Winter Ickiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, weird title I know. I just got back from visiting my Doctor once again. Yes, I have another throat thing. I'm on antibiotics AGAIN because I scored a 3/4 on the tests. (I usually like to do well on tests!) ANYWAY, the point is, I have been sick ALL FREAKING WINTER off and on. My Doctor tells me this is a particularly bad year. (Here at least) I am wondering if its different in other regions and why its different. This year the flu arrived early and was particularly virulent. Now there is a strain of something nasty because spring is here. Sheesh.

My thoughts are a bit off the wall. I sort of think that its been such a bad year because a) the germs are nastier now, b) the winter came early and locked us all inside with all these nasty bugs, c) spring is slow starting and there is so much snow to dry up that we are going to have record breaking amounts of snow mold etc.

Whats it like where you live? What do you think its all about?

Its not been especially bad her in my area or across the stateline where I work.

I do firmly believe that physicians are over prescribing when it comes to antibiotics. I know of many physicians that will routinely order an antibiotic for just cold symptoms. Antibiotics are for bacteria not viral.....but I'm just a nurse so the doc knows best ;) .
Personally, unless I'm coughing up green (gross huh ;) ) and running a fever I let the symptoms ride out and just up my Vit. C intake. I don't want my system to become immune to certain antibiotics ....one that I may potentially seriously need.

Sure hope you feel better soon Alix!

(I think the green guck was the deciding factor in this round of antibiotics. Major eww!!) My Doc doesn't prescribe for anything unless she's pretty certain, thank goodness. I agree with you completely Sizz. We have a superbug at large here in AB that is scaring the beejeebees out of us all.

Hey Alix, sorry you've been so sick! I do have one suggestion for you, since you've been on antibiotics and they are so bad for our healthy bacteria, take some probiotics for 2 weeks after you are done. You can order them online or find them in most health food stores.

Hope you feel better soon and SPRING IS ON THE WAY!!!!

I'm sick too, Alix. WAHHHH! ... the whole nine yards - fever, chills, etc... & I haven't had a cold or flu in over seven years. The only thing(s) I can attribute it to (for me in So. CA), is the wacky winter we've had this year - 85+ w the a/c running for a few days, then rain and the 60s or low 70's (colder at night). The other night I was cold even w my heavy robe & under the blankies, while my face waS hot. The other reason is, it's simply airborne.

Wish you lived close by. We could crawl down to the sauna, lie on the couch in our robes, & drink hot chicken soup. (Maybe Uncle Bob would come over & fix us some Bourbon? I can't smell or taste anything anyway, lol)

This is about day 4 of chicken soup. I hope I've seen the last matzoh ball for a loooong time. I'm giving this bug 24 hours to get out o' my system, because tomorrrow I need to tcb!

I hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

Hugs,
Mish

Last edited:
Miss Alix...

Do ya mind if I ask what the Doctor is prescribing to you???

(Yes Miss Mish..I will provide the bourbon at the Sauna party..Not to worry I have some stuff that will clear your sinuses..your taste buds and olfactories will return)

Sorry you guys haven't been feeling that well. This winter, though mild by you Northerners, has been kinda rough on our 6 month old. For us Texans, it was actually cold more than it was warm, which is not the norm. But it seems to be getting back to its usual warm self. I still am hoping y'all will be getting better soon!

I just got an email from my son in Denver and he said that he has just gotten over being sick again. He has been doing this all winter. He blames it on were he works. Someone is always sick and passes it around. I told him that about the only thing you can do is wash your hands a lot.

Mish and Alix, I hope you're better soon. It's the same here in the NE. We've had a relatively mild winter and theyr'e saying that that is part of the reason--not enough deep cold to kill off some of the nasties. I totally agree with Sizz's opinion on the over-use on antibiotics, too!

To make matters worse, at least around here, they're calling for one of the worst spring allergy seasons in history, again because it's been pretty mild overall so all of the mold and such has just been growing and growing and growing. Ugh!:ohmy: :(

Sorry your feeling so badly Alix. I havent had a cold all winter, just a dry throat from time to time because of the lack of humidity. The snow is nearly gone here, and so with all the wetness, I tend to get sinus headaches because of the mold spores, as well as asthma attacks. I can live with it though, especially since the weather is finally getting so warm (50 degrees F tomorrow!) Yea I know that seems cold to some of you ;)

Thanks for the get well wishes & karma. You guys are the best. (Uncle Bob you're a good sport :) )

mish said:
Thanks for the get well wishes & karma. You guys are the best. (Uncle Bob you're a good sport :) )
Mish,
keep taking that robatussin and if the cough is really bad and is hanging on like mine will when I'm sick,try some chest congestion relief. I use Sunmark brand. It's an expectorant that helps loosen phlegm and will thin bronchial secretions to rid the bronchial passageways of mucus. It's just an OTC and any pharmacy has it. But it really helps.Stay warm, drink lots of water that also help loosen things up, and rest.
Hope you're feeling better in a day or two. This bug is really nasty so take care of yourself.

kadesma

Hello to everyone and sorry there has been so much sickness. I've been ok, but my poor mom has been quite sick for several weeks. I've been going back and forth so many times I've lost count. My sister and I are going Wednesday morning and take mom to a new doctor and see if we can get better results. We will probably be with her for several days. I've missed everyone, but had no puter time lately. Maybe right after allergy season everyone will be well again.:)

Thanks all. Mish, I would LOVE to come sauna with you, that sounds heavenly. And I'm all over the chicken soup thing, but any bourbon will have to wait til I'm done with all my drugs. I really HATE being on drugs, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Uncle Bob, I'm one of those weird individuals who is allergic to a LOT of antibiotics so there is a limited spectrum to choose from. I am on clindamycin 300mg. I also have codeine for the pain if I need it. I'm trying to avoid pain killers as per YT suggestion that I heat those little bugs up and kill them that way. My Dr concurs with this and is hopeful we can kill all the beasties soon. So, my two pronged approach is the drugs and the heating up my body on the off chance this is viral not bacterial. I'm thinking it IS bacterial though because I am noticing a very slight improvement today over yesterday.

So back to my original question. It seems that the cold/flu/whatever stuff that has been so prevalent here is not really so prevalent elsewhere. That seems to support my early winter, long winter being shut in as being a major cause in all this.

I've just done the wipe down of all the light switches, doorknobs, phones etc around here. Anything I routinely touch is getting wiped down. I can't wait for a warm day so I can open all the windows and air the house out.

Edit: Redkitty was it you that suggested the probiotics? I'm eating yogurt with probiotic culture, is that sufficient or is there something else I should be looking for?

Alix, I would think what you are taking is good. I usually try to eat some yogurt daily to keep the good buggers in my system. I would not know when the antibiotics would wear off and the friendly bacteria could take over, so I would keep a steady supply in your gut.

bethzaring said:
Alix, I would think what you are taking is good. I usually try to eat some yogurt daily to keep the good buggers in my system. I would not know when the antibiotics would wear off and the friendly bacteria could take over, so I would keep a steady supply in your gut.

My thoughts exactly bethzaring. Its not like its a hardship to eat yogurt. LOL.

Alix said:
My thoughts exactly bethzaring. Its not like its a hardship to eat yogurt. LOL.
Alix,
DH isn't home or I'd ask but, be careful what you take when on anti-biotics..You don't want to reduce the effectivness of the med nor cause some sort of reaction to them..I'd check with the doctors office before taking or adding anything..It's hard I know to suffer through illness, but you have to make sure the meds can do what they are supposed to do. Also, some stay in your system up to 10 days after the last dose..Be cautious..Get well:)

kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom