"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Head Chef
Will you be spending less or more at Christmas

With the economy the way it is, Just wondered, what people will be doing this year.

I'm cutting back on baking, not going to do all the cookies, just my fudge and Peanut brittle for gifts, But will do my butter cookies for my family and that alll the cookies this year.

Gifts I have set an amount for each one and will be sticking to it.
I forsee a less stress Holiday for me.

what is everyone elses plans

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Head Chef
At this point, I see no changes here. My kids are getting older, and are interested in more expensive things ( like computers ....) so the gift prices will go up. As far as decorations, we splurged last year, therefore, we have little to buy this year. Luckily for me, the economy hasn't really affected my business as of yet, but the way things are going, Id be stupid and irresponsible if I werent cautious

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
We had already cut way back from previous years so I doubt we will change much this year. DW and I rarely get each other gifts for mutual gift giving holidays. Instead be buy things we need and call that a gift to each other. This year we bought a new mattress and that was our gift to each other.

The grandparents spoil our kids with gifts, way more than any kid would ever need so we sometimes do not even buy the kids anything, although this year we will have to get Rach something because she is old enough to know who gave what and will wonder why we did not give her a gift. We will give our parents one gift each which is what we usually try to do. We will not spend a lot, but we will still find ways to let the people in our lives know we love and appreciate them.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Probably a little less, but not by much. We aren't exactly big spenders, (shop at TJ Maxx, Costco, Sam's; no fancy vacations, etc.) but Christmas has always been my one splurge of the year. My kids are grown so now it's things like a GPS, a new T.V., etc., things that add up quickly.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
The same... Next year though... we are going to try to talk both families in to doing NO gifts and instead joining us all in Mexico or even some other fun place even just the coast for vacation.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Head Chef
We are finally getting it that we spend far more on Christmas gifts than we need to. We are only buying for the kids (2) and are giving each other token gifts at no more than 15.00 each. Suits me fine. As I said in my earlier post on this same subject, make me something that's either baked, canned, sewn or crocheted and I will value it far more. I can't imagine why so many people feel so obligated to buy expensive gifts and put themselves into credit card debt.

If I spend $50 on Mary and she spends $50 on me it's a wash. She returns what I bought her, I return what she bought me. The chances are good that neither of us needed or wanted what we bought each other. Makes no sense.

I think Pd'swife has the right idea. Everyone enjoys a great vacation.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Master Chef
I'm cheap so I usually don't do gifts, although I give cash gifts to my wife on holidays and anniversaries. She gives gifts to the immediate family only. I usually end up buying toys for myself (hobby related) over the internet as gifts to myself. That always makes me feel good.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Master Chef
A LOT less than I normally do.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Master Chef
Probably around the same as last year. We have a budget and stick to it, and also save for it all year long so it doesn't hit us so bad. For us birthdays start in August, then one in September, one in October, then Halloween with costumes and candy, then two birthdays and Thanksgiving in November, then Christmas.... yikes!
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Master Chef
i'm spending more. i hafta buy jake a gift, at least.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote