"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Firewall and anti-virus that also filters web content, keep the OS and programs updated, and do an occasional defrag.

And never, EVER, use an Administrator account as a user account.

So many people think a computer is or want a computer to be something brought home, plugged in and thats it. Not maintaining a computer is akin to not changing a cars oil or sharpening knives. Simple tasks that anyone can learn to do.
yup, the four most important things for computer security are:

1 OS updates
2 Virus updates and scans
3 Spyware updates and scans
4 FireWall

Number 3 is a very important step. At work, one of my clients had over 411 spyware on his machine. i spent alot of time and energy on his machine to just get it to start normally. His browesr and desktop were hijacked. He had a HUGE hazmat symbol embedded into his background image. The whole desktop was turned into a webpage and so no matter where you clicked, it would take you to a website.

I use spybot search and destroy because it is what i used when i worked at the repair shop, oh and its free.

AVG for virus and also Mcafee because i am a comcast subscriber with a fiber line.

I built my own enterprise Firewall with an IDS (Intrusion Detection System).

Like wart said, If your not going to change the oil, then why bother. Its so true. PC's are the same way. The most important security concept people need to know is UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE. Make sure EVERYTHING is up to date.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #72
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
and do an occasional defrag.
I was told that with drive sizes as large as they are now, defraging is not necessary anymore.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #73
Head Chef

Even with the bigger drives you still have to defrag. The only OS out there that has a journaling file system is Linux and possibly MAC. A journaling File system means that the kernal of the filesystem keeps track of where it puts data and keeps it Journaled so that it knows exactly where it is. With NTFS, you still have to defrag it. I use Buzzsaw, its a free auto defrag application
Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #74
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe defragging will speed up processing.

I run a maintenance wizard periodically when I feel enough activity has occurred to warrant it.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #75
Sous Chef

The Mac snobbery, arrogance, confidence debate

In August 2007 I posted a piece asking if Mac users were smug and arrogant. Over 4,000 of you voted in the poll at then end of the story with 64 percent stating that Mac users are smug and arrogant. Then in October I asked if Apple, Inc. was arrogant. In that poll over 800 votes were cast with a solid 70 percent stating that Apple was arrogant.
Adding fuel to the fire ....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #76
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Quote:
The Mac snobbery, arrogance, confidence debate

In August 2007 I posted a piece asking if Mac users were smug and arrogant. Over 4,000 of you voted in the poll at then end of the story with 64 percent stating that Mac users are smug and arrogant. Then in October I asked if Apple, Inc. was arrogant. In that poll over 800 votes were cast with a solid 70 percent stating that Apple was arrogant.
Adding fuel to the fire ....
it's hard not to be. I never have to fool around with de-fragging anything, all of the updates are stable, and one click later, they are done in the background. In 20 years of having a mac in the house I've had to call mac once for help. Turns out that 2 year olds and computers don't mix. Once I cleaned the jello out of the vent the problem went away. I can (and do) run linux, windows, unix, and mac OS all on the same machine, all seamlessly. With no problems. I sit here every night and watch DW struggle and squirm with Vista and complain and gripe, and call Dell, and wrestle with updates and it's always the same. My mothers computer is much the same and it's windowsXP. If you are not an Uber-Techie, what's the point? The interface is clunky and ugly, the maachines are cheaply constructed, and rarely work properly for long without some kind of serious maintenance issue. Macs rock.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #77
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe defragging will speed up processing.

I run a maintenance wizard periodically when I feel enough activity has occurred to warrant it.
Yes and no. no because the CPU is set at a clock speed that can only be changed in the BIOS settings, But yes because when the hard drive is clean and defragged it is faster because the HDD(hard drive) does not have to spend more time looking for the data.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #78
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
it's hard not to be. I never have to fool around with de-fragging anything, all of the updates are stable, and one click later, they are done in the background. In 20 years of having a mac in the house I've had to call mac once for help. Turns out that 2 year olds and computers don't mix. Once I cleaned the jello out of the vent the problem went away. I can (and do) run linux, windows, unix, and mac OS all on the same machine, all seamlessly. With no problems. I sit here every night and watch DW struggle and squirm with Vista and complain and gripe, and call Dell, and wrestle with updates and it's always the same. My mothers computer is much the same and it's windowsXP. If you are not an Uber-Techie, what's the point? The interface is clunky and ugly, the maachines are cheaply constructed, and rarely work properly for long without some kind of serious maintenance issue. Macs rock.
WOOT, another linux user.

I would not say that the people who use MACS are snobs or whatever, I would just say they are more confident with there PC's due to the fact that MAC is more stable than windows. I use Linux, MAC, and windows and i hate them all. I hate Linux some days because it cant run certain programs that windows can and MAC cant do things that Linux can and visa versa.

Apple needs to be careful how they do things. Yes microshaft screwed netscape navigator pretty bad and there are tons of other reasons to hate them and thats why there are a but load of viruses today. 90% of the computing world is windows and attackers know that.

To me the way Apple is advertising "Hi im a MAC and im a PC" is a lil dangerous. They are bragging about how they are or seem to be more superior than windows. To me they are far from for a couple of reasons.

first they cost way to much for what it is worth

second they are a proprietary system

third they really need to make ipods better, sorry for ipod owners and lovers but they need to fix some issues.

Fourth applications are sparse and they dont have as many as windows. (dont flame me)

For the most part though i do like MAC. They are fantastic for home use and small office. oh and i cant forget video and audio editing
Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #79
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
third they really need to make ipods better, sorry for ipod owners and lovers but they need to fix some issues.
What issues do they need to fix? I have had one very minor issue with my iPod (sometimes it does not shut off on the first try. The fix is to wait 30 seconds and try again). Other than that one very small thing my iPods have all worked exactly as they were supposed to work.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #80
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What issues do they need to fix? I have had one very minor issue with my iPod (sometimes it does not shut off on the first try. The fix is to wait 30 seconds and try again). Other than that one very small thing my iPods have all worked exactly as they were supposed to work.
ok its more of a feature that it needs than an issue fixed. The last ipod i used was 6 months ago. I do not like how once it is plugged into a PC, it cant transfer any songs to the PC. I like to be able to transfer my songs from my PC to the laptop. they should have stayed with standard formats rather than going with a proprietary format like itunes. The other feature i wish it had is the ability to transfer one song onto the player rather than all or nothing.
I think the player needs to have the ability to add songs to the queue.

bare in mind its been 6 months since i have used a ipod so things could have changed. Im not agaisnt them in any way i just like certain features that other players have. what i like about ipods though is the mass amounts of extras they have for them. it sux going to the store to buy something for my MP3 player and seeing ipod this and ipod that.