"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I've been winter-supplementing wild animals with bits of food for years; it hasn't harmed them. Deer, birds, (wild turkeys lately), raccoons, squirrels...

I do watch them all closely for signs of rabies.....not a sign of any in 16 years...fingers crossed.

I figure that if I'm going to live close to wild animals, with nature all around, I would like the animals to be healthy, so I do my part to help nurture that, with healthy food. I buy deer feed (molasses-laced oats, alfalfa, etc and black sunflower seeds from a local grain supplier). It's a rather expensive hobby, but I figure we are also helping feed the Dodd brothers and their families, who own the business. They told us that most of their business now is due to bird-feeders rather than farmers, who are a dying breed around here.

In the late fall, I've seen birds feasting on wild cherries which have grown a bit "mulled" and the birds actually seem tipsy from the fermented berries, squawking loudly, flying wildly and erratically.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Was a little frustrating this morning to watch the gray squirrels burying most all the roasted in the shell peanuts that I put out. At least they left the bird seed for the birds.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Head Chef

I was surprised to see a covey of quail eating under my bird feeders last winter.

Glad, too--quail are not as common as they used to be, due to changing farming practices. Guess my overgrown fence rows are good for something!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Senior Cook

justplainbill: you can stop being frustrated if you watch closely and notice that the jays are very good at re-finding what the squirrels have buried. It's a perpetual game of hide-and-seek.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I was surprised to see a covey of quail eating under my bird feeders last winter.

Glad, too--quail are not as common as they used to be, due to changing farming practices. Guess my overgrown fence rows are good for something!
Up until 25 -30 years ago we had quite a few bob whites in my area. That was when the winter human population was about 1,200. The human population has grown to over 4,000 and the quail are gone.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
justplainbill: you can stop being frustrated if you watch closely and notice that the jays are very good at re-finding what the squirrels have buried. It's a perpetual game of hide-and-seek.
This morning the blue jays are pretty much beating the squirrels to the peanuts.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I heard a mockingbird song this morning. For some reason, I don't hear them often around here.

Maybe it's the kooky weather. Winter seems to be a split between warm and cold.

Summers are HOT, but every so often there will be an unexpected cool, almost fall-like day to throw you off, right in the middle of a heat wave.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I heard a mockingbird song this morning. For some reason, I don't hear them often around here.

Maybe it's the kooky weather. Winter seems to be a split between warm and cold.

Summers are HOT, but every so often there will be an unexpected cool, almost fall-like day to throw you off, right in the middle of a heat wave.
Didn't know it ever got COLD in NO.
It's 28 by me and forecasted to go down to 18F tonight.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Didn't know it ever got COLD in NO.
It's 28 by me and forecast to go down to 18F tonight.

Well, I admit, my cold isn't like your cold. I've lived in Connecticut, so I remember your kind of cold.

Now, cold to me is having to wear sweatpants instead of shorts, and socks with my flip-flops.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote