Will you be spending less or more at Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
With the economy the way it is, Just wondered, what people will be doing this year.

I'm cutting back on baking, not going to do all the cookies, just my fudge and Peanut brittle for gifts, But will do my butter cookies for my family and that alll the cookies this year.

Gifts I have set an amount for each one and will be sticking to it.
I forsee a less stress Holiday for me.

what is everyone elses plans

At this point, I see no changes here. My kids are getting older, and are interested in more expensive things ( like computers ....) so the gift prices will go up. As far as decorations, we splurged last year, therefore, we have little to buy this year. Luckily for me, the economy hasn't really affected my business as of yet, but the way things are going, Id be stupid and irresponsible if I werent cautious

We had already cut way back from previous years so I doubt we will change much this year. DW and I rarely get each other gifts for mutual gift giving holidays. Instead be buy things we need and call that a gift to each other. This year we bought a new mattress and that was our gift to each other.

The grandparents spoil our kids with gifts, way more than any kid would ever need so we sometimes do not even buy the kids anything, although this year we will have to get Rach something because she is old enough to know who gave what and will wonder why we did not give her a gift. We will give our parents one gift each which is what we usually try to do. We will not spend a lot, but we will still find ways to let the people in our lives know we love and appreciate them.

Probably a little less, but not by much. We aren't exactly big spenders, (shop at TJ Maxx, Costco, Sam's; no fancy vacations, etc.) but Christmas has always been my one splurge of the year. My kids are grown so now it's things like a GPS, a new T.V., etc., things that add up quickly.

The same... Next year though... we are going to try to talk both families in to doing NO gifts and instead joining us all in Mexico or even some other fun place even just the coast for vacation.

We are finally getting it that we spend far more on Christmas gifts than we need to. We are only buying for the kids (2) and are giving each other token gifts at no more than 15.00 each. Suits me fine. As I said in my earlier post on this same subject, make me something that's either baked, canned, sewn or crocheted and I will value it far more. I can't imagine why so many people feel so obligated to buy expensive gifts and put themselves into credit card debt.

If I spend $50 on Mary and she spends $50 on me it's a wash. She returns what I bought her, I return what she bought me. The chances are good that neither of us needed or wanted what we bought each other. Makes no sense.

I think Pd'swife has the right idea. Everyone enjoys a great vacation.

I'm cheap so I usually don't do gifts, although I give cash gifts to my wife on holidays and anniversaries. She gives gifts to the immediate family only. I usually end up buying toys for myself (hobby related) over the internet as gifts to myself. That always makes me feel good. :D

Probably around the same as last year. We have a budget and stick to it, and also save for it all year long so it doesn't hit us so bad. For us birthdays start in August, then one in September, one in October, then Halloween with costumes and candy, then two birthdays and Thanksgiving in November, then Christmas.... yikes!

More than last year only because we didn't really celebrate last year. Our DD was only one yr so we knew she wouldn't notice and things were tight(we didn't even put any decorations or a tree up. But this year she will be old enough to not nescessarily understand it but she can definately enjoy it this time around! But we won't be celebrating until the very end of Dec when daddy gets home! :)

Our government in Australia has made a decision due to the global encomomies and the financial crisis impacting on it's citizens via loss of jobs due to less export's and what this could mean to famillies at Christmas time offered a gift of up to 1,000 dollars per child as support during this time to spend.. spend...spend... but on the other hand we are being told to pay off as much debt as possible, we believe to be heading into a depression and financially predicting not get out of before 10yrs has passed... who knows but I can say that the news over here for anyone due to retire is not good as superannuation( retirement fund) has been swollowed up by the fall of the stockmarket worldwide. People who have saved for caring for themselves have very little if any money left and may have to return to work ... if there is any work left. Something to share with the grandkids in the future I suppose HOW WE SURVIVED the millenium depression years.

We've cut back the last five years or so. We buy for our 2 kids and sil and 2 grandkids. Dh and I just bought a new cooktop, oven, hood and microwave. Also a new liner for our inground pool and cement leveling around the pool. lol That is basically our Christmas presents to each other.
We also volunteer for the Clothe-A-Child in our area and donate to the food bank. That makes it more worthwhile.

Barb

Nothing will change this year, our gift giving is already pretty bare-bones, has been for years.

About the same.

Last year it was a computer and new bed.

This year it's a new fridge.

Buying for others ...... :ROFLMAO:

Not much.

When we found anything someone on our list (family and best friend's family) would like, if we had the money we bought it then. Nothing big, but what they would like. We can't afford gifts now, so fortunately we bought enough earlier in the year. As far as each other, we will probably just do the Dollar Tree grab bags again (something we have decided to make part of our tradition anyway, since the firs time was a fun Christmas, even with no money and TV dinners for our Christmas meal). We will probably make each other something. :cool:

:)Barbara

Went out the other day and spent about $450 on Xmas gifts. I dont think we will change much from last year. No changes in jobs since last year.

More baking and crafting ... all our gifts to family and friends are homemade. I've thrown pots, woven baskets, stamped greeting card sets and will start sewing some bags next week. The only purchased gifts are for my FIL (a contribution towards a new set of clubs) and one niece (a contribution towards a school trip to NYC next summer). Our gift costs this year will be about 1/2 plus, a lot more meaningful.

We are traveling to Oregon, though, to visit DH's family. That's an expense I don't mind though.

more

for all our Christmas presents, we buy animals through Heifer International. Each year I try to buy one more animal than we bought the previous year and we should be able to do that this year too.

Back
Top Bottom