Worcestershire Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Talking about "brown sauce" on another thread reminds me that I keep meaning to ask everyone about Worcestershire Sauce. I see it mentioned time and time again on "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives", so clearly it is a well-known ingredient across the pond.

I have two questions for everyone (and I particularly want to hear from some other Brits as well as everyone else on this one.)

1. How do you pronounce it? (I pronounce it "Wooster") And I cannot lie, I do smile when I hear it pronounced in all sorts of ways on DD&D.

2. If you use it, what do you use it for? I hardly ever use it, but at the same time, I always have it in my cupboard. (Strange, but true - every few years I check the sell-by date - realise it is way past and get another bottle.):blush:

That is an easy one for those of us who live in Massachusetts as we have a city called Worcester. I too pronounce it Wooster Sheer. And no, I don't use it. I don't think I have ever bought a bottle.

We also have a town with the same name as in the UK. We here in Boston we pronounce Gloucester as Gloss Ter. So many folks from other states pronounce it Glow (That would be OW with the GL in front) ces ter. I have also heard it pronounced Glue sester.

A lot of our streets and towns in New England have names from the UK. And I live in a city that has a lot of tourists. During my working days, I would go out for my lunch hour and listen to them talk. No wonder they had trouble finding their way around. :angel:

Last edited:
I don't even use the "sheer" bit Addie. It's just "Wooster sauce" to me! (So much easier to pronounce)

So, do you use it to cook with?

It's called Wuster Sheer, to me. Like Addie says, the second largest city in New England plus "shire."

It's one if those restaurant secrets. Like soy sauce a little bit adds a lot of umami to pretty much anything savory.

I don't even use the "sheer" bit Addie. It's just "Wooster sauce" to me! (So much easier to pronounce)

So, do you use it to cook with?

Mostly used in meat dishes that I know of. My first hubby was from the UK and he insisted that it be in the house at all times. He used it if he cooked. I never did. :angel:

Last edited:
It's called Wuster Sheer, to me. Like Addie says, the second largest city in New England plus "shire."

It's one if those restaurant secrets. Like soy sauce a little bit adds a lot of umami to pretty much anything savory.

I bought a tiny tub of umami sauce not long ago. Seems I needn't have bothered as I had the perfect thing lurking in my cupboard already!

Woorstasheer here. Good in Bloody Marys too! Stews, soups, anything with beef.

yup, wuster sheer.

interesting that everyone puts it on meats. i mostly use it for veggies, both raw and steamed. it's great on steamed peas, or carrots, and it's unbelievably good on raw tomatoes.

when i was a kid, if you wouldn't eat your veggies, my dad would hit it with a little worcestershire sauce and suddenly they weren't so bad. i can't eat lima beans without a splash until this day.
we would also go into the garden with a bottle instead of a salt shaker and raid the tomato plants.

yup, wuster sheer.

interesting that everyone puts it on meats. i mostly use it for veggies, both raw and steamed. it's great on steamed peas, or carrots, and it's unbelievably good on raw tomatoes.

when i was a kid, if you wouldn't eat your veggies, my dad would hit it with a little worcestershire sauce and suddenly they weren't so bad. i can't eat lima beans without a splash until this day.
we would also go into the garden with a bottle instead of a salt shaker and raid the tomato plants.

I love tomatoes, and particularly love them splashed with Balsamic vinegar. I think I will try them with Wooster!

Wooster-sheer here, too. I use it in meatloaf and meatballs and some soups and stews. Never thought of putting it on tomatoes. I'm going to try that.

Addie, if you look at a map of southeastern Virginia, you'll see lots of familiar place names. Some of the first European explorers found and named towns, rivers, etc., here, including the Elizabeth River right down the street from me.

Last edited:
I always think of Jennifer and Clarissa! "Dear old Wooster sauce!"

We always called it Lee & Perrins, accept no substitutes!

I use it in most any ground beef recipe and many things that use tomato juice or ketchup, anything that needs an extra oomph!

I always think of Jennifer and Clarissa! "Dear old Wooster sauce!"

We always called it Lee & Perrins, accept no substitutes!

I use it in most any ground beef recipe and many things that use tomato juice or ketchup, anything that needs an extra oomph!

The Two Fat Ladies! (I'm not being offensive everyone, it was the name of a cooking show in the UK).

And yes, Lee & Perrins. :)

It seems to me that instead of watching it sit, like an ugly sister at the side of the room, I should ask it to dance?

(We have had a run of Jane Austen on TV lately so apologies for this!)

Here at Casa de Hoot, we call it what's this here sauce, as the Princess does.
I use it on meats, in marinades, soups, stews, and just a splash in a Bloody Mary.
The preferred brand is Lea & Perrins.

Here at Casa de Hoot, we call it what's this here sauce, as the Princess does.
I use it on meats, in marinades, soups, stews, and just a splash in a Bloody Mary.
The preferred brand is Lea & Perrins.

Lea & Perrins. Quite right. (I just checked my current bottle and it is still usable!) :)

I am very glad I started this thread - I am going to start using my "Wooster Sauce" in future!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom