"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #81
Chief Eating Officer

My 60 gig iPod that I have had for a few years allows me to transfer one song onto it. It is not all or nothing. Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Did you have yours set to Manual?

As for moving songs from iPod to computer, check out Sharepod. it is a free program and works very well.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #82
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My 60 gig iPod that I have had for a few years allows me to transfer one song onto it. It is not all or nothing. Maybe I am not understanding you correctly. Did you have yours set to Manual?

As for moving songs from iPod to computer, check out Sharepod. it is a free program and works very well.
i think my problem was an outdated version of itunes and so it would only transfer one song at a time. Im not sure if it was set to manual or not. Itunes would not transfer over the songs i had selected. After i would select the songs i wanted, i would hit transfer( i think) and it would say transferring file 1 of 2000 and attempt to transfer my entire folder of music over to the ipod rather than the ones i had selected.

it was not my ipod so i didnt spend alot of time going through itunes.

sharepod eh, i will have to look into that. my friends have some good songs that i want and since they cant transfer from ipod to any pc, i might have to try this lil piece of software out.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #83
Chief Eating Officer

Sharepod will let you do that. the program actually sits on their iPod, not on the computer. My friends and I have used it to share music back and forth like that.

And just in case anyone reading this thinks doing that is wrong, the music I listen to and do this with is legally allowed to be traded so we are not breaking any laws by doing this.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #84
Executive Chef

I found out that Windows Vista won't take certain software for older equipment that was introduced before the OS in and of itself became available - such as older printers, scanners and other stuff.

Just like Windows XP wouldn't take software for older equipment that was introduced before IT became available!

This gets really annoying to me, because it seems that everytime Microsoft decides to put a new OS in computers, it necessitates either changing every optional accessory or calling the co that produced the printer, scanner or whatever else have you for software that's compatable with the OS in order to be able to install and use it successfully.

It has happened to me with XP as well as Vista. This practise keeps consumers buying new accessories everytime they get a pc with a new OS!
This really gets my goat! Windows 7 will be the same way if it comes out.

In other words, Microsoft forces you to keep up with the Joneses!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #85
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sharepod will let you do that. the program actually sits on their iPod, not on the computer. My friends and I have used it to share music back and forth like that.

And just in case anyone reading this thinks doing that is wrong, the music I listen to and do this with is legally allowed to be traded so we are not breaking any laws by doing this.
LOL im glad you mentioned the legalities because i was going to say the same but totally forgot to mention it.

fair use policy

My idea for the term "Network neighborhood" (icon found on win 9x OS) is to literally network my neighborhood. My friends and i are making a point to point link that is 3.5 miles in range for my wifi network. any one with the WPA enterprise security clearance can access my network. VPN is awesome to.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #86
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe defragging will speed up processing.

Depends who you talk to.

Some experts state defragging makes no difference in performance.

Other experts state defragging makes some difference in performance but not near as much as it use to.

And still others ask 'are you crazy?', on big jobs I can measure the difference with a wall clock.

?

With the last system (ATA, ultra ATA) defragging made a big difference. With this new system (SATA) I don't notice a difference.

Thing is, a fragmented drive works harder, uses more energy, runs hotter, and the stylus has to travel more. This leads to increased wear and could result in shorter life.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #87
Head Chef

I havent ran a defrag for ever because i have an auto defragger. Yes a fragmented drive does work harder and may cause a lower life span.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #88
Executive Chef

I also clean the hard drive now and then, to get rid of unwanted files and make room on the disk.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #89
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
MAverick:

You've convinced me.
LOL, I have my own personal preferences, but this wasn't about me it was about you, and your last post convinced me you would be much happier with a MAC (the tool reference). Given the price of the XPS and the MAC, I don't think it is much of a price leap for you to go with MAC.

Myself I am taking the kids two DELL Inspirons and removing Vista in favor of Media Center Edition. For mine I am canceling my Inspiron order (it was a 17" laptop with dual drives, HD monitor, blue ray burner) and looking into maybe an XPS M1730 gaming system or another high end XPS system.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #90
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
LOL, I have my own personal preferences, but this wasn't about me it was about you, and your last post convinced me you would be much happier with a MAC (the tool reference). Given the price of the XPS and the MAC, I don't think it is much of a price leap for you to go with MAC.

Myself I am taking the kids two DELL Inspirons and removing Vista in favor of Media Center Edition. For mine I am canceling my Inspiron order (it was a 17" laptop with dual drives, HD monitor, blue ray burner) and looking into maybe an XPS M1730 gaming system or another high end XPS system.

Thanks, Buddy.

Yours' and others' comments about Vista issues, swapping backwards to XP, etc. sold me. I don't want to have to think about that stuff. Also, for me, software availability is not an issue. I need MS Office and a few other odds and ends to make me happy.

This has been a very useful discussion of the pros and cons.