Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nunnery (n)

/ˈnən(ə)rē/

1. A building in which nuns live as a community; a convent.
2. A brothel.

Origin: 1225–75; Middle English nonnerie.

Etymology: Since the Elizabethan era, nun has been slang for a prostitute (ref. William Faulkner "Requiem for a Nun"), and a nunnery referred to a brothel.

Was Shakespeare being ironic in Hamlet Act 3 when Hamlet tells Ophelia to put herself away so that she may never breed sinners like Hamlet?

"Get thee to a nunn'ry, why woulds't thou be a breeder of
sinners?"

Kinda changes that whole monologue from Hamlet...very interesting. Thanks!
Shakespearean scholars have debated this for years. There are those who sit on the fence, and those who claim that there is no subsequent evidence in Hamlet that that was Shakespeare's intention and others who raise the point that he was known for his double entendres and it might well have been a double ententre. I am inclined to think that perhaps he was using it tongue-in-cheek. This is one of the reasons I hated studying literature--the attempt to decipher what was going on in the author's head when he/she wrote something...most writers write without giving a lot o thought as to how what they have written might be interpreted by literature scholars in the future.

I dislike dissecting and speculating about what the author meant. I know what I read and understand, what it means to me. I either enjoy the story or I don't, that is my take away, if it gives me insight, then that is dessert from the author.

Frank Herbert's, White Plague, excellent story, great description of a dystopian future...my favorite thing about the book? It taught me about recombinant DNA.

I dislike dissecting and speculating about what the author meant. I know what I read and understand, what it means to me. I either enjoy the story or I don't, that is my take away, if it gives me insight, then that is dessert from the author....
Himself used to listen to books on tape/disc when he would drive to and from work. I never liked a book on tape for a reason similar to why you don't like dissecting author's meaning. The person reading the story, even if it is the author themselves, never sounds like I hear the voices in my head. Yup, I hear voices in my head! :LOL: But ONLY when I'm reading books. For now...:ermm:

tare (noun)

\ˈter\

1. the seed of a vetch 2. any of several vetches (especially Vicia sativa and V. hirsuta)

3. a weed of grain fields especially of Biblical times that is usually held to be the darnel

4. plural : an undesirable element

Etymology: Middle English; probably akin to Middle Dutch tarwe wheatFirst Known Use: 14th century

2 tare (noun)

1. a deduction from the gross weight of a substance and its container made in allowance for the weight of the container; also : the weight of the container

2. counterweight.

Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Italian tara, from Arabic ṭarḥa, literally, that which is removed. First Known Use: 15th century

amber:
1. Translucent fossilized tree resin, generally yellow or orange but
sometimes blue, often used as jewelry.
2. (in British English) The middle light in a set of three traffic lights,
between the red and the green lights.
3. (in biology, biochemistry and genetics) The RNA codon UAG, which stops
the third stage of protein production, translation.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/amber>

Seriously? There IS a term for that? :LOL: Never heard of that one but, oddly enough, when LittleBit sits like that we call it her "Kittyloaf" pose! :ROFLMAO:

There is a LOLCat pic of a cat sitting like that titled simply "Loafing" and another with a cat in a loaf pan titled "Learning to Loaf".:ROFLMAO:

amber:
1. Translucent fossilized tree resin, generally yellow or orange but
sometimes blue, often used as jewelry.
2. (in British English) The middle light in a set of three traffic lights,
between the red and the green lights.

3. (in biology, biochemistry and genetics) The RNA codon UAG, which stops
the third stage of protein production, translation.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/amber>
Yankees don't call that amber, sometimes? In Canada we call it amber or yellow.

Back
Top Bottom