"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I loved my XP, but literally wore it out. The letters were worn off the keys and all the portals were "wallered out".

So...DH got me a new one with Vista Home Basic and I HATE IT! It's not compatible with any of my programs, doesn't recognize my printer, tells me the part of my hard drive for back-ups is full and I can't empty it out, so I can't do new back-ups...shall I go on?

I wish there were some way I could re-program my new PC with XP.
You can, BUT, warranty is voided in doing so.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
Master Chef
Site Moderator
XP will continue to be available until the end of June 2008. MS will continue to "support" XP for several years, but there is no word if there will be another service pack or not. The next MS OS,Windows 7, due out in 2009 or 2010 (Vista's replacement).

I have two computers, one machine with XP and one with Vista. I use them both. I have tried and tried and I still prefer XP.

DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Does anyone know anything about the validity of this issue (DRM) ?
Yes, DRM is a truly problematic issue, and it is worse with Vista than with any previous MS OS. The bad news is, I'd say the odds are about 90% that it will be worse yet with any later releases of MS OSes (such as Windows 7).
Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
not in the market for new puter right now. thanks for all the information on vista. you guys are so smart.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #35
Executive Chef
DW is a computer consultant - she is in the middle of doing her Microsoft qualifications for 2008. This includes Vista - so she may be able to give help & advice. She also does not particularly like it and tells me there is little point in having it as Microsoft have already set an expiry date - it is intended only as a short term product (a bit like Windows 2000)
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon
James hasn't had any problems with his. I guess I will find out soon. We did a little shopping today. James got a really good new desktop that he can use for his CADD work, and I will get his old one (it is still fairly new, and better than mine). The one I have been using has XP, but his and his new one have Vista. We also each got laptops, and they both have Vista. I hope I don't have any problems with it. I am hoping that since it has been around a little while, some of the bugs have been worked out.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #37
Master Chef
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
You can, BUT, warranty is voided in doing so.
The computer warranty is not voided, it is the OS support that is voided. If you have a hardware failure it is still covered by the manufacturer same as before.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #38
Master Chef
If anyone is interested, I have a non-licensing copy of XP Pro. You just use the CD and your install key to install it on your computer. Perfectly valid, updates fine, and legal. By non-licensing it means after install with a valid install key it does not make you connect to their server and register the copy with them (using that wonderfully long code they give you).
It is what I am going to use when the kids new Dells get here. Both are coming with Vista, and instead of paying more money for an older OS, I let em send it that way. I have already gathered together all of the drivers for both computers, so all I have to do is wipe the hard drive, install XP Pro, and then re-install the drivers.
This gives me a nice clean install, non of the useless 'extras' they always package with the OS, and more stable as well. I have two XP Pro install keys left over from their Toshibas, which their younger sister decided one day needed a good washing. Since I own the keys, and those computers will never run again, it is perfectly legal for me to transfer the sticker to their new Dells and install XP Pro on them.
The same goes for anyone who has an OS cd of their own and an install key that is not going to be used on any other computer. For me it will be my Media Center Edition CD and the MC install key from my current computer. My current computer I will re-load with XP Pro, for which I do have a spare key sticker.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #39
Head Chef
Being computer illiterate I bought my HP laptop just a few months ago from a small local computer store that gives good service. They would not let me take the HP without them taking vista out and installing my XP. They said maybe later when the bugs are out but not now no how. I'm good with that - apparently they had good reason.
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #40
Head Chef
David, you obvoiusly made a good choice of computer stores - these guys sound like keepers!

Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote