"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I agree with everyone here. I have a few friends who are in same-sex relationships who yearned for so long to be legally married. I'm guessing there will be wedding invitations coming my way and that's so nice to.....

NO!! WAIT!! I'll have to buy presents! They might even make me wear a real dress to their weddings!! Oh no, this is the worst news, ever!! And then the wedding registry in my store will crash with so many folks doing them online!!

This is TERRIBLE news! Oh dear!! We'll have to pack up the house and the cats and the dog to go into the Witness Protection Program to get away from the expense!! Or change our names and move to New Zealand!!

Boy, things are gonna get hairy. Thanks a bunch, Supreme Court!

I hope every dang one of those Justices find a hairball either in their printers or their shoes. Why wasn't this done ten years ago when we had more money?

Or twenty...or more...so that now same-sex couples could be celebrating wedding anniversaries?

**Siiiiiiiiiiiighhhhh** I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go find a real dress, danggit, and then approach the bank for a small loan.

LOL!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef

What my wife put in her wedding vows to me:

Quote:
I can’t imagine my life without you,
so I was going to ask you to grow old with me.
But then I realized that we’ve already done that.
So many have been together for so very long...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1316.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	23050  

Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

What a lovely thought.

Having outlived two husbands, I will never be able to experience growing old with a mate. For those of you who can and are, enjoy and treasure every day and moment you have left together. It sure beats being alone.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

That's really beautiful Silversage. Thanks for sharing that.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My heartiest congratulations to all the people who have been waiting to be allowed to get legally married.

I, and many other people, are just afraid that many of those who celebrate this ruling will think that "the goal" has been reached. We don't need to do anymore. There is still a long way to go before LGBTI people, POCs, and others have all the same rights and acceptance as the majority.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My heartiest congratulations to all the people who have been waiting to be allowed to get legally married.

I, and many other people, are just afraid that many of those who celebrate this ruling will think that "the goal" has been reached. We don't need to do anymore. There is still a long way to go before LGBTI people, POCs, and others have all the same rights and acceptance as the majority.
+1. Still a lot of ground to cover.

I read an interview earlier today with Barney Frank, retired MA representative to Washington. He observed that the reason the NRA (National Rifle Association) is so very effective is because their members vote. The NRA monitors political activity and notifies its members when there is an issue that effects them. Legislators get calls and letters and learn that they had better vote the 'right way' or they will be out of a job.

That's much more effective than demonstrating.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I just read an article today about all the Social Security Benefits that they as a married couple are now entitled to. For those that one member is now receiving SS retirements, the partner with the higher earnings, can now benefit the both of them. That is just one of the many benefits. The article was very long. The death benefits have now changed for them. It covered a lot of areas beside SS. Very informative.

It's about time. All I could think of when I heard the news was of Oscar Wilde who was sent to prison for being gay. Those days are now gone forever.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

My best friend, the one who always has had my back, my brother, my soul mate. I am so very happy for this ruling. It has been a long time in the making. But, I still think you should give me back my Barbie doll!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
+1. Still a lot of ground to cover.

I read an interview earlier today with Barney Frank, retired MA representative to Washington. He observed that the reason the NRA (National Rifle Association) is so very effective is because their members vote. The NRA monitors political activity and notifies its members when there is an issue that effects them. Legislators get calls and letters and learn that they had better vote the 'right way' or they will be out of a job.

That's much more effective than demonstrating.
I was sorry to see Barney retire. He was very affective in Congress. And not just for Massachusetts.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks all, I got a big lump in my throat when I heard the news!

There still is a bit of work to do, but this was the big one, the one we've waited a long time for. No longer does our legal marital status change when we cross state lines!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote