Woo HOO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
BakeChef and Rick, I was driving when I heard the Supreme Court's decision on same-sex marriages. My response was "woo-HOO" and and I honked the horn. Okay, I was on my way to a farm in the backwoods, but I was so pleased by this decision. Especially since Sunday (tomorrow) is Gay Pride Day (at least it is here in Canada).

It just makes sense. It always broke my heart to see couples who've been together for so many years not being able to get the same benefits as straight couples.

I agree. My BIL and his partner have been together almost as long as DH and I have. Can you imagine being kept from your life partner's hospital room? I was thrilled at this decision. Equal treatment under the law, as the Constitution requires.

The best part is that when the time comes, the other family cannot stop the remaining mate from making the funeral arrangements or have any final say. The remaining mate has all the rights the same as a heterosexual couple. Even the right to inherit. They all have the protection of the Supreme Court. :angel:

I've been around long enough to witness a lot of significant change. This is right up there as one of the best things to change. Everyone is entitled to happiness.

The best part is that when the time comes, the other family cannot stop the remaining mate from making the funeral arrangements or have any final say. The remaining mate has all the rights the same as a heterosexual couple. Even the right to inherit. They all have the protection of the Supreme Court. :angel:

I have to say, I think the best part of marriage is the decades (hopefully) of building a life together as a couple.

I agree with everyone here. I have a few friends who are in same-sex relationships who yearned for so long to be legally married. I'm guessing there will be wedding invitations coming my way and that's so nice to.....

NO!! WAIT!! I'll have to buy presents! They might even make me wear a real dress to their weddings!! Oh no, this is the worst news, ever!! And then the wedding registry in my store will crash with so many folks doing them online!!

This is TERRIBLE news! Oh dear!! We'll have to pack up the house and the cats and the dog to go into the Witness Protection Program to get away from the expense!! Or change our names and move to New Zealand!!

Boy, things are gonna get hairy. Thanks a bunch, Supreme Court!

I hope every dang one of those Justices find a hairball either in their printers or their shoes. Why wasn't this done ten years ago when we had more money?

Or twenty...or more...so that now same-sex couples could be celebrating wedding anniversaries?

**Siiiiiiiiiiiighhhhh** I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go find a real dress, danggit, and then approach the bank for a small loan.

LOL!

What my wife put in her wedding vows to me:

I can’t imagine my life without you,
so I was going to ask you to grow old with me.
But then I realized that we’ve already done that.
So many have been together for so very long...

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 147
What my wife put in her wedding vows to me:

So many have been together for so very long...

What a lovely thought.

Having outlived two husbands, I will never be able to experience growing old with a mate. For those of you who can and are, enjoy and treasure every day and moment you have left together. It sure beats being alone. :angel:

My heartiest congratulations to all the people who have been waiting to be allowed to get legally married.

I, and many other people, are just afraid that many of those who celebrate this ruling will think that "the goal" has been reached. We don't need to do anymore. There is still a long way to go before LGBTI people, POCs, and others have all the same rights and acceptance as the majority.

My heartiest congratulations to all the people who have been waiting to be allowed to get legally married.

I, and many other people, are just afraid that many of those who celebrate this ruling will think that "the goal" has been reached. We don't need to do anymore. There is still a long way to go before LGBTI people, POCs, and others have all the same rights and acceptance as the majority.

+1. Still a lot of ground to cover.

I read an interview earlier today with Barney Frank, retired MA representative to Washington. He observed that the reason the NRA (National Rifle Association) is so very effective is because their members vote. The NRA monitors political activity and notifies its members when there is an issue that effects them. Legislators get calls and letters and learn that they had better vote the 'right way' or they will be out of a job.

That's much more effective than demonstrating.

I just read an article today about all the Social Security Benefits that they as a married couple are now entitled to. For those that one member is now receiving SS retirements, the partner with the higher earnings, can now benefit the both of them. That is just one of the many benefits. The article was very long. The death benefits have now changed for them. It covered a lot of areas beside SS. Very informative.

It's about time. All I could think of when I heard the news was of Oscar Wilde who was sent to prison for being gay. Those days are now gone forever. :angel:

My best friend, the one who always has had my back, my brother, my soul mate. I am so very happy for this ruling. It has been a long time in the making. But, I still think you should give me back my Barbie doll!

+1. Still a lot of ground to cover.

I read an interview earlier today with Barney Frank, retired MA representative to Washington. He observed that the reason the NRA (National Rifle Association) is so very effective is because their members vote. The NRA monitors political activity and notifies its members when there is an issue that effects them. Legislators get calls and letters and learn that they had better vote the 'right way' or they will be out of a job.

That's much more effective than demonstrating.

I was sorry to see Barney retire. He was very affective in Congress. And not just for Massachusetts. :angel:

Thanks all, I got a big lump in my throat when I heard the news!

There still is a bit of work to do, but this was the big one, the one we've waited a long time for. No longer does our legal marital status change when we cross state lines!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom