Wireless Computer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of curiosity, is there any cell phones ringing or cordless phones in the house near the wireless router OR better yet, a microwave?
Nope, nope and nope. The modem and router sit close together in a bookcase on the second floor balcony that overlooks the 'Great Room' (right behind the ceiling fan in this picture).

Attachments

• Living Room 2.jpg
    Living Room 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 191
Oh ok good because the frequencies from either of those objects will cause interference.

we did it as a lab setup in our wireless networking class.

The router probably has a short in it caused by old age and or moisture in the air and or being dropped kicked across the room.

if you can afford a new one go and try that and if there are still the same problems then we need to figure out what is really going on.

Possibly could be the antennas in the laptops/PC's

We have three notebooks... so I don't think they'd all be affected at the same time. I use mine at work, where it works fine. I don't think it's our computers.

I don't remember drop kicking the router (but it has crossed my mind) and humidity is pretty much a non issue here in Vegas. We have noticed that our connection seems to be more stable in the morning and wondered if it could be a HEAT issue as it seems to destabilize as the day gets a little warmer.

We have three notebooks... so I don't think they'd all be affected at the same time. I use mine at work, where it works fine. I don't think it's our computers.

I don't remember drop kicking the router (but it has crossed my mind) and humidity is pretty much a non issue here in Vegas. We have noticed that our connection seems to be more stable in the morning and wondered if it could be a HEAT issue as it seems to destabilize as the day gets a little warmer.

nah, im not to worried about the heat as it is inside rather than out. Hmm, something around your house such as a business may have something new that is interfering with it since you say this is a issue that has only been happening a short time.

almost sounds like something is causing interference but what. YT, if he is still at these forums may be able to answer if heat causes degradation of RF waves.

How hot is it in your house near the router?
Is your wireless secure?

install netstumbler and see how many wireless networks are around you?

I didn't think it was the heat, either. We like to keep the house warm, but I don't think it would be enough to effect the router. We keep the house at a fairly constant 87-88 degrees F.

Our wireless network is encrypted and password protected.

I'm reluctant to install another program to view wireless networks... isn't that what the Wireless Network Connection window does?

LT you seem to be on the ball with this one. I was just wondering if setting static IPs on all the computers would fix the issue. I have 3 wireless computers and the printer (set wireless as well) all set with static IPs on a secure network. Havent had any problems ever. I dont think this would be a problem but maybe the DHCPs are conflciting.

:)Since we are on the subject. How do I configure my wireless so my neighbor can get on but no one else can. I'm thinking someone else is getting on that I don't know about although not sure.

There are complete instructions on LT's website, JP - the link is on his sig line. He's even included pictures of each step! I'm just wondering if it can be adapted to improve cell phone reception in my house with the metal roof. But hey, it might be just the thing for your situation!

I didn't think it was the heat, either. We like to keep the house warm, but I don't think it would be enough to effect the router. We keep the house at a fairly constant 87-88 degrees F.

Our wireless network is encrypted and password protected.

I'm reluctant to install another program to view wireless networks... isn't that what the Wireless Network Connection window does?

Get yourself a new router and an antenna booster (unless LT wants to build you one, LOL). Build a box with a temp sensitive fan on it and filter, then put the modem and router in the box and the antenna outside the box.
Even temps of 90 degrees on a regular basis can be too much for some sensitive electronics.
Also, hot air rises, so the temp on the first floor might be 88 but what is it on the second floor midday? Get a temp gauge and place it next to where your electronics are on the balcony and monitor it for a day and see if it rises above 90.

z, my guesstimation would be one of two things.

you might not be connecting to your own router. sometimes, your system connects to another router in the area, even though it's telling you that you are connected to your own. then, the other router kicks you out occasionally, especially under heavier use. try going into your system tray icon for the wireless router configs, and reconnecting manually to your router. if that works, try to see if there's a setting for default router, or being able to connect to only 1 router.
you might have to uninstall/reinstall the software on your computer and/or set up the security on your router again.

the other thing might be interference, but that would depend on something transmitting a fairly strong signal in your area.

hth.

:) LT we want instuctions. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

my signiture has my website that also has the tutorials for wireless security and a few antennas.
The security notes are for enterprise systems. BUT they will work for home networks..

EDIT

what the new editing screen, any way. the pics are missing in the tutorial because webshots image hosting service was shutdown so i will fix soon. possibly today after the funeral.

LT you seem to be on the ball with this one. I was just wondering if setting static IPs on all the computers would fix the issue. I have 3 wireless computers and the printer (set wireless as well) all set with static IPs on a secure network. Havent had any problems ever. I dont think this would be a problem but maybe the DHCPs are conflciting.

Very good idea, DHCP can cause issues and become flacky. DHCP is the one thing that can cause a routing table to get all screwed up. Plus if you have it set to static, others cant get an IP from the router. If they are an actual attacker then it doesnt matter they can change there ip to fit subnetting scheme.

If you can change from WEP encryption to WPA. I can break a 128 bit WEP key in less than 2 minutes, spoof my MAC address and gain control of some ones wireless. BUT i learned my lesson from that. Stealing data is not a good idea.

My friends and i are building a "Network Neighborhood" if you will, with those big antennas. We have the network secured and i am the only one with the keys and passwords. I give them to my friends and they can connect to my network and we share info securely.

z, my guesstimation would be one of two things.

you might not be connecting to your own router. sometimes, your system connects to another router in the area, even though it's telling you that you are connected to your own. then, the other router kicks you out occasionally, especially under heavier use. try going into your system tray icon for the wireless router configs, and reconnecting manually to your router. if that works, try to see if there's a setting for default router, or being able to connect to only 1 router.
you might have to uninstall/reinstall the software on your computer and/or set up the security on your router again.

the other thing might be interference, but that would depend on something transmitting a fairly strong signal in your area.

hth.

Thats right. everything above is another thing to look out for. MAKE SURE your default SSID, password and username for the router are changed to something unique, because if you keep the SSID as Linksys and the username and pass as admin admin. You can literally change and gain control of a wireless network for miles. It happened to my friend. He left his as all defaults and one day he wanted to change it, well every one in a 2 block square radius had the same default SSID, user and pass. When he changed his, the router sent out the beacons that contain the new changes to the IP of 192.168.1.1/24 and to the SSID of linksys. yeah he changed every router in that 2 block radius to the new SSID and new passwords he wanted. Now he has control of all the routers in that area..

:)Since we are on the subject. How do I configure my wireless so my neighbor can get on but no one else can. I'm thinking someone else is getting on that I don't know about although not sure.
Bumping, also I installed the network stumbler will it tell me if some one is getting on my router? It's a bit complicated for me to understand. It dos show me on it but nothing else at this time.

Bumping, also I installed the network stumbler will it tell me if some one is getting on my router? It's a bit complicated for me to understand. It dos show me on it but nothing else at this time.

Net stumbler is a program that reads and detects near by wireless devices, be it a router or a an Access Point. It will show you if it is encrypted and what the MAC address is along with the actual SSID. Also based on the signal strength it receives from the wireless devices, you can find where devices are hidden or mounted at.

I have not used it for a while so i have to remember if its that program or another one that tells you all the users on your network. i know there is a way because i have done it, i just need to remember how. I think your home router and AP's can tell you who is logged on.

Yes i can tell you how to configure your friends PC so it can connect to your network. It will be exactly like configuring your laptop/PC to connect. As long as they are in range and can see your network SSID displayed in there task manager, they will have the option to connect. If yours is secured then you need to go over there and type in the network key FOR them, do not give it to them because they might give it out. once they have they WEP key typed in, then they should be able to connect.

If they are out of range, then thats when my antenna comes in handy. You have to buy a special cable called a reverse gender mcia (i think) that will connect to the router. Then you point the antenna in the direction of your router and BOOM, it should pick it up. You can also buy antennas for very cheap off of the internet OR you can make one out of a pringles can BUT it requires that special cable. If you really wanna get fancy, take an old school parabolic antenna like from dish network and find the focal point and place a USB wifi adapter there.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

or you can make one of these. this is what i made for my final
complete2.jpg

its a biquad antenna. it was not fun to make. very hard

ok i see what you are saying. i read the other quote so i didnt get what you meant. Now that i read your actual post, i know what you mean.

i will post asap. i have to leave now for the funeral so i will try to type later. If someone else know how to setup wireless security using WEP or WPA, Let JPM know.

any wya ill post later. hopefully i remember. If not, shoot me a PM

Any chance someone is hacking into or "borrowing" your network? When my Chinese exchange student first came we let him use our wireless but he was always running file sharing websites and downloading movies. It kept making our internet crash and planted a few viruses in our system. We kicked him off straightway and make him use the ethernet cable. For you, if a neighbor or someone is using your system it could be slowing you down or causing crashes.

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. I think I have a couple of things going on. First of all. The cable that goes into the modem is old and travels a great distance across baseboards and around doorways to get to this central location. I believe I'll connect the setup more directly (within a couple feet of the cable outlet) first and see if that helps.

If not, I believe I'll just get a new router to see if that makes a difference.

Creativity points go to the suggestion to build a box with a thermostatically-controlled cooling fan :LOL: . That almost sounds like work to me!

Back
Top Bottom