"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Head Chef

Wireless Computer Question

We have a wireless router connected to our cable modem so we can enjoy wireless Internet in our home. Our ability to connect to the Internet has been intermittent for some time, however. When we check the Wireless Connection Status, the computer shows that we're connected and that we have a strong signal strength, yet we can't access the Internet.

Does anyone know what the most likely cause might be? I'm thinking it's probably the wireless router. It's a fairly basic Lyncsys that we've had for about 4-5 years... How often do these need to be replaced?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Have you tried to reboot your modem and router?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Yeah. Unplug the router and modem, turn off your PC. Turn the modem on, wait a minute then turn on the router. Then the PC.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Head Chef

Yes... I have tried that. Sometimes it holds up for a while, but the problem inevitably returns fairly shortly.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post
Does anyone know what the most likely cause might be? I'm thinking it's probably the wireless router. It's a fairly basic Lyncsys that we've had for about 4-5 years... How often do these need to be replaced?
4-5 years is a looooooooong time in computer-speak. Probably time for a new one.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I had that problem even with my hard wired router for six years.... it needed rebooted at least once a month. Now I've had that the same problem twice since I got my wireless a couple months ago, but I do experience power flickers here once in a while. Not enough the clocks need reset, but you can see the lights flicker for just a bit.
I'm thinking routers are fairly sensitive, but I could be totally offbase.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I've had my cable modem and wireless router for at least 6 years and it is still working... The problem can be in a number of places, which makes it difficult to narrow down. The next time it happens, see if you can access the router (usually 192.168.1.1 for linksys, it needs to be prefaced with http:// but I can't post URLs yet since I'm a newbie) wirelessly. If you can, try hooking your computer directly to the router with a network cable. Also try plugging your computer directly into the cable modem. If you have more than one computer, or a neighbor with a laptop, have them come over and try it. This should help narrow down the suspects.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I had a Netgear wireless router for a year or two. It started out that I had to reboot about once every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Then my techie neighbor came over and did stuff. It worked great and I never had to reboot.

The Netgear router got fried by lightening and I bought a US Robotics router with a printer printer port and it works well. The difficulties Z describes seem to occur sporadically for me and I'm beginning to wonder if it's related to the ISP and the quality of the signal coming into the cable modem. The roboot process seems to work well for me.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Rebooting is always a good first step. If you call your ISP that is generally the very first thing they will have you try. I would recommend calling them. Part of what you are paying them for is to troubleshoot this sort of stuff anyway.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have no internet service in my house what so ever but when I open my lap top I am "connected to the router with a strong signal." It's about the computer connecting to the router, not the router connecting to the internet.