With July 4th Just Around The Corner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:yum: Buonasera, Ladies and Gentlemen,

With July 4th just around the corner, has anyone given some serious thought to their Lunch Menu ? Wine List ? Beer List ? Punch List ? Sparkling Wine List ?

Due to the fact, that we do not live in the USA, and we have distinct product availability on top of living in a city centre Loft, thus, no BBQ, we shall have to celebrate it on the Sunday before ...

Furthermore, I shall be leaving for Bari, Puglia that week too ... The Vet shall be travelling over to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina for professional business, then return to Madrid, and thus, relax a couple of days, and head over to Bari, Puglia ...

:cool: This lunch shall be a bit of a Bon Voyage and thus very special. I am thinking of:

:yum: Lion of Sweet Spiced Pork: fennel seeds, Evoo, Vin Santo or Tuscan Moscatel, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Bay Leaf ... of course, onion, celery, carrot, home made Beef stock, black and white peppercorns freshly grinded, salt, butter and the herbs shall be fresh ...

The first plate shall be a traditional Italian bread soup with Basil, Langoustines ( large shrimp ), and tomato ...

The other alternatives are: Prime Sirlion with Lobster, a surf and turf ... and thus an Italian style Salad with rocket or arugula as it is known here, and radicchio ... Evoo and Balsamic Modena Vinegar ...

:chef: I have not decided yet ... Would like a Pork or Beef Roast, so we have some leftovers, for sandwiches as we have a busy week ahead.

:yum: Any viewpoints for this special occasion ?

Kind regards,
Margi

We haven't really given much thought to what we'll have or where we'll be on July 4th. It'll most likely be just the two of us and, if the weather's nice, we may be out on the motorcycle going...who knows where.

It seems quite far off but, looking at the calendar, it's really just around the corner. The summer is definitely going by in a flash.

Buonasera Katie H.,

Time does have a way of flying, doesn´t it ?

It is already just 3 weeks away, and with both of us travelling that week too, we had briefly discussed it over lunch today ... We are quite organised and prioritize and thus, plan ahead ... We are busy professionals and it is the only way, not to stress out ... I dislike last minute hurries ... I like to do things detailed oriented carefully and slowly like in slow cooking ... this way no mishaps ...

Yes, summer always races by us, and then, it is back to The Eastern Clock as I call it, 1 hour earlier ...

Here´s wishing you a Happy July 4th, just incase I do not have the time to do so.

Kindest,
Ciao, Margi.

As usual, we'll be BBQing, while dodging gator gushers and palmetto pounders.

We will be attending Mrs Hoot's family reunion in the very western end of Maryland, just a hop, skip, and a jump from WV. Last year was the first time I had accompanied her to it in a couple of years. Looking forward to it. Beautiful scenery, great folks, and.....I am gonna have another opportunity to stop at Pickle Bob's Ice Cream shop on the way there!

Craig C. : Thanks for your post and I am sure your BBQ shall be marvelous. Enjoy and have a wonderful 4th July.

Hoot: Sounds like a lovely trip ... Have a great time and Happy 4th.

Kind regards.
Margi.

We will be attending Mrs Hoot's family reunion in the very western end of Maryland, just a hop, skip, and a jump from WV. Last year was the first time I had accompanied her to it in a couple of years. Looking forward to it. Beautiful scenery, great folks, and.....I am gonna have another opportunity to stop at Pickle Bob's Ice Cream shop on the way there!

Don't forget the steamed crabs and pickled onions!:LOL:

Oh, Hoot, that's such a beautiful area. Will you be anywhere near Deep Creek Lake?

My late husband, Buck, and I vacationed there often and were captivated by the place. One year we rented a lovely log home/cabin on Toothpick Road. Everything was so cool, lush and green. The night sounds were awesome. I'd love to stowaway in your bags to visit there with you.

Oh, Hoot, that's such a beautiful area. Will you be anywhere near Deep Creek Lake?

My late husband, Buck, and I vacationed there often and were captivated by the place. One year we rented a lovely log home/cabin on Toothpick Road. Everything was so cool, lush and green. The night sounds were awesome. I'd love to stowaway in your bags to visit there with you.

We will be about 30 miles or so from Deep Creek Lake, in the Lonaconing/Westernport area. Mrs Hoot was born in Keyser, WV which is just down the road a piece. They hold the reunion at Dan's Mountain State Park. It is, as you say, Ms Katie, beautiful country.

July 4th is my birthday. My sister usually cooks for my elderly parents and me. I think she is finally convinced that I want traditional BBQ pork steaks & mustard potato salad like we made as kids. No fancy rubs on the meat or dill in the potatoes. She can get fancy with anything else she wants to fix, just give me those two cooked homestyle.

I'm hoping that we will have new potatoes for a potato salad on Canada Day (July 1). Other than that, I haven't given it much thought. I did, however, plant blue (purple), red, and white potatoes this year just for potato salads...

CWS,

Sounds like you need a bit laboral collaboration up in Ontario ... How far are you from Toronto ?

What about cotton painter´s gloves ?

What is the average temperature up there ?

Usually it is much cooler in early am ... why work in mid part of day when it is at least 15 to 20 degrees hotter ?

Take care of yourself ...

Kindest,
Margi.

Toronto is 4 hours away. With 3000 row feet, weeding is a day-long affair (well, more than one day). And, the plants are often wet in the a.m. from the dew. I don't like to work around my plants when they are wet. My grandmother taught me to weed after the plants are dry, less risk of passing diseases from one plant to another. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but her gardens were always spectacular. And, there are fewer mosquitoes in the heat of the day. I am allergic to most repellents (that work--the natural ones I've tried don't last long enough. As it is, I slather on SPF 60, wear a hat (which I loathe--my head gets hot), and wear light-weight cotton surgical scrubs. Gloves are just too much. FWIW, I live in surgical scrubs around the house. They are great!

Last edited:
CWS,

Yes forgot about the dew ... Understand. It is alot of labor and I am sure spectacular like your Grandmom´s ... You are too modest.

I like those big Panama type hats ... It is pretty desert like here ... We have been lucky for a couple of days, as it was 35 centig ... and that is not comfortable in an interior city ... Listen to what your Nona told u ... I know nil about gardening, just truly appreciate it as I was born on cement !

Buona Notte,
Margi.

Got to run, it is already 21.30 hrs. Italy and Spain one, one ... tie score on Euro Cup ... Now off to have a light bite with a round of wine ...

Until tomorrow,
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom