Windows Vista

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'm not in the market for a new computer. Just thinking ahead.

I have a Dell XPS with Windows XP Professional and I am pleased with it.

I have been hearing of Vista problems. A quick google on the topic is enough to scare a non-techie guy like me.

I read about DRM restrictions and google lawsuits and all kinds of bugs.

MAC TV ads aside, what's the story with Vista?

Personally, I never buy a 'First Generation' operating system. When Windows Media Center Edition came out and I got a new computer, I re-formated and installed Windows XP Professional. Now that Media Center seems to be running fine and Vista is out, my new laptop has Media Center on it.
If I do get another new laptop this year, I will roll it back to Media Center Edition if it comes with Vista.
I prefer to let others 'find' all the bugs and deal with all the problems, LOL. And I have talked to several people that have Vista, they are not pleased at all and I have been recommending they go back to Media Center. Same goes with the lawsuits and what-not, wait until they are settled or at least determined it will not effect you then feel free to upgrade.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to be on the 'cutting edge' of technology.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you can help it all at when you do choose to upgrade to a new operating system don't do the upgrade. Get the full version and take the time to re-format and do a clean install.
Always runs better that way.

I have Vista....stay AWAY. I hate it. Hate it, hate it. Am actually looking to dump a year old lap top and get a Mac. The Microsoft Office programs are available for it. The one draw back is that there are some games that can't be downloaded unless you have a Mac program called boot camp that you can run windows on the Mac. DH has a MAC and I love it and try to steal it as much as possible. When you are ready, talk to Mac users and SERIOUSLY consider staying away from Windows.

I have Vista....stay AWAY. I hate it. Hate it, hate it. Am actually looking to dump a year old lap top and get a Mac. The Microsoft Office programs are available for it. The one draw back is that there are some games that can't be downloaded unless you have a Mac program called boot camp that you can run windows on the Mac. DH has a MAC and I love it and try to steal it as much as possible. When you are ready, talk to Mac users and SERIOUSLY consider staying away from Windows.

I've used apples and MAC over the years and owned a MAC from '97 - '00 so switching back would not be an issue for me.

When the time comes, I would buy a MAC if the Vista issues are serious and if I could justify the higher price of the MAC.

I can't tell you what their story is, other than everyone I know hates it. And the guy who makes the software for my business told me to stay clear of it. In his words, "The more I use it, the more I hate it."
I just got a Dell laptop and paid a little extra for XP (home). I was glad it was still available. My other two computers run XP Pro and I don't like change when it comes to something proven.

I have an HP Pavilion DV9000, anytime MS offers a new service pack or other non critical updates, I do a search to see if there are any known problems out there that people are encountering with them. Stinks that you should even have to worry about such a thing. Imagine if MS was a car and was just one of a dozen manufacturers, how many people do you think would by their product then? Considering its problems today, it would be considered the new Edsel!
I would go to a MAC, but there is way too much stuff that I would loose as it only runs in Windows, and what is the point of moving to a MAC if you are just going to run the same problem riddled OS on it that you would on a PC?
Same goes with Linux, I have a full version of Red Hat and while it is ten times better than Windows, there is still too much that would be lost by switching over to it. Think about what would happen if the OS was no longer tied to the computer and there were more choices out there. I could buy a PC and run the MAC OS on it, or vice versa, and poof there goes the MAC. The major selling point to a MAC, if you really pay attention to the commercials and specs, is its OS. Not running Windows is very appealing to many people, but other than that the MAC doesn't have any special features that you couldn't get on a PC.
So I think MAC users should all write MS and thank them for producing such a lousy product LOL.

I've used apples and MAC over the years and owned a MAC from '97 - '00 so switching back would not be an issue for me.

When the time comes, I would buy a MAC if the Vista issues are serious and if I could justify the higher price of the MAC.

well, the way i look at it, the additional $500 is worth it for me seeing that dh has had a mac and there are no viruses so he doesn't have virus software. most viruses are made for pc's. also, i don't have to install all kinds of software for printers, cameras, etc. i bought dh a digital camera for xmas and he plugged the usb in and viola he was uploading pics in a matter of seconds. when i tried it on my dell, it took about an hour to get the software installed and every time i plug the camera in now, it has to search for the software. it's a royal pain in the $%#%$#%$.... oh, and no updates to install that are "required" and when there are security updates, they are automatic and doesn't slow the system down. on top of that, the macs don't have to be replaced every 2-3 years like PCs do. for me, that's worth the extra money

Two or three years?!
I must be lucky then. My oldest Dell is six and all I've done is replace whatever was on it (I think '98) with XP. Still runs like a champ.

I have an HP Pavilion DV9000, anytime MS offers a new service pack or other non critical updates, I do a search to see if there are any known problems out there that people are encountering with them. Stinks that you should even have to worry about such a thing. Imagine if MS was a car and was just one of a dozen manufacturers, how many people do you think would by their product then? Considering its problems today, it would be considered the new Edsel!
I would go to a MAC, but there is way too much stuff that I would loose as it only runs in Windows, and what is the point of moving to a MAC if you are just going to run the same problem riddled OS on it that you would on a PC?
Same goes with Linux, I have a full version of Red Hat and while it is ten times better than Windows, there is still too much that would be lost by switching over to it. Think about what would happen if the OS was no longer tied to the computer and there were more choices out there. I could buy a PC and run the MAC OS on it, or vice versa, and poof there goes the MAC. The major selling point to a MAC, if you really pay attention to the commercials and specs, is its OS. Not running Windows is very appealing to many people, but other than that the MAC doesn't have any special features that you couldn't get on a PC.
So I think MAC users should all write MS and thank them for producing such a lousy product LOL.

you don't have to lose anything if you get the MS bootcamp, because the mac will run that as well...it's just a matter of uploading in windows instead of the mac OS and you still get the same security.

As far as the updates, I took a "required one" about 3 months after i got the brand new Vista and can't take updates since them because there was a fatal flaw in it. basically, i get an error that crashes my pc every time i have to try to get updates now.

ps...dh told me to tell you that mac doesn't phish your information and like watch what you are doing and monitor where you go and what you do like MS does.... he says bill gates doesn't need his info...lol

I've had no problems with mine.

congrats. i got mine right after Vista came out because they said XP wasn't available through Dell anymore and I've had nothing but problems...can't install a printer, can't install a modem...had to get a new web cam because the old one that was only about 6 months old was not compatible... paid 1600 for my laptop through dell and i wish i has spent the 2000 to get the Mac

Two or three years?!
I must be lucky then. My oldest Dell is six and all I've done is replace whatever was on it (I think '98) with XP. Still runs like a champ.

don't go to vista. i have a dell at work that has XP on it and that one is only a couple months old, but the one before that was about 7 years old. however, the hard drive crashed twice and xp had to be reinstalled 3 times in 7 years.

well, the way i look at it, the additional $500 is worth it for me seeing that dh has had a mac and there are no viruses so he doesn't have virus software. most viruses are made for pc's. also, i don't have to install all kinds of software for printers, cameras, etc. i bought dh a digital camera for xmas and he plugged the usb in and viola he was uploading pics in a matter of seconds. when i tried it on my dell, it took about an hour to get the software installed and every time i plug the camera in now, it has to search for the software. it's a royal pain in the $%#%$#%$.... oh, and no updates to install that are "required" and when there are security updates, they are automatic and doesn't slow the system down. on top of that, the macs don't have to be replaced every 2-3 years like PCs do. for me, that's worth the extra money

Who said you have to replace a PC every 2-3 years? I know many people that are running PCs much older than that with no problems at all. Also be wary on the anti-virus issue with MACs. Right now experts say you don't necessarily need it if you are only using at home and have no valuable info on it, but that could change quickly if MAC were ever to increase its market share enough to become a target.
Well, it is now the leading computer used by college students, and that constitutes a target. The MAC is not immune to virus', it is just that it is such a small market share that it hasn't been worth hackers times to come up with virus' and worms against it, yet.
MAC users should be thankful they have a small market share and do not have to deal with everything MS does. I can only imagine what would happen if OSX got hit by even half of what MS gets hit with....

As for installing drivers for peripherals, I have an HP and haven't installed one in years. Don't need em, they just want you to think you do so you will use their software and not some independent companies software. When I want to transfer pics from my digital camera to my computer I just put the media card in its slot on the side of the computer, and the MS wizard pops up and walks me thru transferring the photos. Takes a minute or two from when you put the card in the side to when you are done and take it out, and that is with about 60+ photos transferred.
Same goes with my printer, it is a wireless network printer. I turned it on, my network found it, MS installed the driver without needing the CD, and no manufacturer software was installed. All the programs that I print from have their own software that 'manages' the printer.

you don't have to lose anything if you get the MS bootcamp, because the mac will run that as well...it's just a matter of uploading in windows instead of the mac OS and you still get the same security.

As far as the updates, I took a "required one" about 3 months after i got the brand new Vista and can't take updates since them because there was a fatal flaw in it. basically, i get an error that crashes my pc every time i have to try to get updates now.

ps...dh told me to tell you that mac doesn't phish your information and like watch what you are doing and monitor where you go and what you do like MS does.... he says bill gates doesn't need his info...lol

Again, why run Windows on a MAC? Seems to me it defeats the purpose of having a MAC...

Bill Gates, nor anyone else, phishes any info from me.. that is all voluntary and I do not sign up for it. In addition, my security software blocks anyone from attempting to gather any info from my computer.

I love Vista. No problems here... and I'm not just saying that because Paul works for Microsoft and I work for the company that does the hiring for Microsoft lol. It really is easy to use and we've never had any issues.

Well, like I said above, I paid a little extra to get my new Dell with XP.
I have noooo intention of getting Vista ;)

I was just on their website, they still offer XP and Media Center on all their laptops so you are right, you don't have to get it with Vista. You were smart getting XP instead.

My laptop has XP Pro. My wifes has Vista. I am the "IT" guy in my house so anytime she needs something installed or fixed or figured out then it is my job. The limited time I have played with Vista has been enough to tell me I want nothing to do with it.

My cousin works for Apple and has convinced me that Mac is the way to go. My next computer will absolutely be a Mac book.

Back
Top Bottom