Wisdom Teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Today I join the ranks of those who have had 4 very hard-to-get-to teeth yanked out of their face. The surgery was about 9 hours ago, and so far it isn't too bad, just a pretty constant uncomfortable pressure.

I'll be on a liquid diet for a few days, and I'm both excited and afraid, because I've never had to eat just liquid foods for such a long time. My staple is going to be smoothies, and for those I managed to score some fresh mangos and prickly pears, on sale no less! I'm breaking down these fruit, trying to beat the 12-hour after surgery mark, when the doc said the affects of teh anesthesia will fully wear off and the pain will get increasingly worse for the next 2 days. My fiance' is shaking her head, wondering WTH I am doing up cooking right now, but I know she wouldn't have a clue how to tackle a mango, much much less a prickly pear.

I was sorta wondering what you all ate when you had your teeth pulled. One of the nurses recommended mac and cheese for dinner tonight, which I was very surprised to hear. Seems like it would be much too solid to get down easily. I'll think about doing that, but in the mean time I'm down to smoothies, pudding, jello, and soup. After that, I'm stumped, and also fairly certain I'll be craving something a little more substantial.

I'd love to hear all of your ideas, as well as your wisdom teeth stories if you have them. I'll be stuck sitting around the house for a few days, so the more reading material, the better!

Mac and cheese isn't a bad idea cause its smooth and soft, easy to get out of the sockets if you need to. I don't really remember what I ate as I was 18 and that was a while ago. I just remember how bad my breath was when the suture that was in 1 socket started getting nasty from the food a week or so later. I ended up taking it out myself lol. The smoothy idea is a great idea. Just make sure you don't use anything like strawberries or raspberries with the tiny seeds that could get all stuck. :doh:

If you loved mashed potatoes and gravy as much as I do, you wouldn't have to ask that question! :LOL: Seriously, macaroni and cheese would probably be soft enough. You might want to cook the macaroni just a tiny bit more than normal to soften it a little more (but not so soft that it doesn't taste right). If you want a vegetable, asparagus and peas (canned anyway) are pretty soft, as well as spinach.

Whatever you eat, just take it easy--take small bites and try to avoid letting the food get into that area.

:)Barbara

Oh ya, and I'm sure they told you this, but don't be sucking down your smoothies with a straw. Dry socket is not fun.

dry socket

Oh ya, and I'm sure they told you this, but don't be sucking down your smoothies with a straw. Dry socket is not fun.

dry socket are **** on earth. had mine out thirty years ago, and remember how awful it was.

if u do have them or just plain old light bleeding, wet a tea bag and put on socket, hold as long as u can. and do it over if u have too.

have no clue what i ate, i seem to remember liquids. all taste the same, yucky .
so just hang on and it will soon be over.

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

You can make whatever soup you want - just pulse in a food processor. One of my favs was potato soup. I also had mushroom soup and just used by stick blender to break up the big pieces of mushrooms.

Yes, like others have said DO NOT USE A STRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat your smoothies with a small spoon.

Also, make some rice (cook with chicken broth) and then you can add some cream of mushroom soup to it or just add more chicken broth to make it soupy. Again, pulse in a food processor to blend the rice into something you can swallow without chewing.

soup, but not too hot...tomato, split pea, anything pureed.

jello, cottage cheese, yougurt, smoothies for sure, milk shakes, way overcooked pasta, wheatabix cerial (turns to mush) pudding, scrambled eggs, omlettes, oatmeal (rolled oats) cream of wheat. Lots of good stuff out there!

I guess I'm lucky. An Air Force dentist recognised that I'd need mine pulled when I was in my early 20s. That means 30 years ago. They came out so easily that he fell on his fanny. He was expecting it to be a problem. Then he gave me some serious pain meds, which my ex-husband stole for recreational purposes. Luckily I have a large tolerance for pain. It didn't hurt at all. So now you know, it doesn't have to be such a terrible experience (besides the doctor, I'm sure his butt hurt for a few days!).

I`m in my 40`s and still have all of mine, I`m also VERY grateful for this fact too, as I`ve lost quite a few molars and these give me back some Much needed chewing surfaces.

so Wisdom teeth aren`t Always a bad thing ;)

My wisdom teeth were so impacted they were coming out backwards! Well, maybe they weren't that bad, but they all came out without incident. It's not too bad.

I did have a supernumerous (medical jargon for "extra") canine tooth growing somewhere up in my jaw that had to be removed. Now the surgeon didn't knock me out for that operation. Let me tell you, I would've rather slept through the whole thing!

I guess I'm lucky. An Air Force dentist recognised that I'd need mine pulled when I was in my early 20s. That means 30 years ago. They came out so easily that he fell on his fanny. He was expecting it to be a problem. Then he gave me some serious pain meds, which my ex-husband stole for recreational purposes. Luckily I have a large tolerance for pain. It didn't hurt at all. So now you know, it doesn't have to be such a terrible experience (besides the doctor, I'm sure his butt hurt for a few days!).

I'm in your camp Claire. After mine were pulled I took a nap and woke up and ate chicken. My mom couldn't believe it - virtually no pain and I was HUNGRY! I feel for those who go through alot of pain. Maybe oatmeal, puddings, jello, mashed potatoes, soup, ice cream.

I'm lucky enough to have all of my teeth (wisdoms included). My sister was not so lucky. When she was around 17 she had to have all 4 of her wisdom teeth pulled because they were growing sideways into her jaw bone. I remember her eating a whole lot of soup and applesauce.

I have (had) 4 extra teeth in my mouth... so my wisdom teeth were so far back that it was hard to proprely care for them, so basically they started to rot. I still have one extra tooth above one of my teeth, I guess God wanted to make sure I had plenty of extras! LOL!

LOL We knew one person who had a tooth way back under her tongue, a man who had two perfect rows of teeth (I think top and bottom but maybe just top), and we know one woman who still has all her baby teeth.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom