"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Everymom

Winter Ickiness

OK, weird title I know. I just got back from visiting my Doctor once again. Yes, I have another throat thing. I'm on antibiotics AGAIN because I scored a 3/4 on the tests. (I usually like to do well on tests!) ANYWAY, the point is, I have been sick ALL FREAKING WINTER off and on. My Doctor tells me this is a particularly bad year. (Here at least) I am wondering if its different in other regions and why its different. This year the flu arrived early and was particularly virulent. Now there is a strain of something nasty because spring is here. Sheesh.

My thoughts are a bit off the wall. I sort of think that its been such a bad year because a) the germs are nastier now, b) the winter came early and locked us all inside with all these nasty bugs, c) spring is slow starting and there is so much snow to dry up that we are going to have record breaking amounts of snow mold etc.

Whats it like where you live? What do you think its all about?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

Its not been especially bad her in my area or across the stateline where I work.

I do firmly believe that physicians are over prescribing when it comes to antibiotics. I know of many physicians that will routinely order an antibiotic for just cold symptoms. Antibiotics are for bacteria not viral.....but I'm just a nurse so the doc knows best .
Personally, unless I'm coughing up green (gross huh ) and running a fever I let the symptoms ride out and just up my Vit. C intake. I don't want my system to become immune to certain antibiotics ....one that I may potentially seriously need.

Sure hope you feel better soon Alix!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Everymom

(I think the green guck was the deciding factor in this round of antibiotics. Major eww!!) My Doc doesn't prescribe for anything unless she's pretty certain, thank goodness. I agree with you completely Sizz. We have a superbug at large here in AB that is scaring the beejeebees out of us all.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Hey Alix, sorry you've been so sick! I do have one suggestion for you, since you've been on antibiotics and they are so bad for our healthy bacteria, take some probiotics for 2 weeks after you are done. You can order them online or find them in most health food stores.

Hope you feel better soon and SPRING IS ON THE WAY!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm sick too, Alix. WAHHHH! ... the whole nine yards - fever, chills, etc... & I haven't had a cold or flu in over seven years. The only thing(s) I can attribute it to (for me in So. CA), is the wacky winter we've had this year - 85+ w the a/c running for a few days, then rain and the 60s or low 70's (colder at night). The other night I was cold even w my heavy robe & under the blankies, while my face waS hot. The other reason is, it's simply airborne.

Wish you lived close by. We could crawl down to the sauna, lie on the couch in our robes, & drink hot chicken soup. (Maybe Uncle Bob would come over & fix us some Bourbon? I can't smell or taste anything anyway, lol)

This is about day 4 of chicken soup. I hope I've seen the last matzoh ball for a loooong time. I'm giving this bug 24 hours to get out o' my system, because tomorrrow I need to tcb!

I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,
Mish
Old 03-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Hope you feel better soon too Mish!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Hope you feel better soon too Mish!
Thank you, Sizz.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Alix...

Do ya mind if I ask what the Doctor is prescribing to you???

(Yes Miss Mish..I will provide the bourbon at the Sauna party..Not to worry I have some stuff that will clear your sinuses..your taste buds and olfactories will return)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Sorry you guys haven't been feeling that well. This winter, though mild by you Northerners, has been kinda rough on our 6 month old. For us Texans, it was actually cold more than it was warm, which is not the norm. But it seems to be getting back to its usual warm self. I still am hoping y'all will be getting better soon!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

I just got an email from my son in Denver and he said that he has just gotten over being sick again. He has been doing this all winter. He blames it on were he works. Someone is always sick and passes it around. I told him that about the only thing you can do is wash your hands a lot.