"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
so school started today. im pretty excited. did school start for any one else??
I like long walks on the beach, but if that's you on the right, you're too young for me. j/k Welcome to DC.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

LOL, nice.. no those two cuties are not mine. i dont have kids yet. the one in the red is a good friend of mine and the girl in the white is my 4 year old cousin. she is a doll and she is my lil shadow when ever she comes over.

EDIT
wait were you talking about my profile pic or something else... LOL.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Head Chef

Wow, programming theory. When I was in college a prof came in on the first day of class and told us some of the assignments would require us writing programs in Fortran (yes it was a few years ago).

It was not a computer course, it was just the assignments could only be completed on the computer.

And the first assignment would be due in less than a week. No one was going to explain how to write code to us, we were just responsible for doing it. A whole lot of us bought a book on Fortran, learned how to use punch cards, and taught ourselves to write programs in a hurry. (Punch cards actually were a luxury, I learned a few years later. Had no choice but to use paper tape. There is nothing more frustrating at 3 AM than watching your paper tape come out of the reader like confetti.)

Anyway we students worked out butts off trying to learn Fortran.

I guess in those days the theory of programming was to tell the students they would learn Fortran or fail.

We learned a lot in a hurry though.

Am just glad I don't have to go back to the classroom again.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
My son doesn't go back until tomorrow. My nieces started last Thursday.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Head Chef

Dang he is lucky. I do love school though. So are they in elementary or middle school or high school.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Well, I don't go to school, but I'm excited about my teens starting tomorrow. My 3 year old has preschool orientation tomorrow too, he starts his first year of preschool next week. Only two short mornings a week, though.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
Head Chef

thats cool. preschool was fun for me. i loved it. well ok i liked it. i cant wait tell i have kids and they are in school making friends and meeting new people. My 4 year old cousin, she is going to preschool for another year then kindergarten when she is 6.