"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

More than last year only because we didn't really celebrate last year. Our DD was only one yr so we knew she wouldn't notice and things were tight(we didn't even put any decorations or a tree up. But this year she will be old enough to not nescessarily understand it but she can definately enjoy it this time around! But we won't be celebrating until the very end of Dec when daddy gets home!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Our government in Australia has made a decision due to the global encomomies and the financial crisis impacting on it's citizens via loss of jobs due to less export's and what this could mean to famillies at Christmas time offered a gift of up to 1,000 dollars per child as support during this time to spend.. spend...spend... but on the other hand we are being told to pay off as much debt as possible, we believe to be heading into a depression and financially predicting not get out of before 10yrs has passed... who knows but I can say that the news over here for anyone due to retire is not good as superannuation( retirement fund) has been swollowed up by the fall of the stockmarket worldwide. People who have saved for caring for themselves have very little if any money left and may have to return to work ... if there is any work left. Something to share with the grandkids in the future I suppose HOW WE SURVIVED the millenium depression years.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Senior Cook

We've cut back the last five years or so. We buy for our 2 kids and sil and 2 grandkids. Dh and I just bought a new cooktop, oven, hood and microwave. Also a new liner for our inground pool and cement leveling around the pool. lol That is basically our Christmas presents to each other.
We also volunteer for the Clothe-A-Child in our area and donate to the food bank. That makes it more worthwhile.

Barb
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Nothing will change this year, our gift giving is already pretty bare-bones, has been for years.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #15
Sous Chef

About the same.

Last year it was a computer and new bed.

This year it's a new fridge.

Buying for others ......

Not much.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When we found anything someone on our list (family and best friend's family) would like, if we had the money we bought it then. Nothing big, but what they would like. We can't afford gifts now, so fortunately we bought enough earlier in the year. As far as each other, we will probably just do the Dollar Tree grab bags again (something we have decided to make part of our tradition anyway, since the firs time was a fun Christmas, even with no money and TV dinners for our Christmas meal). We will probably make each other something.

Barbara
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Went out the other day and spent about $450 on Xmas gifts. I dont think we will change much from last year. No changes in jobs since last year.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
Head Chef

More baking and crafting ... all our gifts to family and friends are homemade. I've thrown pots, woven baskets, stamped greeting card sets and will start sewing some bags next week. The only purchased gifts are for my FIL (a contribution towards a new set of clubs) and one niece (a contribution towards a school trip to NYC next summer). Our gift costs this year will be about 1/2 plus, a lot more meaningful.

We are traveling to Oregon, though, to visit DH's family. That's an expense I don't mind though.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
Head Chef

Probably about the same.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
Executive Chef

more

for all our Christmas presents, we buy animals through Heifer International. Each year I try to buy one more animal than we bought the previous year and we should be able to do that this year too.