"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Rebooting is always a good first step. If you call your ISP that is generally the very first thing they will have you try. I would recommend calling them. Part of what you are paying them for is to troubleshoot this sort of stuff anyway.
One reason I dropped my cable internet was because they didn't troubleshoot the wireless, only the land. It was ridiculous, Windstream is the same way. They only support the router from the wall to the box. After that, call Geek Squad is about the best they give you. We don't have great customer service, that's why I switched to BlackBerrys and it's 1/3 the cost of either cable or Windstream.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

A few years back when I didn't have the internet at home I used to just log onto my neighbor's unsecured wireless signal.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ I used to do that. A few years back when I didn't have the internet at home I used to just log onto my neighbor's unsecured wireless signal.
No, my neighbor doesn't have wireless. My router is still plugged in and my computer connects the to Linksys that's still plugged in to the router. My computer only recognizes that it's connecting to the Linksys, not that the Linksys connects to an actual network. I would never tap into someone else's signal, that's stealing.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
A few years back when I didn't have the internet at home I used to just log onto my neighbor's unsecured wireless signal.
That's what I do when mine isn't working. At least HIS seems to be stable and reliable. I guess that's the frustrating part.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I would never tap into someone else's signal, that's stealing.
Yes, I hear that all the time....
Old 08-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

When you say intermentint do you mean it works but slowly or no go at all?

Most likely a new router will need to be bought, either that, or completly clear the routing tables in the linksys.

So it syas you have good signal but you cant connect or connect but its slow?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, I hear that all the time....
i can do it from 12 miles away with this antenna i made.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
When you say intermentint do you mean it works but slowly or no go at all?

Most likely a new router will need to be bought, either that, or completly clear the routing tables in the linksys.

So it syas you have good signal but you cant connect or connect but its slow?
When it works, it's fast. No problem with speed. Either I'm on or I'm off.

How do you "completely clear the routing tables in the linksys"?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Rebooting is always a good first step. If you call your ISP that is generally the very first thing they will have you try. I would recommend calling them. Part of what you are paying them for is to troubleshoot this sort of stuff anyway.
The very first thing Verizon will tell you to do is bypass the router and go directly to the PC. I never find the problem to be with their modem, it is always with the router. And of course calling Linksys will get you nowhere because after a reboot you are working fine again.
Nobody seems to want to find the problem and fix it permanently, rather just get you up and running as quickly as possible then tell you to call back if it happens again.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post
When it works, it's fast. No problem with speed. Either I'm on or I'm off.

How do you "completely clear the routing tables in the linksys"?
Usually when you do the power cycles it will remove them. For example, you turn off PC, router and then modem, then you turn on modem, router and then PC. If done in the wrong order, it messes things up because the router has to pull all the information from your ISP off of the modem. If the router is started first, it cant pull anything off from the mdem and when the modem is started second, the modem pulls the info off of the router rather than from the ISP's giant router. that will cause the routing tables in the modem and router to mix them selves up because the modem thinks the router is the ISP info when it is not so it gets the same info from the router twice and then it causes all hell to break lose.....

If you know how to log into your router, there should be a way to clear the tables if not. i will think of a way...

Out of curiosity, is there any cell phones ringing or cordless phones in the house near the wireless router OR better yet, a microwave?