck and I ended up empty nesters. Whoa! That was a real wake-up call. I'm still trying to adjust. Just say...I'm so happy we have a freezer.

And, yes, the potluck sounds wonderful.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Hey Home Chef-congrats on the new addition-there is absolutely nothing in this life as precious or as wonderful as a new child !! You are so lucky!!

Sorry to hear about your buisness and your truck, but you will find as time goes on that these were just little bunps in the road.

Just wanted to wish you all the best

Things will get better.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Congratulations Home Chef !!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Master Chef

Think about good first, you have a new baby, may she be the pride and joy for you and your wife. The rest of the stuff is only temporary, it will get better.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Oh yea. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff. We're all healthy and hpaay with shelter and good food. After all that there's not much to complain about, right ;-)
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Also, I thinkn I'm going to start looking for some All-Clad. I certainly can't afford a set but I can get a pot & pan for now and build on that.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Grats on the new baby!