Word or Words of the Day and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fugacious:
Fleeting, fading quickly, transient.
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fugacious>

What a rough sounding word. The sound of it would make it a great fit for poetry or prose that was bitter, angry, or condescending of something non-permanent. "His fugacious affection," or "The politician's fugacious concern over..." I know the English language has its faults, but I think its abundance of synonims (sp?) is one of its strengths. You can generally find a word that not only has the definition required, but also has the inflection, sound, and mood required.

Yes, I was pleased with this word when it came today. I will try to use it several times, to get it into my vocabulary. "Fugacious friendships."

Spelling is my one of my biggest weeknesses. It's not for lack of trying, I just have trouble keeping it all memorized. Also, a lot of words look weird to me even when I've looked them up in a dictionary and know they are correct.

I have the same problem, some words just look wrong even when they are right. I joke that I cannot spell, my left hand is the good speller and it goes on it's own. Most of the time I have to write a word down to make sure I have it correct...surprising I used to win all the spelling bees all the way up to the state finals.

Spelling is my one of my biggest weeknesses. It's not for lack of trying, I just have trouble keeping it all memorized. Also, a lot of words look weird to me even when I've looked them up in a dictionary and know they are correct.

^^^
'weaknesses'. maybe make use of the spellcheck thingy on your computer? but don't feel bad about your spelling, pag. spelling has always come naturally to me. but i would much rather have your bright intelligence, your fertile imagination or your talent for descriptive writing, than be able to spell well. appreciate the special gifts you have in abundance, pag. they are a rare blessing. btw, didya know that most of our u.s. presidents have been lousy spellers and left handed?

Last edited:
^^^
'weaknesses'. maybe make use of the spellcheck thingy on your computer? but don't feel bad about your spelling, pag. spelling has always come naturally to me. but i would much rather have your bright intelligence, your fertile imagination or your talent for descriptive writing, than be able to spell well. appreciate the special gifts you have in abundance, pag. they are a rare blessing. btw, didya know that most of our u.s. presidents have been lousy spellers and left handed?

Thank you Vit. I do appreciate them. My 9th grade English teacher told me that most people could either spell well or write well, only rarely could someone do both. She said I should be greatful I got the weakness that could be fixed with a dictionary. :)

I do use a dictionary and spell check when I am writing seriously, but I check DC and Facebook on my phone most of the time. Checking the words in its dictionary would mean composing comments in my notes, saving them, verify the words I needed in the dictionary, going back to the notes and making changes, then copying the text and pasting it in the comment box. I love you guys but you'll just have to forgive any spelling errors. :D

Also, don't underestimate your intelligence Vit. You are most likely smarter than you realize. Most people are likely smarter than they realize, but that is a potentially lengthy disscusion so message me if you are interested in hearing my thoughts about this.

The president trivia is nifty. I didn't know that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom