"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

With July 4th Just Around The Corner?

Buonasera, Ladies and Gentlemen,

With July 4th just around the corner, has anyone given some serious thought to their Lunch Menu ? Wine List ? Beer List ? Punch List ? Sparkling Wine List ?

Due to the fact, that we do not live in the USA, and we have distinct product availability on top of living in a city centre Loft, thus, no BBQ, we shall have to celebrate it on the Sunday before ...

Furthermore, I shall be leaving for Bari, Puglia that week too ... The Vet shall be travelling over to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina for professional business, then return to Madrid, and thus, relax a couple of days, and head over to Bari, Puglia ...

This lunch shall be a bit of a Bon Voyage and thus very special. I am thinking of:

Lion of Sweet Spiced Pork: fennel seeds, Evoo, Vin Santo or Tuscan Moscatel, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Bay Leaf ... of course, onion, celery, carrot, home made Beef stock, black and white peppercorns freshly grinded, salt, butter and the herbs shall be fresh ...

The first plate shall be a traditional Italian bread soup with Basil, Langoustines ( large shrimp ), and tomato ...

The other alternatives are: Prime Sirlion with Lobster, a surf and turf ... and thus an Italian style Salad with rocket or arugula as it is known here, and radicchio ... Evoo and Balsamic Modena Vinegar ...

I have not decided yet ... Would like a Pork or Beef Roast, so we have some leftovers, for sandwiches as we have a busy week ahead.

Any viewpoints for this special occasion ?

Kind regards,
Margi

Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We haven't really given much thought to what we'll have or where we'll be on July 4th. It'll most likely be just the two of us and, if the weather's nice, we may be out on the motorcycle going...who knows where.

It seems quite far off but, looking at the calendar, it's really just around the corner. The summer is definitely going by in a flash.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Buonasera Katie H.,

Time does have a way of flying, doesn´t it ?

It is already just 3 weeks away, and with both of us travelling that week too, we had briefly discussed it over lunch today ... We are quite organised and prioritize and thus, plan ahead ... We are busy professionals and it is the only way, not to stress out ... I dislike last minute hurries ... I like to do things detailed oriented carefully and slowly like in slow cooking ... this way no mishaps ...

Yes, summer always races by us, and then, it is back to The Eastern Clock as I call it, 1 hour earlier ...

Here´s wishing you a Happy July 4th, just incase I do not have the time to do so.

Kindest,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

As usual, we'll be BBQing, while dodging gator gushers and palmetto pounders.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We will be attending Mrs Hoot's family reunion in the very western end of Maryland, just a hop, skip, and a jump from WV. Last year was the first time I had accompanied her to it in a couple of years. Looking forward to it. Beautiful scenery, great folks, and.....I am gonna have another opportunity to stop at Pickle Bob's Ice Cream shop on the way there!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Craig C. : Thanks for your post and I am sure your BBQ shall be marvelous. Enjoy and have a wonderful 4th July.

Hoot: Sounds like a lovely trip ... Have a great time and Happy 4th.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We will be attending Mrs Hoot's family reunion in the very western end of Maryland, just a hop, skip, and a jump from WV. Last year was the first time I had accompanied her to it in a couple of years. Looking forward to it. Beautiful scenery, great folks, and.....I am gonna have another opportunity to stop at Pickle Bob's Ice Cream shop on the way there!
Don't forget the steamed crabs and pickled onions!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Oh, Hoot, that's such a beautiful area. Will you be anywhere near Deep Creek Lake?

My late husband, Buck, and I vacationed there often and were captivated by the place. One year we rented a lovely log home/cabin on Toothpick Road. Everything was so cool, lush and green. The night sounds were awesome. I'd love to stowaway in your bags to visit there with you.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, Hoot, that's such a beautiful area. Will you be anywhere near Deep Creek Lake?

My late husband, Buck, and I vacationed there often and were captivated by the place. One year we rented a lovely log home/cabin on Toothpick Road. Everything was so cool, lush and green. The night sounds were awesome. I'd love to stowaway in your bags to visit there with you.
We will be about 30 miles or so from Deep Creek Lake, in the Lonaconing/Westernport area. Mrs Hoot was born in Keyser, WV which is just down the road a piece. They hold the reunion at Dan's Mountain State Park. It is, as you say, Ms Katie, beautiful country.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Don't forget the steamed crabs and pickled onions!
You ain't kiddin'!!! I love steamed crabs...the only trouble is that you can dang near starve to death right while you are eatin' 'em. But they are mighty good!