"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

I'm running an HP DV6000 laptop with Vista (and have been for a year now) and haven't had a problem or "glitch" one. However the general layout of things took a while to get used to...quite different from XP.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
I'll just give you an example of what's been happening today with Vista. Windows cannot search for updates now and it also cannot view the event manager so only I can log in. DH tried twice and it kicks him out. On top of that, I can't change his password, so I had to delete the old one, restart, then add a new one and restart, but then it wouldn't let him log in because of the event manager. When I look at the log for the issue, there are error messages with all numbers and letters. When I look on MS web site, there is nothing there with those errors. I've decided to completely strip my laptop of all my pics, etc. and then call support. after all, i have in home support for 2 more years that they told me was worth getting....how TRUE that is. Imagine if I had to call geek squad every time I had a problem? i'd have had enough money to buy a new Mac by now. For all of you that have Vista and don't have issues...my hat is off to you. For me it stinks and is not worth the money i spent for it...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Being computer illiterate I bought my HP laptop just a few months ago from a small local computer store that gives good service. They would not let me take the HP without them taking vista out and installing my XP. They said maybe later when the bugs are out but not now no how. I'm good with that - apparently they had good reason.
Wish Dell had done that for me... they told me that XP was no longer available...even the computer stores up here weren't carrying XP anymore. I had XP on my old computer and had no complaints...have it at work (XP Professional) and have no complaints. Well, I lost the computer in the divorce...guess getting Vista was the new headache...LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #44
Head Chef

Oh, meshoo -
Quote:
Well, I lost the computer in the divorce...guess getting Vista was the new headache...LOL
That is really adding insult to injury!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh, meshoo -

Well, the good news is that the DH I always refer to (sixsix210) is NOT the ex, he's THE one. My love, my new life, my knight in shining armor as they say and he's definitely an upgrade...definitely NOT Vista...
Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh, meshoo -

No insult there...she lost TWO useless heaps at once
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #47
Master Chef

I ordered my new DELL online, and I downgraded from Vista to Media Center, they also had XP still available. I would consider, if I was you, calling DELL and demanding an explanation for the lie. Perhaps after putting them on the spot and going to a supervisor or manager, you can weedle a CD for XP Pro for your computer. Then you can install it over Vista and be done with it.
Just to see what all the hype is, I let my kids new DELLs come with Vista. I WILL be installing Media Center shortly. It is so slow even the kids noticed and are complaining, they have a hard time doing anything, wait forever for it to load up, and it wont update at all either. One minute it says it needs an update to work IE properly, the next it says no update available. After only two days the kids are sick of it and begging me to fix their computers. As soon as I feel better, I will, by removing Vista.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #48
Senior Cook

See? I knew it..... Until you feel better, tell them to use firefox as the browser...IE7 is awful....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #49
Master Chef

Oh definitely, I am on Firefox now, and hopefully tomorrow I will get Firefox downloaded and running on their computers. Kinda mute as I will hopefully be installing Media Center onto their PCs this weekend.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
lol. once you go Mac, you never go back. There is no important software you can't find for a mac, there is no serious business software you can't find for a mac...heck...for that matter, with BootCamp, there is no windows software you can't run on a Mac, so why bother with all the techie junk? Wouldn't you rather spend 100% of your time doing what you want to do? Not 60% of your time fiddling with updates and uninstallers and drivers and all that bull-oney? And yes, they cost more, but they don't need to be replaced as often. Ever notice how the new Windows os' rarely work well with the old ones? Ever notice how it always ends up costing money or time to make it right? Ever notice that Bill Gates is one of the wealthiest people on the planet?